• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Close Season Consultation

Id like to see it scrapped for say a two year trial period, then review the impact on all aspects. So much debate and I say suck it and see !

THATS ! a very good shout mate !

Let's face it, fishing used to about engaging with nature, but nowadays for some, because it is just not enough, it's about bringing everything extraneous to angling to the river bank.
Time was, on the Avon anyway, June 16th was met with some frustration as you had to go through the process of weaning fish off their natural diet.
This being the case I think the close season should be scrapped, impound the rivers at 500m points, make some lovely little pegs every, say 25m, with electric hookups, and like the dot matrix signs at the bus stops, you could have them at the pegs, linked to fish finding equipment sub surface to let you know when Bertie the Barbel might be coming along. It could also provide in formation as to when the 15lber that inhabits the 500m stretch was last caught at that peg - like a peg history!

Sounds great (NOT!), Damian. Might push up the cost somewhat though....!!! What about the at your peg waiter service for food and drinks?? Not to mention bait and tackle requirements....

Dave

Sounds great (NOT!), Damian. Might push up the cost somewhat though....!!! What about the at your peg waiter service for food and drinks?? Not to mention bait and tackle requirements....

Dave

'More maggots Sir?..'

Hi men,

People are basing their thoughts on dates of the season on barbel , as its a barbel site , but iv seen pike start spawning very early , and barbel very late , so what do we do ?, pay up and restrict fishing to the the rest of the year ?.

Hatter

Hi men,

People are basing their thoughts on dates of the season on barbel , as its a barbel site , but iv seen pike start spawning very early , and barbel very late , so what do we do ?, pay up and restrict fishing to the the rest of the year ?.

Hatter
Good point. I have always been for retaining it but now, if it went to "peoples vote" I would go for doing away with it altogether.

Hi men,
The season on lakes and canals has proven that there is no detrimental effect on the fish , the banks , and definatly the wildlife and birds . As some sort of rose tinted glasses reason to keep it , creeping around on the glorious 16th, then come to my local bit of river and watch it fished through April and May by many anglers , or like last year where barbel were spawny late into the blistering summer . Come to my deserted Ouse , or bits of it where clubs have let it go because of falling membership , its outdated , and should be removed . I had all the same arguments when my local canal went to 12 months , now people are wondering what all the fuss was about .

Hatter

Let’s just take it a given that the intent of the close season is and was to allow fish to spawn in peace as a conservation measure and I’d like to ask some rhetorical questions.
What research was undertaken nearly 150 years to decide these dates were suitable and that they addressed the issue?
Is the environment, that we are constantly told is rapidly changing, still similar enough for the aforementioned dates to work?
Is there any current evidence that either of the above questions cause concern?
The way I see it, we currently have a close season that isn’t fit for purpose. It’s a one size fits all approach, we all know that the perch and pike are spawning before the season ends and the Chub and Barbel are often spawning when it starts. This changes year on year due to environmental factors such as temperature, day length etc. There isn’t a fixed date each year that’s fish nookie day... so I think it’s right to look at change.
The big question is what is that change? Extension of the CS? Compartmentalise it so that Just as trout have a separate season? Prove that it is of no merit and scrap it?
If, if, it’s proven that it’s of no merit then what would be of merit?

Analogous to the point of the offences being committed during the close season, does anyone think the police in London should be armed with knives or perhaps guns? Legalise crack cocaine? Heroin?
I wish people would distinguish between that which they just want and making logical points!

Hi men,

Yes Damian , police should carry guns , and shoot anyone pulling a knife .
As for fishing in the close season , I live in the real world , and pointed out on here and reported to the EA people fishing a couple of my stretches very openly , as there is no chance of the undermanned bailiffs from the EA catching them it went unchecked .
But my main reasons for my hopes for a change are as outlined above . The canal is as close to a river to use as a gauge to how things could turn out . Spawning continued as it always had , the excuses of the banks recovering is a joke , i often have to smash down growth on the better bits i fish . The bird life has thrived after all the concerns of the local bird watchers, who still monitor swans nests after all these years , and their numbers are up .

So ther than loving the 16th (which i do , sort of) , and doing wallpaper / painting , the reasons for a close season are tenuous .

Hatter

Hi men,

Yes Damian , police should carry guns , and shoot anyone pulling a knife .
As for fishing in the close season , I live in the real world , and pointed out on here and reported to the EA people fishing a couple of my stretches very openly , as there is no chance of the undermanned bailiffs from the EA catching them it went unchecked .
But my main reasons for my hopes for a change are as outlined above . The canal is as close to a river to use as a gauge to how things could turn out . Spawning continued as it always had , the excuses of the banks recovering is a joke , i often have to smash down growth on the better bits i fish . The bird life has thrived after all the concerns of the local bird watchers, who still monitor swans nests after all these years , and their numbers are up .

So ther than loving the 16th (which i do , sort of) , and doing wallpaper / painting , the reasons for a close season are tenuous .

Hatter
There are tenuous reasons for lots of things - as a council development planner would you be able to attach a value to green spaces? Would that be the entirety of its worth?
It's the same with many things nowadays Mark, a value has been ascribed an assortment of things, a value primarily monetary, a value which doesn't take into account certain things.
It's a human condition afforded us by our conscious attention we believe that all that we want is good for us, however if monetary value was analogous to short term joy, it's not always that which makes us happiest in the long run.

Hi men,

Dont get me started on green space . Iv bought a cottage on what was almost certainly the origional A5 , called Dick Turpins lane it also had a garret where people were hung and displayed to those entering the town as a warning !. The council gave themselves permision to build a waste transfer site in this green belt land , destroying history , making the surrounding area an eyesore , and without doubt effecting the value of our cottage .
But , i sucked it up , because the world moves forward , and even though i love living in a historic cottage , and wished time stood still , it dont .
The close season is not fit for purpose , and to be honest does not effect me at all , because of the relentless onslaught of the otter on almost all the rivers me and Sue fished , she has totally given up , and now no longer fishes . Iv returned to my beloved carp , but that dont stop me from thinking that there seems no real reason to keep it. If it stays , which i think it will , it will make no difference to the horendous state of our rivers , in fact may work against it .

Hatter

Last edited:
Seems like this discussion is getting a bit like the dreaded Brexit - everyone has an opinion and many of these are strongly held and diametrically opposed.... Fully accept your views Mark but not sure that the analogy with canals is an appropriate one. My perception is that since the 60s and 70s, when such venues were regularly match fished, they have received little serious attention from anglers and the abolition of the close season, therefore, had no real impact upon them.

Personally, I believe that the close season should be retained. Yes it is flawed but it is not just about the fish, it is also about all the other wildlife, plants, insects etc that live on riverbanks. A date change may be appropriate, although it cannot protect all spawning fish unless we shut down from say 15 January to 15 July and I don't think any of us would want that.

Dave

Seems like this discussion is getting a bit like the dreaded Brexit - everyone has an opinion and many of these are strongly held and diametrically opposed.... Fully accept your views Mark but not sure that the analogy with canals is an appropriate one. My perception is that since the 60s and 70s, when such venues were regularly match fished, they have received little serious attention from anglers and the abolition of the close season, therefore, had no real impact upon them.

Personally, I believe that the close season should be retained. Yes it is flawed but it is not just about the fish, it is also about all the other wildlife, plants, insects etc that live on riverbanks. A date change may be appropriate, although it cannot protect all spawning fish unless we shut down from say 15 January to 15 July and I don't think any of us would want that.

Dave
What about everyone else who walks along banks or uses rivers? Do they stop to allow the so called recovery of other bankside life? And has all this other wildlife and fauna been negatively affected by the much more heavily fished stillwaters? I think that's a very flawed argument David, with no basis in fact to back it up.

Back