• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Theft

Anyone who has been the victim of this thieving scum no matter who they are will feel the same, for some it will be easier to replace tackle than others but that initial feeling of anger will be the same, I am just glad that on the 2 occasions when it has happened to me I was insured but some of the stuff that was taken although having no value were priceless to me and can never be replaced and its that fact that hurts the most.

It may be helpful if a list of the stolen items was available so that anglers can keep an eye out but unfortunately there is always some scum willing to buy even if they know its stolen.

Anyone who has been the victim of this thieving scum no matter who they are will feel the same, for some it will be easier to replace tackle than others but that initial feeling of anger will be the same, I am just glad that on the 2 occasions when it has happened to me I was insured but some of the stuff that was taken although having no value were priceless to me and can never be replaced and its that fact that hurts the most.

It may be helpful if a list of the stolen items was available so that anglers can keep an eye out but unfortunately there is always some scum willing to buy even if they know its stolen.

Wise words Graham, and very true I had some things stolen from me that were my late fathers (he died when I was 4 at the unfortunate age of 28). To this day I wish I could get my hands on the scum.

Lewis B can you get a list off Jan and/or perhaps some photos if possible. I remember Jan doing a feature of "whats in your garage" in a magazine (possibly a good recce for the scum that stole it unfortunately) then we can circulate and spread the word and perhaps if lucky get a little justice.....heres hoping.:mad:

Hi guys,

There was such a vast amount of gear stolen that Its going to take a while for Jan to itemise it all. I do know that there were the following,

3 x 3 rod carp set ups in tribal hold alls, all shimano reels & free spirit or shimano rods,

30-40 shimano & free spirit rods. Barbel, carp, predator & lure

40 reels, mostly shimano with a good number of Stradics in the smaller 1000 & 2500 size, 5500 xtb's, multiplier reels, bait runners & big pits. Some of the reeks are particularly rare.

His float collection went back 20 years so obviously a large number that is difficult to itemise. The same goes for the Plano box of lures.

Cheers lewos

Poor Jan, just read his twitter feeds and feel his pain. If Jan is reading Lewis I have a friend who does security very well and he has text me that he would gladly go round and have a look at his set up and advise him on matters and point him in the right direction, absolutley no charge he's a fellow angler and would like to help.

Did you actually see my original post?

'Vile Bile' you called it, what? But since the main content was taken down I cannot repeat, but in response to Steve suggesting perhaps 'named' anglers were being targeted my comment that was left in was that 'I will have no fears' or similar was a light hearted reply.

To put things in context I do have a compassionate nature and I posted up on here the theft of tackle of my Sisters partner last year, and I actually donated gear to him, as I have done in the past and just now with a neighbour that is recovering from Cancer.

The comments that have been made of me as a Nasty Moron that posts Vile Bile is (if I may say so) completely over the top and unwarranted.

I would be happy for my original post to be displayed, as it seems that the action of removing it seems to have created a 'monster' that was never intended.

Poor Jan, just read his twitter feeds and feel his pain. If Jan is reading Lewis I have a friend who does security very well and he has text me that he would gladly go round and have a look at his set up and advise him on matters and point him in the right direction, absolutley no charge he's a fellow angler and would like to help.

I doubt that he would ever make the same mistake again with security, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted etc, it's a lesson we should all learn, it also reduces Insurance Premiums.

I doubt that he would ever make the same mistake again with security, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted etc, it's a lesson we should all learn, it also reduces Insurance Premiums.

I really dont care for your opinion Neil, or your PM's.

Apologies to Lewis for the distraction to the original thread, the offer still stands for my mate to come round and give Jan a bit of knowledge.

Neil, if you had bothered to think for one second before making your original post you would have realised that any angler will have tackle that for whatever reason cannot be replaced but you chose to have a dig because Jan is a "named angler". Others have already said what I would have so I'll just end this by saying that the reason Jan has been so successful in his career is quite simply he is one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and I feel lucky to consider him a friend.

Neil, if you had bothered to think for one second before making your original post you would have realised that any angler will have tackle that for whatever reason cannot be replaced but you chose to have a dig because Jan is a "named angler". Others have already said what I would have so I'll just end this by saying that the reason Jan has been so successful in his career is quite simply he is one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and I feel lucky to consider him a friend.

Of course David and it is even more personal and raw when you are friends with the victim. But of course most tackle can be replaced, that's why we all have Insurance, however I agree that certain items cannot, and the floats in particular. I certainly wasn't having a dig at named Angler such as Jan and MB both of which are truly nice blokes, in fact my comments were meant to be also self depricating which I am afraid was lost in translation.
However this is a lesson for us all, and an expensive on too, someone has to pay for the loss, and it as always will be the likes of you and I through premiums. So we all need to take heed, and make sure all our valuables are as secure as they can be, I have been lucky and have never been burgled, and these incidents hopefully will put me even more on guard.
Please pass on my sincere regrets to Jan when you next see him, also I have some gear that I would only be too pleased to lend him. :)

I have put you on ignore 'Avvy', saves a lot of hassle for everyone:)

Hmm i really shouldnt do this and post but if you just took back your words, apologised then people may have a little bit of respect for you doing that Neil Smart. Probably the best thing to do really.?:eek:

I don't know Neil, but I read his original post and don't think he meant it to come across as it did.

Nothing nasty or vile, just a silly comment imo

Back