• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Close Season Consultation

To me it's fairly simple.

Do I truly believe that allowing anglers to fish on rivers whilst fish are spawning, will impact on recruitment due interference.

The answer is yes. I do believe it will.

The commercial lake etc. Argument is flawed as the fish are a commodity that can be adjusted at will.

No so our precious rivers.

There are plenty of other opportunities for those that must fish.

Commercials. Sea. Trout. Even overseas where the emphasis is generally away from coarse fish and they are rarely targetted.

Why risk it?

I agree with that as that's the only reason you can give for keeping it.

To me it's fairly simple.

Do I truly believe that allowing anglers to fish on rivers whilst fish are spawning, will impact on recruitment due interference.

The answer is yes. I do believe it will.

The commercial lake etc. Argument is flawed as the fish are a commodity that can be adjusted at will.

No so our precious rivers.

There are plenty of other opportunities for those that must fish.

Commercials. Sea. Trout. Even overseas where the emphasis is generally away from coarse fish and they are rarely targetted.

Why risk it?

But, what about the fact that barbel are often still spawning come June 16th?

I have seen them as late as 26th spawning, actually spawning. 50 yards down stream anglers fishing because they are allowed to do so!! How does the current closed season dates protect against this? It doesn't.

Being educated about fish behaviour and welfare is what will stop people fishing for vulnerable fish NOT some arbitrary fixed dates.

The only valid reason for keeping the closed season as it is is to protect tradition, the other reasons do not stand up to scrutiny.

How many other countries have closed seasons? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I hope the consultation scraps it and allows clubs to set their own dates regarding when you can target certain species which are actually related to when they spawn (as many do with Pike).

It isn't just a case of must fish.

A change in dates could even lead to actual progress when it comes to improving rivers as opposed to the continual decline that we have with the current set up.

ATB

Ash.
I didn't say barbel. I said fish.

Of course the Close Season doesn't cover all river species.

Like you, regards barbel I have seen them spawn late. Early July even.

But it is unrealistic to change things....just in case. Most cases with barbel its early May to end of the Month. IME. Probably bit later in Northern areas.

There are many areas and rivers lacking any management or effective control.
Also expecting any efficient monitoring by many clubs or tasked individuals is pie in the sky.
How many will chose it as an option to ignore this idealism.

Our river are under threat from so many dangers. Why risk causing more damage.

Its such a shame, we can't get more anglers to join fishing forums like BFW. They could learn so so much about fish/river welfare. Last year, Mr Elliott ( god bless him :D ), arranged a fish-in on the Wye, alas, we had that terrible heatwave, i was meant to attend, as were several others, travelling from afar. Only by taking advice from more experienced anglers than myself, i decided not to attend, as i'm sure, the rest did also.

Had i not been a member of this forum, i may have seen the heatwave as a fantastic time to visit a river for a days fishing, what could be better, than a scorching hot day, sitting by a river, fishing for a species i love, with a couple of cold tinnies in the cooler bag.

As said in an earlier post by Ash, education is a massive factor in fish welfare.

Hi men ,

I get enjoyment during the official shutdown by taking the grandkids to my local river Lea , we can wade in the shallows, have a picnic, and watch our fellow anglers fishing for chub and barbel , some of which end up on a bbq in the local wildlife park . I thought i had got the dates wrong on all these occations and phoned the EA , giving accurate descriptions of times , place , vehicles, people . It seems it was them who had the dates wrong , with me almost ending in a fist fight when i pointed out the poor fish handling of a chub that was caught and what i would do if i see it again . Very hard situation when you have 3 grandkids in tow , and the fish was cooked anyway .
Not a great reason to abolish the closed season I know but it goes on , its more rife than we all think , and uncontrollable by the EA who every time I've called cannot attend . With the fact bailifs of clubs who do not patrol as nobody should be there anyway , quiet right as almost all of them do it for the love, often retired , and perhaps just get a cheap ticket
. Next time it will be the police , but its either a chub has been caught , or stabbings in Luton ? , hmmmmm

Hatter

Stabbings in Luton Mark? Make it legal to carry a knife and use it, under licence, then those with a licence can stab those without.
There's some skewed sense of logic right there, unfortunately a logic most seem to use in this debate!

I don't agree : knowing you shouldn't fish is one thing, but not actually fishing is another. There's a world of difference between 'hearing' and actually 'listening'.

I would say that is the difference between being educated and being ignorant, and my point was education is how we progress.

I should have remembered that all anglers are thick idiots and progression is beyond us;)

Hi men,

You are a nitwit Damian , im talking about me giving the police a call about someone taking a 1lb chub , or one about the many stabbings/violence in Luton , im sure they would choose the correct option , although i think you do know that , but are just using it as a way of defending your opinion .

Hatter

Last edited:
sadly there are soo many people that havent got bloody a clue as to what is going on under their noses
on our rivers and lakes and the close season is just 3 months of a free for all with illegal night lines being set and EU`s spinning and fishing for the pot just because they pop down on a weekend on a sunny day and dont see see anything they get a flawed impression

Hi Guys,
Whilst accepting that this forum caters for for all intellects ( yes even me! ). I have wondered for some time if Mr Kimmins is actually a resident of this planet or perhaps a friend from the planet Zob? No offence intended to any other Zobites.
Regards,
G.T.

Hi men ,

I have to say , everyone has got their own opinions, and the right to discuss it here on these pages , or i would not be half as fun . I think the closed season runs otters a close second as a subject that can divide us , well third after Brexit , but people are free to say it as they see it .

Personally im not worried either way , i did see all this when it disappeared on stillwaters and canals , it was chip paper after a year , now generations have never know it unless you dabble on the river . Im not talking about comercial type waters , but the lakes i fished at the time were top carp waters and there was great concern from the committees running them , including an EA rep . 2 years later , with no affect on fish , wildlife , and even the banks he was the first to hold his hands up to me and say he was too sceptical.
Canals around me are booming , other than otters and crays , and without doubt has had no effect at all .
Rivers are a case on their own , not because , personally, i believe it would cause the damage people think , but because the other pressure on all the river we used to fish ( Sue having given up totally ) . A dramatic crash in barbel numbers , rise of the otter , infestation of crays have overridden the rivers capability to balance its self over a short time . The Teme , Windrush, kennet , Arrow, Marden etc have such a small head of barbel that perhaps they do need a rest , but its all hot air really because they will leave it as it is .

Hatter

Back