• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle Theft

Sorry got to say this but BFW is really going to the dogs people going over board on comments this site is soon to be deleted from my history i think there was me thinking we were all like minded barbel anglers WRONG it seem that comments made in jest are taken completely out of proportion and then we as anglers start to have ago at each other sorry people i think even though bad that jans lose of tackle is more important than the petty arguments that are going on now this is the second time ive seen this happen in the last month or so come on people get a grip lets unite as anglers and not spend are time bitching at each other all the time

Well said David

Hi men,

It shows the written word can be taken many ways , the use of smilies helps ;) , as it guides what goes after . People using their own common sense helps , dropping the subject , or agreeing to disagree when it's obvious that threads are deteriorating , and lowering the tone of the original post .

In the end everyone will get fed up with bickering , and people will stop posting , or posting rights will be withheld , not what the sites about . If people stop posting because of the way threads go , then the site is worse off for it .

Hatter

Didn't you recently buy some second hand tackle?

yes I did ,but I will buy out,if I trust the seller!

But that's not what you originally said, what you originally said was,

don't buy second hand tackle,then theres no market for it, until then theft will never stop!

As I have a bit of an involvement in the resale business I find it a bit irritating when people come out with sweeping statements.
While I won't deny there are a few 'not so lovable' rouges around the edges of the business, on the whole, the people involved in the second hand market are honest and hardworking and won't accept what they know to be stolen goods.
Second hand goods will often pass through several hands, ie, what he Americans call a picker and we call a knocker, then an auction house and maybe a couple of dealers before reaching the final consumer, if you are part of that chain your reputation is everything and once you are labeled as untrustworthy nobody will touch you with a bargepole.

Last edited:
It was extraordinary to see such a outburst develop, even on here. I have said that it was not anything else other than a Oh! things could be worse I suppose, and a dig at myself as well.

The replies to me are still there, and have not been deleted Vile Bile an Moron etc, and yet my post was heavily edited and perhaps giving some the wrong impression of what was actually posted.

Thankfully and I am grateful to those that came to my defence, and there was a sense of balance restored.

As said this is just another example of this site imploding the Wye thread was another recent example, and also some other goading from a certain member.

Now we have members being berated for not coughing up albeit for a good cause, I know I know but that in itself is another example of where BFW finds itself to-day, a hard place to be sometimes, I can really understand why some on here move on, perhaps never to come back, or just don't have the nerve to post for obvious reasons.

Bullying on line is real issue, I thought BFW was exempt from that, if some feel a need to vent their spleens there are still some sites available, even with a casual reference to Angling that will serve them well, most know that site and indeed some are ex members.

Hi men,

It shows the written word can be taken many ways , the use of smilies helps ;) , as it guides what goes after . People using their own common sense helps , dropping the subject , or agreeing to disagree when it's obvious that threads are deteriorating , and lowering the tone of the original post .

In the end everyone will get fed up with bickering , and people will stop posting , or posting rights will be withheld , not what the sites about . If people stop posting because of the way threads go , then the site is worse off for it .

Hatter

I agree that posts can sometimes be misinterpreted and this can cause trouble between posters but it can happen on any forum not just here. I joined this site a while ago and received some bad treatment why I don't know as I didn't know the poster i received the treatment from which I reacted badly to but being new I felt threatened - I left as I didn't want to be associated with people like that, sometime later I rejoined because after looking in as a guest it seemed that the forum was civilised once again but it seems parts are not despite good work by the mods.

perhaps if posters have problems with each other they could PM each other instead of posting it on here or perhaps it just might be better to let things go.

Gutted for Jan , I took a look at my tackle and while the big stuff would be easy to replace like has been said its the small personal items that would be the problem . I was out on the Trent last night and spoke to a guy who had suffered a tackle theft but totally different circumstances , he had loaded his car and parked it away from his house so not to disturb his wife the following morning when he came out , well you can guess what he found .

As for Neil's comments I took it that he was poking fun at himself and to be honest at first thought not appropriate but then thought it lightened the mood on a very emotive subject , am sure Neil was as sorry for Jan as the rest of us

personally i think the thread has turned to something far different than was made, yeah JP got his gear nicked and my sympathy goes out to anyone who gets likewise, i can still remember 40 years ago when someone broke into the boot of my old triumph herald and nicked my much prized ambidex reel and my
peter butler specimen rod lucky i didnt see em or i would have asked em if they wanted the 12 bore as well:mad:
come on guys lets get this back to normality,
Graham are we getting that old so quick mate, that episode only seems like a short while back:eek:

personally i think the thread has turned to something far different than was made, yeah JP got his gear nicked and my sympathy goes out to anyone who gets likewise, i can still remember 40 years ago when someone broke into the boot of my old triumph herald and nicked my much prized ambidex reel and my
peter butler specimen rod lucky i didnt see em or i would have asked em if they wanted the 12 bore as well:mad:
come on guys lets get this back to normality,
Graham are we getting that old so quick mate, that episode only seems like a short while back:eek:

Older I get the quicker it goes, soon be xmas again.

Not much longer hopefully . Talk about a storm in a tea cup . I think one or two on here like to rev things up a bit just to see what happens . Sad really as the forum has so many good aspects

Gutted for Jan , I took a look at my tackle and while the big stuff would be easy to replace like has been said its the small personal items that would be the problem . I was out on the Trent last night and spoke to a guy who had suffered a tackle theft but totally different circumstances , he had loaded his car and parked it away from his house so not to disturb his wife the following morning when he came out , well you can guess what he found .

As for Neil's comments I took it that he was poking fun at himself and to be honest at first thought not appropriate but then thought it lightened the mood on a very emotive subject , am sure Neil was as sorry for Jan as the rest of us

I am busy buying up as much tackle as I can at the moment as I sense a there is a opportunity to become 'made' err named is it? :confused: But of course I have a problem there is no Barbel anywhere to be had down this way, so I might have to set my sights on another species Zander perhaps?

I was chatting to a Polish specimen angler yesterday on the Lower Severn and he told me had has had three 'Z's in the 7 kg bracket recently and they made very fine eating too, he said.:)

:D:D:D OAP rule YEAH

You've met my missus then John :D:D:D

I had some gear nicked once, carp style rod bag with five quality rods and reels, sticks and alarms, bivvy etc., about £2000 worth. But, do you know what upset me the most? It wasn't anything personal or something my dear old grandpa had bequeathed me on his death bed or anything like that. It was the fact that it was from a locked club car park, with no public access. now THAT hurt :mad:

Never got it back...the old bill explained the process whereby the stuff from down here went in a van up the M1 to car boots etc up north....and probably passed the van carrying nicked gear from the northern lads down here. However, I did do a good deal with the insurance company and Trevs of Wilmslow. So, no probs :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back