• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Well done mate. I'm staying away just now until it drops out a bit (if it ever does) Give me a shout if you are in the vacinity to wet a line on the cut.

Not sure about the 'tagging':mad:, but looks a tad foggy where you were fishing......;)

Its my new venue, Victoria Falls ;)

Not a good pic as I forgot to engage the close up function :eek: but here is the tagged fish

steve-cole-albums-other-stuff-picture4080-tagged.jpg

I had just unhooked it when my other bait was taken. I kept the little one in the net as I wanted to remove the tag. So I ended up with two together.

steve-cole-albums-other-stuff-picture4084-double-header.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I've had a few more Zeds out of the canal this week. Most on the small size, 1-2lb, and if truth be told, many 'micro' sized fish would have been banked too if I scaled down for them. I can't believe the number of hits I'm getting from these little buggers. Bite marks clearly show that they can only be a few ounces a piece.:mad:

Today in a very short 4 hour session I banked two better fish. One about 4lb the other 7.03 :) Tore off with the deadbait and gave a good account of itself.

Hoping for an 8lb+ very soon :D

Steve

Hi Chaps,

Can anyone recommmend a strong landing net mesh that wont split when decent zeds thrash around in it. My Gardner barbel pan net got trashed last night. Think the teeth got caught up in the mesh as the hooks were inside the mouth.

cheers

Paul

Thanks Steve, just had a quick look at the link. If you get one of DLs nets, let me know how you get on with it. :)

cheers

Paul

Thanks Pete,

I did have a look at those on-line. I had one of these when they first came out but the spreader block was plastic and subsequently i broke it.:eek: Mind you that was about 10 or more years ago. Have they changed the spreader block?

cheers

Paul

Some belting fish there lads.

I use an Abu predator net - it fits on the extendable handle by push button and is rubberised. Big enough to fit a 20lb pike in ;)

Resumed my Trent zed campaign yesterday evening and just caught the one on a tiny dead roach - a superb fish of 9lb 1oz, just 2oz short of my pb :)

Hopefully a pic later.

Nice fish Graham, only just getting back into the zeds myself after putting them on the back burner three years ago. The above fish is a new pb at 13lbs 4oz and i was extremely happy with it. In fact, that is an understatement.:D Will check out the abu predator net as i want to try to look at all that is available before buying. Good luck on the trent.

Paul

Hi Chaps,

Can anyone recommmend a strong landing net mesh that wont split when decent zeds thrash around in it. My Gardner barbel pan net got trashed last night. Think the teeth got caught up in the mesh as the hooks were inside the mouth.

cheers

Paul

Paul, highly recommend Dave Lumb's lureweave mesh nets for predators, the small should be the right size for your gardner pan.

Lureweave Mesh - Small - Detailed item view - DLST Online Shop

I can only dream of seeing a fish like that in the torchlight, Paul. They are there in the Trent, but i will just be absolutely over the moon with a scraper double :)

Hell, i was buzzing with my nine last night ;)

Great stuff mate, reckon you'll get a trent beast before long. I had to move around a lot to locate the one above.:D

cheers mate

Paul

Ian,

Used to have one of Steve Burkes nets (caliber tackle) which i used for pike, they were great nets. In fact still got and use the spreader block and arms on my 42 inch, which currently has a free spirit net attached to it; only cos i couldnt replace it with an original as the caliber had folded.

cheers

Paul

Thanks Pete,

I did have a look at those on-line. I had one of these when they first came out but the spreader block was plastic and subsequently i broke it.:eek: Mind you that was about 10 or more years ago. Have they changed the spreader block?

cheers

Paul

The one i have has a plastic block but i removed the screws and filled the holes with superglue and put the screws back in.... if you don't put to much weight on the block when its out of the water then it should last a few seasons ... but nearly all pan nets don't last long if you pick them up from the handle.

Thanks Pete, think i did put too much pressure on the block when it broke, one of those awkward swims :eek:.

Nice fish Graham. :)

Back