• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zippo Hand Warmers

Jim Foxall

Those who suffer cold hands should be at home. For the hardier souls, Zippo handwarmers are on offer at Amazon.co.uk for around about £14/£15. Best price that I have seen for a long time.

Sir Rannulph recommends these. He suffered frost-bite some years ago to the tips of his fingers and amputated the ends of his fingers by himself without anaesthetic. He really is an extraordinary character. For those new to this Forum, Sir Rannulph and me went to the same school. We also attend the same club and our London homes are in fairly close proximity. Sir Rannulph will be wearing Paramo clothing on his next Antartic trip in March. You can follow his progress on Twitter.

I have two, one for each pocket. I can highly recommend them.
However, if you can find the Peacock version for less, there's not a great deal of difference.

Those who suffer cold hands should be at home. For the hardier souls, Zippo handwarmers are on offer at Amazon.co.uk for around about £14/£15. Best price that I have seen for a long time.

Sir Rannulph recommends these. He suffered frost-bite some years ago to the tips of his fingers and amputated the ends of his fingers by himself without anaesthetic. He really is an extraordinary character. For those new to this Forum, Sir Rannulph and me went to the same school. We also attend the same club and our London homes are in fairly close proximity. Sir Rannulph will be wearing Paramo clothing on his next Antartic trip in March. You can follow his progress on Twitter.

Blimey that's some recommendation Jim I will give the lad's the heads up down the Ex Servicemans Club next skittles evening :)

I have suffered from Raynauds disease for the last 28yrs so I know about cold hands;) a bit:eek: I have two of the peacock hand warmers and they are excellent:D

Although the Pyke item seems very well priced, it is not a Zippo, similarly with the aptly named Peacock. Do these other brands have a lifetime warranty? Personally, I would find it a bit embarrassing to bring anything else but a Zippo out of my trouser pocket. Zippo also have a discrete matt black model for the more discerning angler. Generally, I prefer plain goods so that I can have them suitably engraved. For those who wish to enjoy a cigar on the bank, Amazon have a good selection of very competitively priced Zippo lighters.

Chris, I'll take on board your suggestion of two handwarmers. An excellent suggestion.

Acquired a couple of these myself and once you get the knack of lighting them they are very good, one actually stayed warm for 31 hours the other weekend!!

Rather than use a normal lighter to get them going which tends to soot up the head very quickly rendering them useless use a jet flame lighter. This makes the whole operation quick and easy will extend the life of the heads which are not cheap to replace on a regular basis.

The price of the handwarmers must have gone up recently with the onset of winter as I only paid in the region of £11.50 a few months ago.

I struggled to light mine and only managed it the once. I gave up trying as i also lost the instructions..... any printable suggestions?

You got pockets, and your Yorkshire ? :eek:

I thought all Yorkshire-men had pockets Neil, it was just the depth that differed to normal folk. I would have thought that pocket hand warmers would actually turn out to be excellent knee warmers for those....'careful' souls :p

Cheers, Dave.

Doubt if you'll get a Peacock as cheap as the Zippo,but as far as I know the Peacock is the original petrol hand warmer dating back to the 1920's.If anyones lost the lighting/extinguishing instructions,they're on the web.

Weve got the zippo hand warmers at work £19.99 (climax tackle) cracking for winter also a good stocking filler ;)

The chrome Zippos are not currently available from Amazon due to some customer complaint,but the black ones are.One advantage with the Peacocks is that they're available in 3 sizes.

This brings up the question of confidence, would you be happy having a smelly petrol fired hand warmer which will leave you smelling of petrochemicals or would you prefer a nice clean 'boil and reuse' chemical one?
I have a mate who will not fill the car with fuel on the way to fishing because the smell will taint his hands and clothes but the same bloke will happily roll a fag and light it with his zippo.
The Yorkshire lads have a saying, "there's nowt so queer as folk".

You can pick one up from Amazon with a tin of lighter fuel for £12.55 which I would say is a good price as the tin of fuel would cost you at least a quid.

Brand New Zippo Deluxe Handarmer Hand Warmer + 1 Free Tin Zippo Lighter Fluid / Fuel Petrol Refill + Free UK Delivery From KenteShop: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

The only problem with that offer Daniel is the £4.08 delivery charge, whereas the £14.60 offer is free delivery. (The other point is the reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol that Ade spotted...though I guess they all have that.)

Cheers, Dave.

The only problem with that offer Daniel is the £4.08 delivery charge, whereas the £14.60 offer is free delivery. (The other point is the reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol that Ade spotted...though I guess they all have that.)

"Reviewer's complaint of the strong smell of petrol"
How extraordinary, clearly, the reviewer is on the ball.

This brings up the question of confidence, would you be happy having a smelly petrol fired hand warmer which will leave you smelling of petrochemicals or would you prefer a nice clean 'boil and reuse' chemical one?
I have a mate who will not fill the car with fuel on the way to fishing because the smell will taint his hands and clothes but the same bloke will happily roll a fag and light it with his zippo.
The Yorkshire lads have a saying, "there's nowt so queer as folk".

I must admit I don't worry about smells like that when I am barbel fishing...and yet I used to be paranoid about it when I was carping. I used to smoke at that time as well, so found the 'tobacco taint' a handy excuse if I blanked :p The subject of the possible bait tainting effects of chemicals always brings to mind the wonderful, evocative tales by Richard Walker and Fred J Taylor regarding their tenching exploits on the lakes at Wotton Underwood. The 'gang' used to have some astounding catches from those lakes, always using a large wooden punt they kept there for the job, merely dropping their float gear off the side. I think it was Walker who casually mentioned the fact that they always seemed to do much better when the bottom of the punt had been freshly painted with copious amounts of creosote to preserve it :eek: Recalling that always puts things into perspective for me whenever I catch myself worrying too much on that score :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back