• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

An amazing day of perch fishing.

15 perch over 2lb topped with fish of 3lb 2 / 3.4 / and a 3lb 7oz beauty.

20180921_171358.jpg

20180921_123636_001.jpg

Wow... i’d Be a liar if I didn’t say I was envious....well done Graham great angling

Hello,

I fancy having a go targeting perch on the middle Severn at Bridgnorth. My barbel rods will be a bit over-gunned. I have a 10ft feeder rod that hopefully will do the job.

I don't fancy live baiting, so I was thinking lob worm? I hear people also have a good success with prawn?

Could anyone lay out a basic feeder/ledger rig, hook length, type of feeder, hook size etc

Might seem really obvious to some, but what is the best way to hook or hair rig a worm?

And finally, what sort of pegs/swims should I be looking for that may contain a perch or two?

If anyone has any advice to give, then that would be great.

Cheers.

Hello,

I fancy having a go targeting perch on the middle Severn at Bridgnorth. My barbel rods will be a bit over-gunned. I have a 10ft feeder rod that hopefully will do the job.

I don't fancy live baiting, so I was thinking lob worm? I hear people also have a good success with prawn?

Could anyone lay out a basic feeder/ledger rig, hook length, type of feeder, hook size etc

Might seem really obvious to some, but what is the best way to hook or hair rig a worm?

And finally, what sort of pegs/swims should I be looking for that may contain a perch or two?

If anyone has any advice to give, then that would be great.

Cheers.
Will.
Suprised you haven't had any replies

I nearly always livebait on the rivers as it tends to sort out the better fish.

If I was forced to fish differently I would probably look at using a
Maggot feeder filled with red maggots and chopped worm.

Size 8 hook with lobworm on the hook. Larger bait like that to try and avoid the silver fish hookups.

I would hook one in the head and add a broken half on top of it.

Hook length 18 inches.

Look for slacks on the inside. Casting to the edge of the faster water.

Cast every 10 mins and give every swim an hour if you happy to not remain static.

Enjoy the eels!!!

Will.
Suprised you haven't had any replies

I nearly always livebait on the rivers as it tends to sort out the better fish.

If I was forced to fish differently I would probably look at using a
Maggot feeder filled with red maggots and chopped worm.

Size 8 hook with lobworm on the hook. Larger bait like that to try and avoid the silver fish hookups.

I would hook one in the head and add a broken half on top of it.

Hook length 18 inches.

Look for slacks on the inside. Casting to the edge of the faster water.

Cast every 10 mins and give every swim an hour if you happy to not remain static.

Enjoy the eels!!!
Thanks Graham, really helpful.

Do you anyone else have an opinion on hook patterns? I was told that circle hooks can help prevent deep hooking perch due to their shape?

I hope to get out on the bank this week and give it a go!

I’ve been wanting to catch some decent Perch for some while but haven’t done anything about it but I think I might have stumbled on some decent fish and want to give it a go. Problem is I do not process a light rod and haven’t a clue where to start. At the risk of starting another “what rod” thread i’m asking.....what rod! Any suggestions please, i’d prefer 12ft and two piece but open to advice. I’m likely to be using small livebaits but worm may we’ll come into the frame as well. Intend float fishin’.....

Just had a look on Drennan site and plenty of Acolyte models to go at. Is there a particular one that you use Paul ?
Can only speak from personal experience and the one I have is the 13ft compact plus.
Fabulous whether catching roach and dace or bigish chub. Has even handled a good few barbel to just short of 10lb.
Very light, lovely action and very convenient being able to leave tackled up.
Would be perfect for big Perch I'd say.

Thank our Paul, thanks Neil. I live not too far from The Tackle Box so will take a butchers! I’ll phone round local tackle shops who might have the Acolytes to look at as well. The TB rods are very good value which could tick the right box as I don’t see them getting used extensively....cheers fella’s

I was using my Darent Valley Avon quiver for perch yesterday and got seen off big time by a barbel that took a fancy to worm, 5lb hooklink couldn't take the strain! Made up for it later when this 2.10 beauty took a 5" bleak fished on the same rod.

Attachments

• 2.10 8.11.JPG
    2.10 8.11.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 467
Back