• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Theft

Neil, Chris................... ENOUGH, not another word on the subject from either of you please!!

Of course David and it is even more personal and raw when you are friends with the victim. But of course most tackle can be replaced, that's why we all have Insurance, however I agree that certain items cannot, and the floats in particular. I certainly wasn't having a dig at named Angler such as Jan and MB both of which are truly nice blokes, in fact my comments were meant to be also self depricating which I am afraid was lost in translation.
However this is a lesson for us all, and an expensive on too, someone has to pay for the loss, and it as always will be the likes of you and I through premiums. So we all need to take heed, and make sure all our valuables are as secure as they can be, I have been lucky and have never been burgled, and these incidents hopefully will put me even more on guard.
Please pass on my sincere regrets to Jan when you next see him, also I have some gear that I would only be too pleased to lend him. :)

Not all anglers are in a position to have insurance, some can hardly afford to go fishing, if their gear gets stolen they have nothing unless they have friends that will donate tackle to them, I have a friend that suffered this, not nice.

Neil, Chris................... ENOUGH, not another word on the subject from either of you please!!

Ian I have done my best not to make things even worse, that is why I have put Chris Avis on ignore, I have not seen the last two replies to me.

I can only guess :rolleyes:

Not all anglers are in a position to have insurance, some can hardly afford to go fishing, if their gear gets stolen they have nothing unless they have friends that will donate tackle to them, I have a friend that suffered this, not nice.

With respect Graham Insurance should be the first on the list of must have, but it should be repeated that we should check the SMALL PRINT on those that have Home Contents Insurance that Fishing Tackle that is kept in Garages and Sheds are covered by the policy.

Any loopholes will be explored by the Insurance companies, that's one thing that is Assured:rolleyes:

Im sorry Ian, but Im on his ignore list so he cant see what Im posting!!!

And was that post school teacher enough? or do you want to hit me round the head with a ruler!!!!

The theft of an item or items are only the start, the real pain comes in the months and years after the crime. We were burgled 25 years ago and although the value of the goods taken was minimal the feeling of violation went on for several years and my wife only really recovered from the trauma and feelings of insecurity after we moved out of the area.
The insurance is irrelevant and although it might cover the monetary value it never replaces the sentimental value.

I have recently taken possession of £400 worth of brand new tackle from an angler who had his shed robbed and was paid out in the form of a voucher for his local tackle shop. He simply bought a load of small items to resell to get cash for what he really wanted, when it came down to it though the thought of going fishing just brought back the memory of his loss so he has not been and simply left the tackle in his shed for two years before offering it for sale for a fraction of it's true value.

I hope he will be able to move on now but it just proves what an impact this so called victim-less crime has on it's victims. It's easy to make light of it, especially when we might think the stolen gear, being the property of a sponsored angler, will be easily replaced but the truth is the mental trauma is the same whether you are Joe Blow or Danny Fairbrass.

There definitely seems to be a spate of sponsored anglers/consultants having tackle stolen recently. A few names in the carp world have. No one deserves to have the violation of having personal belongings taken, but it would appear that some names are making themselves targets for theft. Social media and magazine articles like the one jan porter did are making it very easy for the wannabe tackle thief. For example one of the Korda team recently had his gear stolen from his van outside his house after tweeting that the van was loaded ready for early morning start. Ooops!

don't buy second hand tackle,then theres no market for it, until then theft will never stop!

Didn't you recently buy some second hand tackle?

"I will have the drennan bag andy please ,will get gaz to pick it up for me if hes not already been ,cheers"

Just because something is second hand it does not automatically follow that it is stolen.

Last edited:
Tackle gets pinched. It happens. Its often heart breaking.

All we can do is get people to look out for the items if they are specific or marked as suggested earlier.

Keep an eye on ebay chaps and Lewis, it would help if you can detail any specific items that sre not commonly available to the general public.

Chris and Neil. Grow up and think before you post. Its embarassing and Neil, you do it too often..

Last edited:
The theft of an item or items are only the start, the real pain comes in the months and years after the crime. We were burgled 25 years ago and although the value of the goods taken was minimal the feeling of violation went on for several years and my wife only really recovered from the trauma and feelings of insecurity after we moved out of the area.
The insurance is irrelevant and although it might cover the monetary value it never replaces the sentimental value.

I have recently taken possession of £400 worth of brand new tackle from an angler who had his shed robbed and was paid out in the form of a voucher for his local tackle shop. He simply bought a load of small items to resell to get cash for what he really wanted, when it came down to it though the thought of going fishing just brought back the memory of his loss so he has not been and simply left the tackle in his shed for two years before offering it for sale for a fraction of it's true value.

I hope he will be able to move on now but it just proves what an impact this so called victim-less crime has on it's victims. It's easy to make light of it, especially when we might think the stolen gear, being the property of a sponsored angler, will be easily replaced but the truth is the mental trauma is the same whether you are Joe Blow or Danny Fairbrass.

No contest. Joe Blow get's my sympathy, but this thread has highlighted to me just how much we love our tackle, probably more than anything else.

Mental Trauma Wow !!

Last edited:
Tackle gets pinched. It happens. Its often heart breaking.

All we can do is get people to look out for the items if they are specific or marked as suggested earlier.

Keep an eye on ebay chaps and Lewis, it would help if you can detail any specific items that sre not commonly available to the general public.

Chris and Neil. Grow up and think before you post. Its embarassing and Neil, you do it too often..

And this from you?

we live in a world,???? were info is power,and when info like that is put in mags , well its only a matter of time ???, what amazed me is that nobody hears or sees anything

we live in a world,???? were info is power,and when info like that is put in mags , well its only a matter of time ???, what amazed me is that nobody hears or sees anything

Yes that is what baffles me as well, they must have been real pro's to shift that amount of gear without being rumbled.

My Sisters partner as I have mentioned got his garage broken into (actually it was her's) and the neighbour waved to them from his lounge thinking it was Mark and friends returning returning from a late session. :(

Back