• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3 16lbers in one sitting.

Well I'm quite stunned Nigel. What a tremendous achievement. You must be on cloud 9 at the moment. Well done indeed.

Nigel thank you for sharing your experience with us, with out a doubt a unique angling achievement, but I bet you wished you had kept it to your self now with the spoilers trying demean what you have done.
Who gives a damn if one of the fish was a repeat capture it is still 3 16lb fish in one sitting! Envy can bring out some unpleasent traits in some people.
It is good that the majority of posts have been pleased to hear of your achievement.

Thanks Mark. I'll look out for it when it goes up.
If it is the same fish as one of Nigels 16's, (which i think is possible), then that is a pretty 'normal' weight gain in autumn for the calibre of some fish over that period of time, from when you last caught it!... Cheers..Ray

Last edited:
Ray,
Let me try to explain again and hopefully you'll read it and consume, if mark who is a bailiff on the stretch where I believe he caught his 14lb fish says its in doubtful it's the same as one of Nigel's then to me he would probably know being a bailiff there.
To me it doesn't look like where Justin had his as the river is too wide but I might be wrong,obviously Nigel himself knows where it came from and quite rightly he's not gonna say as it would be like a circus down there if he did!
Also like I said before the nene has weirs and locks so the fish tend to stay roughly where they are in each piece of river, also the nene stretches for miles so lots of water and again not possible for the fish to swim up and down its entire length, possibly instead of seemingly going on about recaptures a man of your stature should probably visit and see and appreciate the feat Nigel has achieved bearing in mind he's a working man so has to juggle work, family, visits to the tackle shop and then of course finding the time to go fishing if you can understand what I'm saying?!
That's probably why when he caught a fish in September he didn't get the time to publish it to the gallery until October!!

Shaun..No one is disputing the amount of barbel caught or the weights stated!
The identification of each fish is what i am researching.
You may also be suprised to know that some barbel do travel great distances and return, including navigating weirs, locks, fish passes, adjoining sidestreams, even confluences and estuaries, travelling from river to river, etc. As with most responses on here, no one is certain as to the number of big fish and indentification of different fish present in the area.
Therefore, if they are not identified, this can give a false impression that there are more fish in an area than there really is.

Last edited:
Ray, I think you'd need to know the river like a lot of the nene anglers do as I don't think these fish travel like you are saying.
Also not everyone wants to know what fish and how many or to recognise them all as that's fishing, myself if I wanted to know all that I'd fish a puddle where the fish are named!
Shaun

Again for what it`s worth "well done Nigel". And yes it does seem you have re-captured your river Nene P.B. of 2008, The 16.8 in the dark! It is always good (reassuring) to see the fish well and putting weight on!!:D

Lets try and put this right.as far as I know there are just a handful of fish in various sizes in that area.20 to 30 max.

Congrats on making the evening telegraph Nigel, if its true what it says it clears some things up.
Shaun

Personally I didn.t want it to gso in there.so it wasn.t me who that sent it in.and I would never disclose a location.some guess work gone into that I think.and as for where the picture was taken.it does not mean that I caught it from that swim.

If the location given in our local paper for Nigel's fish is correct then there is a distance by road of 7.5 miles between his and Mark's fish. Allowing for the bends and deviations in the river then the distance probably doubles and off the top of my head I think there are three weirs to negotiate on the way.

Nigel if it was me I'd be entering a few competitions with them beauties for sure, free tackle and bait and maybe even sponsorship and a new job! Perhaps you should start guiding!

This capture is causing a cafuffle . I reckon it will be easy to put all this uncertainty to rest . Go to the magic slack , put on some garlic spam , catch em all again [,it's well known that Barbel are as daft as brushes and addicted to spam so hauling them in again shouldn't be a problem], sack em up and then do a photo shoot of all three . Simples :)

This capture is causing a cafuffle . I reckon it will be easy to put all this uncertainty to rest . Go to the magic slack , put on some garlic spam , catch em all again [,it's well known that Barbel are as daft as brushes and addicted to spam so hauling them in again shouldn't be a problem], sack em up and then do a photo shoot of all three . Simples :)

Just the same on The Pinn

;)

Hugo

I would have thought that as Barbel anglers, we all should know that Barbel can travel vast distances and can negotiate most weirs, in a recent publication in the Anglers Mail, "The Barbel Lady" , Karen Twine, a scientist, gave you proof of this by using electronic devices, and spent long hours tracking these fish, this article written by John Bailey was a great piece of reading, and for once can't be disputed.
Ray Walton has got enough proof with many photo's of fish that have travelled from the Dorset Stour to the Hampshire Avon, these photo's have been viewed by many on his road shows, so most of us first viewed these photo's many years ago.

Last edited:
I would have thought that as Barbel anglers, we all should know that Barbel can travel vast distances and can negotiate most weirs, in a recent publication in the Anglers Mail, "The Barbel Lady" , Karen Twine, a scientist, gave you proof of this by using electronic devices, and spent long hours tracking these fish, this article written by John Bailey was a great piece of reading, and for once can't be disputed.
Ray Walton has got enough proof with many photo's of fish that have travelled from the Dorset Stour to the Hampshire Avon, these photo's have been viewed by many on his road shows, so most of us first viewed these photo's many years ago.

Yes a fascinating piece that was too, but my thoughts after reading that was that although some barbel do travel, the majority in that experiment did not,and were content to stick to one area, all year round, and come floods they will move a short distance upstream.
I especially liked the bit with well known barbel angler bemoaning there were no barbel, and the Otter had had them all, and yet the electronic signal was to show there were three barbel within 10 yards of where he was fishing:)

Back