• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

When did Barbel fishing change?

Greaves

Greaves is the residue from boiling down the animal (usually beef ) fat, its all the small bits of skin, flesh and other non fat bits, looks like cooked mincemeat:)

just read Keith's post back on page 8, great read and if it had been played back to me on a tape i could have closed my eyes and been on the bank watching your exploits while feeling a little sad that my own father, although starting my interest in fishing by giving me a 6' Woolworths starter kit and later the tackle he had as a boy, an Intrepid black prince and a 9' three piece tank aerial witch had no lined eyes, a plastic pipe handle and crude screw down reel seat that needed adjusting constantly, never really taught me a thing about fishing apart from 'if you want to do something right, you need to use the right tools, the right way and in the right place'. this holds true for most things in life where i am concerned, whether plumbing, engineering, repairing the car or fishing. He taught me how to learn for myself, and that has held me in good stead all my life in all aspects.

angling times had a large part to play, usually the previous weeks edition passed down to me from a guy up the road that only got it for the tide tables and to find out when the cod were in:rolleyes: and the cartoon strip with 'Bob Mussett' was taught by the Crabtree'esque guy the art of watercraft and tackle choice. think it went down hill for me when he started match fishing though;).

cycling miles to waters that were free, or the odd poaching session here and there:eek: lead to joining a local club with river stretches and many gravel pits where roach and bream were abundant to add to the minnows, roach and perch normally caught near my home water. a few sessions with my cousin and his grandfather for roach were a great learning opportunity as the grandfather was the most old school of old school anglers and where we, cousin and me, had been given shiny new shakespear strike rods that Christmas past, he had mitchell 300a and a darkbrown fibertube avon type rod that looked so drab that many a bird thought it to be a branch and disturbed his concentration on the float by landing on it. he too dressed in drab cloths and sat much further back from the water, keeping low and off the horizon and where we plucked 2oz roach every third or fourth cast, which involved sending the float to as far away as we could cast then frantically winding back with the tip almost embedded in the lake silt to sink the line until it bobbed back up usually less than five feet past our rod tips, he sat motionless for the most part, just feeding a few grains of hemp or some casters now and then, until the float would slide lazily away until the line almost pulled on the rod tip. the first sight of a tench, clinched it for me, learn from old methods and the people that use them. i learned to, crudely, trot a river for roach and later chub, to use swing tips, spring and quiver tips and later new style feeder rods. A sundridge ledger and my first shimano reel made landing bigger fish less hit and miss and then the decline...the river had no power over me now i could cast to vast shoals of bream, tench over distant gravel bars and so the ever present but as yet unattainable barbel stayed a thing to fish for another day, that day took over twenty years to get to and the equipment that the old guys used from the 60's and 70's bore little resemblance to the stuff available with four easy check payments via mail order in the late 80's. carp gear:eek::eek::eek:

has barbel fishing and the tackle used changed, from a point of view of someone relatively new to barbus but always interested in the stealth and watercraft used in their pursuit, yes, but mainly due to technology. we are the same and the fish, though bigger are still barbel, the rivers are still rivers and the developments in other branches of fishing have filtered through to many other branches. the newest development that has come in to not only barbel fishing is the use of the very same methods that the old guys used back in the 60's and even the old tackle or new versions made with the technology at our disposal now. the avon/barbel rod with it's through action and the centrepin have never been so popular as now. passion for angling must have been the catalyst for many people as i know there are only a few that have managed to keep all the old ways alive throughout the technological advances, unchanged and unaffected, and, there's now a budding 'Chris Yates' under many a floppy hat seen wandering the banks nearly out of sight from the fishes point of view and a constant source of amusement to many a carper sat by his array of baitrunners, buzzers and bivvies, I know, i now wear that floppy hat:D

A very interesting account. I too can remember WW11 tank aerials and the abysmal intrepid standard reels. Abu showed the way! Perhaps a bit of the old and new school tecniques would be appropriate. However, I don't see the point of using tank aerials just for the romance of an era. I do believe in using the best kit available at the time. For example, no one would go back to silk trout fishing lines just because they were "the thing" 50 years ago. Consign the centrepins with the cane rods and hang them together with the stuffed perch on the snug wall.

As in tripe?

Quite possibly. I know an old-time fisher of the Colne (he's 87-plus now, truly excellent all-round fisher all his life until just very recently) who remembers the time when Gents (and Mere Mortals) arrived on a G.W.R. train to fish a local millrace, the weirpool outflow of a then still-working tallow mill. "You should have seen the filth ... and the barbel went barmy!".

A very interesting account. I too can remember WW11 tank aerials and the abysmal intrepid standard reels. Abu showed the way! Perhaps a bit of the old and new school tecniques would be appropriate. However, I don't see the point of using tank aerials just for the romance of an era. I do believe in using the best kit available at the time. For example, no one would go back to silk trout fishing lines just because they were "the thing" 50 years ago. Consign the centrepins with the cane rods and hang them together with the stuffed perch on the snug wall.

Not sure that people just use centre pins for nostalgic reasons Jim, they are are still very efficient tools and I would only class fixed spool reels as alternative tackle choices, not superior, apart from the casting aspect. In fact the centre pin is the better choice in some circumstances, particularly in the right hands.

Easy to damn centrepins and lump them in with greenheart hernia-poles - at least until you see a man who can really use one.

Not sure that people just use centre pins for nostalgic reasons Jim, they are are still very efficient tools and I would only class fixed spool reels as alternative tackle choices, not superior, apart from the casting aspect. In fact the centre pin is the better choice in some circumstances, particularly in the right hands.
Just as a fixed spool is a better choice in some circumstances. Splitting hairs.

Hi men ,

Paul , I agree with you there , there is a pleasure in just fishing with a pin . BUT they cant be used in all situations , which restricts its use , or you end up choosing to fish where it suits the tackle .

Hatter

Does anyone fish for barbel in one style or method to the absolute exclusion of all others?:confused: I suspect that the odd seriously floppy hatted twig holder and the odd bankside camping hauler might. I'll bet they are in a small minority.

The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Environmental Health / Extreme Hazard Warning [to those South of Watford Gap; Northern Anglers can carry on as normal, skinning caribou etc...]

Boiling up some Flyfishers here in The Timeless Hamsters over the next few days, so inspired have I been by this thread and outraged at the cost and inefficacy of modern bait. Might be a bit of a pong in the air for the next day or two, so stay indoors with 'er indoors (or, in my case, them indoors).

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Floppy hats

Never wear one mesself (interferes with me peripheral vision and can make a chap look like some beardy-weirdy, muesli-hugging tree-munching saddo likely to stick a finger in his ear and go into an impromptu rendering of "Summer is a cummin in"), but our Lady Guides do, and extremely fetching they look in them, too. Buy them by the half-gross from some Froggie firm, Dior, that runs them up for us for a suitably extortionate price.

As ever,

B.B.
ok so its a Bramah bush hat to shade my thinning bonce, although i may break in to a verse or two of ' who knows where the time goes' but my finger will be better occupied with my attempts at Wallis casting and such like;)

i would never wish a tank aerial or an intrepid on anyone, more torture than sport, but if you can cast a line with that set up and land the odd fish then good luck if you want to try :D nostalgia for it's sake is counter productive:rolleyes:

as for the 'panda fodder' and 'spinning wheels' in my cupboard, it accounts for more than a few of my best days fishing, not catching, just fishing:p. As with any piece of vintage equipment, if it was the best in it's day it will be alright to use now, but like a vintage car you wouldn't enter it in a race and risk it getting damaged:eek:, same goes for the old gear. All of mine that get regular use got stripped bare and re-built first so i know they wont let me down and i 'never' risk using them in known big fish areas, they get the attention of my hexagraphs if the 'floppy hat' is on so i have the look of cane with the reliability of a relatively modern set up. then when a thoroughly modern two rod approach is needed the carbon and baitrunners come out, that usually means night time sessions, with a fleecy hat;)

i would never wish a tank aerial or an intrepid on anyone, more torture than sport, but if you can cast a line with that set up and land the odd fish then good luck if you want to try :D nostalgia for it's sake is counter productive:rolleyes:

as for the 'panda fodder' and 'spinning wheels' in my cupboard, it accounts for more than a few of my best days fishing, not catching, just fishing:p. As with any piece of vintage equipment, if it was the best in it's day it will be alright to use now, but like a vintage car you wouldn't enter it in a race and risk it getting damaged:eek:, same goes for the old gear. All of mine that get regular use got stripped bare and re-built first so i know they wont let me down and i 'never' risk using them in known big fish areas, they get the attention of my hexagraphs if the 'floppy hat' is on so i have the look of cane with the reliability of a relatively modern set up. then when a thoroughly modern two rod approach is needed the carbon and baitrunners come out, that usually means night time sessions, with a fleecy hat;)

Eminently sensible comment. The same thing went through my mind, we wouldn't turn up at our chosen fishing venue in a Model T or even a Morris Minor, they are not as effecient as the modern cars. Either we wouldn't make it or not manage the trip home. I saw a photo of a steam engine in the DT yesterday and remember them running as a kid, the smell, the engineering the beauty, I'd love to see them back. Unfortunately, the soulless electric boxes are just more efficient. In terms of fishing nostalgia, I have yet to see a carper using a Richard Walker Mk 1V. I made my post on consigning centrepins to the snug wall a little tongue in cheek. My view is that we should use whatever artisan tools adds to our enjoyment just as long as it is not justified on the grounds of superiorty. I do like the hexagraphs as well and I'm sure that Andrew's hexagraphs will receive many an admiring glance on the bankside. If only a baitrunner could be made to look like a centrepin. Headgear - baseball caps just have the common touch, floppies have to be the best bet for those follicley challenged. Tilley Endurables are a good option, especially in duck cotton. I suppose that a Barbour baseball cap is just about acceptable, just as long as anyone in attendance is aware that it is a Barbour and not some dreadful thing made in China.

I suppose that a Barbour baseball cap is just about acceptable, just as long as anyone in attendance is aware that it is a Barbour and not some dreadful thing made in China.

Just don't get a waxed cotton one for summer use, sweaty bonce, dahhhhhhling.;):D

Does anyone fish for barbel in one style or method to the absolute exclusion of all others?:confused: I suspect that the odd seriously floppy hatted twig holder and the odd bankside camping hauler might. I'll bet they are in a small minority.

I'm not a floppy hatted cane and pin man, nor do I camp beside the river bank.
But I do only fish for barbel by watching my rod tip, the tip maybe a 2oz quiver or a 2lb test avon tip, none the less I always leger for barbel!

Going on what I've seen of other barbel anglers on the bank this year, I certainly am not alone in not varying my approach. I'm sure to be alone on here with this admission but hell am I bovverd?!:cool:

I know float fishing would at times score me more fish but do I sit there biteless, no I go and target another species that'll prove more obliging.:)

I fish for enjoyment and I don't especially enjoy float fishing or rolling meat, yes my bait selection does vary and I certainly select my lead/feeder according to each swims requirements, anything from a single swan shot to a 6oz feeder but to reiterate, I always leger for barbel!:cool::)

I'm not a floppy hatted cane and pin man, nor do I camp beside the river bank.
But I do only fish for barbel by watching my rod tip, the tip maybe a 2oz quiver or a 2lb test avon tip, none the less I always leger for barbel!

Going on what I've seen of other barbel anglers on the bank this year, I certainly am not alone in not varying my approach. I'm sure to be alone on here with this admission but hell am I bovverd?!:cool:

I know float fishing would at times score me more fish but do I sit there biteless, no I go and target another species that'll prove more obliging.:)

I fish for enjoyment and I don't especially enjoy float fishing or rolling meat, yes my bait selection does vary and I certainly select my lead/feeder according to each swims requirements, anything from a single swan shot to a 6oz feeder but to reiterate, I always leger for barbel!:cool::)

No problem with that, I'm sure that applies to the majority. However, that's not what I was getting at. So many people can't see the shades in the middle. They seem to need to apply "floppy hat" or "carbeller" to everyone without allowing for the shades between. Most will use either extreme or somewhere in the middle as required. See me fishing on the Trent and I'm sure I fit the carbeller tag. Elsewhere it won't be so clear cut. Occasionally, I'll be closer to "floppy hat". Rarely would carbeller be appropriate. Mostly it'll be somewhere in between.

Just don't get a waxed cotton one for summer use, sweaty bonce, dahhhhhhling.;):D

Not a problem for me. My Barbour baseball hat has ventilation holes and in the height of summer you can actually see water vapour venting from them. A quick rub down of the pate, some oil of ulay and ready to go again. If the Sun is very strong then I sometimes use my Tilley peaked cap with flaps or my Tilley duck cotton wide brimmed hat. I think the Tilley peaked cap is acceptable because the flaps effectively inform anyone that it is not a chav hat. As for summer lighweight jacket and trousers, I really recommend
Nike 90s, nice and loose fitting and stylish.

Back