• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Close Season Consultation

It is perhaps worth pointing out that fishing for spawning fish is illegal under the terms of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act, so how does that square with scrapping the close season? It also means that a lot of anglers are fishing illegally on stillwaters in the spring, even though there is no longer a close season on these waters. The whole situation is a mess and scrapping the close season won't help - a complete overhaul of the legislation is required, backed by scientific research to establish what the potential impacts of year round angling are.

Dave

If this rule can only be applied by having a close season then it would need to be from February to August..

We could make it more species specific, ie no fishing for pike from say mid Feb until May.
I know it could get complicated but it works for trout with the dates being area specific.

Last edited:
We could make it more species specific, ie no fishing for pike from say mid Feb until May.
I know it could get complicated but it works for trout with the dates being area specific.

I think a lot of clubs don't allow pike fishing until October Rhys, at least that used to be the case. Not really anything to do with spawning but it is species specific. Not sure if any other species specific rules for coarse fish have been in place?

Do anglers who agree with the close season on rivers fish Stillwaters on the 3 month break and what is their reasoning behind it?

I don't agree with close season and don't fish stillwaters, have no problem with those that do. Know a lot of people who agree with close season and fish lakes.

There was a piece on Midlands TV yesterday with Des Taylor commenting on the Close Season and the effect it is and has on the tackle trade. He also mentioned that due to winter floods the river Angler can really only fish from June to October.
This thing might have some legs.

As for the closed season debate, it needs keeping and heavily enforced with big fines, but I know they don't apparently have the resources to enforce it, and the police/courts don't take breaking this sort of law seriously. A revision in dates is needed, and our licence money put back into fighting the issues that see our riverine species not succeeding in recruitment.

Don't forget the rainbow trout in the dove and derbyshire wye are spawning december/january , wich means we could have a close season from december to august and just fish sept,oct and november, that should cover it,
Regards

There was a piece on Midlands TV yesterday with Des Taylor commenting on the Close Season and the effect it is and has on the tackle trade. He also mentioned that due to winter floods the river Angler can really only fish from June to October.
This thing might have some legs.
Saw Des Taylor at a do a few years back. He was boasting that he completely ignores the close season and just carries on fishing. Think it was on the Severn he was talking about.

I saw the programme.

It had a number of errors. Stating no fishing is allowed for 3 months.

The Midland bloke also said its not a problem now as we don't eat fish.

And as for the flooding meaning we can't fish for many months....

And how the tackle trade is suffering...

Fake news all of it.

Incidentally...Angling Direct has had record sales this past year!

Not sure scrapping the closed season will help the tackle trade much, but I don’t doubt it’s in trouble. Independents have been closing regularly for the past decade or so, with large operations being the only ones who can make it pay. Even some of these struggle, Fishing Republic went into administration only recently. Fishing is in trouble - young people don’t fish.

Local tackle shops closing, makes you think, how far would you travel for a pint of maggots/casters ? Or, can these now be purchased via the internet ?

You can get anything you want derek, I spend a lot on bait and buy the majority locally but I also buy online when I'm putting a bulk order together

Can't fault these guys, however I only order from them in the cooler months as I dare not risk worms and maggots being stuck in a red hot van all day

https://willyworms.co.uk/

Not just small tackle shops going, as somebody said fishing republic, Leslies and Bennets have gone, like river anglers paying for 12 month fishing and being allowed to fish for 9 months, clubs paying leases for 12 months and being allowed to fish for 9 months it is a total farce. It has made no difference to the lakes and a lot of anglers who were totally against them being opened now fish them without any worries.

If they pay a 12 month lease they must have the game rights as well, I know some leases are only for 9 months if it's just coarse rights.
Tackle shops are not closing because of the close season.

Back