• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Theft

Lewis Baldwin

Hi all,

I hope no one minds me putting this up.

Right then folks, not the most positive post I'm afraid. Having just got off the phone with Jan Porter it is unfortunately true that in the early hours of Weds morning he was burgled and his fishing equipment was stolen. Amongst a great deal of tackle were 30-40 free spirit & shimano rods, 40 or so shimano reels (some pretty rare), a Plano box of lures and his float collection. Anyone in the midlands and particularly the Stratford/Warwick/Evesham area can you please keep your eyes & ears open. Thanks.

Cheers Lewis

Scum. Jan comes across as one of the 'nice guys' in angling and with what he's gone through recently, this must be a real kick in the teeth for him.

With Martyn Bowler getting done recently as we'll, I wonder if it's 'organised', and they are targeting the known anglers.....

Pass on my regards lew, I'll keep an eye out.....

Scum. Jan comes across as one of the 'nice guys' in angling and with what he's gone through recently, this must be a real kick in the teeth for him.

With Martyn Bowler getting done recently as we'll, I wonder if it's 'organised', and they are targeting the known anglers.....

Pass on my regards lew, I'll keep an eye out.....

I should have no concern's then.:)

Admin/Moderator Note: I have removed these comments that have caused offence. I have retained the original copy.
Unfortunately, I will also have to edit some posts where the original comments have been quoted.
Apologies.

At the moment Total Coarse Fishing magazine are running a feature entitled Inner Sanctum, which gives the ins and outs of the sheds and garages of the angling elite. Jan was featured in the May edition. In the light of Jan's tackle theft I wondered if these sort of articles, informative as they may be, give would be thieves all the info they need.

I'm sure it's not just the rods and reels though Neil it's all the little one off pieces of kit that an angler adds to his armoury over the years, and kit with a personal meaning to the angler- whether it be a gift from a mate or a deceased granddad etc. That's the kit that is sadly irreplaceable. Condolences go out to Jan.

I should have no concern's then.:)

Edited

Frankly anyone posting this sort of response to someone having their tackle stolen is either extremely nasty or a complete moron, and probably both!

Jan might be sponsored but much of his tackle will be irreplaceable, particularly his float collection.

I met Jan once and he seemed a genuinely nice guy. As has been said above, it's the sentimental pieces of equipment that can't be replaced, but how many of us lock our gear away in a secure location?

On a different note, permanent UV security marker pens are available for £1.50 so why don't more people label their rods in such a way? I haven't yet, but am considering it.

It would seem it was organised by a gang as several other places/people have been hit in the last few weeks in the area.

I posted this as a warning to others and in the hope if anyone saw anything for sale that was suspicious they'd have a point of reference. I very rarely post on here now for various reasons and Neil smart your comments are disgusting to say the least. As a friend of Jan & a keen angler myself I'm actually quite offended by your comment (not that I expect you to be bothered).

I think I'll stick to my Facebook from now on as I'm friends with most of you on there and can interact as I wish with you all.

Cheers Lewis.

Frankly anyone posting this sort of response to someone having their tackle stolen is either extremely nasty or a complete moron, and probably both!

Jan might be sponsored but much of his tackle will be irreplaceable, particularly his float collection.

Could not agree more david .I dont even think steve and neil,s posts should be in the same forum never mind box !

Could not agree more david .I dont even think steve and neil,s posts should be in the same forum never mind box !

Steve???!!!

Neil, if these 'good natured rogues' donated their loot to the local orphanage then your post might have some validity, but I've a sneaky suspicion that won't happen!

More bile/vile posts. I really hope it never happens to you Neil, Its not just the loss of the tackle, its the thought that people have broken into your shed/ living area is a huge psychological scar, it makes people become recluse's.

Quick memo, Read thread, ENGAGE brain....then post sensibly and keep the snide comments to your self.:mad:

Rant over, sorry guys.

Guys in the midlands look out at the usual selling places, wellesbourne market, the ketch car boot etc. This stuff will turn up somewhere.

Its irrelevant who the victim is its an awful thing to happen, just so happens that Jans a nice bloke and if i were a betting man i would think that losing his float collection of all things is particularly gutting for him.

As for Mr er 'Smart' i'll refrain from commenting :rolleyes:

Vile posts really? Look if I called offence I apologise, I hate the thieving so and so's but it was tongue in cheek, I have met MB and I would not wish that on anyone but he is well sponsored as I imagine is Jan Porter, a bit of reality please, some people are being killed by a mad Tyrant, now that is really disturbing.

Get a grip Mr Avis, bandwagon and all that.

Steve???!!!

Neil, if these 'good natured rogues' donated their loot to the local orphanage then your post might have some validity, but I've a sneaky suspicion that won't happen!

Of course Rhys, but blimey they won't feel the loss like some other victims, but altogether it ain't good.

Its irrelevant who the victim is its an awful thing to happen, just so happens that Jans a nice bloke and if i were a betting man i would think that losing his float collection of all things is particularly gutting for him.

As for Mr er 'Smart' i'll refrain from commenting :rolleyes:

Floats .. well yes since you put it like that :(

Nasty Moron?

NO BODY DIED!!

Nasty Moron?

NO BODY DIED!!

So death is the level where people have to start caring is it Neil?? And blame shifting to the Syria situation....really??

No bandwagon here, just a group of like minded anglers who feel for another angler who has been robbed.

You really need to think on Neil you really do!

Back