• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zippo Hand Warmers

The only problem with that offer Daniel is the £4.08 delivery charge, whereas the £14.60 offer is free delivery. (The other point is the reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol that Ade spotted...though I guess they all have that.)

"Reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol"
How extraordinary, clearly, the reviewer is on the ball.

May be because he was light headed at the time from inhaling it Jim. As you say though...I can't imagine what else he expected to smell :D

Cheers, Dave.

I used to fish a lake which was fed from the run off from a large factory car park, that also used to fish well after a down pour following a long period of dry weather and you could actually see the oil slick forming and spreading out from the inlet pipe.
It goes into a purification plant now before it gets into the lake after the duck feeders and dog swimmers complained.

The only problem with that offer Daniel is the £4.08 delivery charge, whereas the £14.60 offer is free delivery. (The other point is the reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol that Ade spotted...though I guess they all have that.)

Cheers, Dave.

I ordered these from this seller then sent a letter of complaint regarding P&P advertised as free and have just received a refund for the P&P charged so £25.10 for two. I knew I should have bought them months ago when they were cheaper buy we live and never learn :p

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, I must admit I never clocked the postage charge and only looked at the sale price of the unit, however, there is this one at £12.91 and is delivered free in the UK

Zippo Handwarmer - High Polished Chrome: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I have a mate who will not fill the car with fuel on the way to fishing because the smell will taint his hands and clothes but the same bloke will happily roll a fag and light it with his zippo.

I must admit this is something I am paranoid about as well. It's just a confidence thing and screws with my head if I have to fill up on the way.

As for the hand warmers then I tend to fill and light them at home and clean them off before giving my hands a good wash/clean. There is, surprisingly, little smell that comes from them once they are going.

Much has been written about tainted hands, even going back to Mr Crabtree mentioning to Peter, the problem associated with his pipe tobacco tainted hands. Crabtree was a cad and it wasn't long before Peter, who looked up to his dad, started on fags. One of the best match fishermen ever, Ivan Marks, was known to enjoy the odd cigarette!

Much has been written about tainted hands, even going back to Mr Crabtree mentioning to Peter, the problem associated with his pipe tobacco tainted hands. Crabtree was a cad and it wasn't long before Peter, who looked up to his dad, started on fags. One of the best match fishermen ever, Ivan Marks, was known to enjoy the odd cigarette!

Sadly, they didn't do him any good in the end...but they certainly didn't stop the man catching the odd fish. Rated by many as the best match angler this country ever produced.

Cheers, Dave.

If memory serves me right , I read Dick Walkers book many years ago ''Still water angling '' and I remember him writing about tainting your bait if you smoked :(

If memory serves me right , I read Dick Walkers book many years ago ''Still water angling '' and I remember him writing about tainting your bait if you smoked :(

Obviously then, all fish are rabid members of 'ash'...but like a bit of wood preservative to keep their scales in good nick :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hey Guys, theres nothing warmer and more cheering on a bitter cold day than a kelly kettle roaring away, set on low airtake it warms your for ages
and you get hot drinks as a bonus too:)

Although the Pyke item seems very well priced, it is not a Zippo, similarly with the aptly named Peacock. Do these other brands have a lifetime warranty? Personally, I would find it a bit embarrassing to bring anything else but a Zippo out of my trouser pocket. Zippo also have a discrete matt black model for the more discerning angler. Generally, I prefer plain goods so that I can have them suitably engraved. For those who wish to enjoy a cigar on the bank, Amazon have a good selection of very competitively priced Zippo lighters.

Chris, I'll take on board your suggestion of two handwarmers. An excellent suggestion.

Jim, nobody knows its a zippo/jack pyke etc, because you put it in a pouch when in use. :);)

Was going to order a J Pyke for the missus, ( she delivers parcels, catalogues etc ) then someone suggested one for each pocket, Ok, i,ll get her two. Midland Shooting Supplies offering free delivery if you purchase 3 items or more. So ive ended up with 3.

They arrived this morning, i expected them to be the size of a zippo lighter, BUT THERE HUGE!!!:eek: ( the size of a ciggy packet ) Think i,ll use the 3rd one as a heater for the shed. :D Any way, just off to the local Shell with a petrol can. ;)

Last edited:
Back