• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

When did Barbel fishing change?

Craig Wood

After reading everyones thoughts & comments about Keiths amazing catch it made me think..I too used to match fish on the river Severn using 6lb line and 3 to 4lb bottoms and a light quiver tip rod and caught big bags of Barbel & chub..I think alot of anglers on here can perhaps relate to that, so when did us Barbel anglers ditch the old methods as mentioned and start using which is basicly Carp tackle..More importantly why did many Barbel anglers start using Carp fishing tackle?..I myself are completely guilty of this and cant really understand what made me change..My first inspiration for big Barbel was Howard Maddocks old river Severn British record which if memory serves me right was caught rolling meatballs using 8lb mainline..I just thought it would be nice to hear everyones thoughts about this because im sure many of us anglers have fallen into the same trap without actually understanding why we have..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think a lot to do with it is the barbel are bigger on average than years ago. I started barbel fishing on the Cherwell 20 years ago and on a small, snaggy, weedy river (at least where the barbel could be found it was) like the Cherwell you would have stood very little chance with a match rod and 5 or 6 pound line, particularly if one of the bigger specimens was hooked. The average size of Cherwell barbel was very good & I can't recall ever really fishing for barbel anywhere with less than 8 lb bs.

As for carp tactics Craig, do you mean bait, tackle, or both? I feel the obvious carp/tench success with HNV etc was always going to filter down to rivers one day. As for carp style tactics, a lot of carp anglers got in on the barbel boom and brought their methods with them. It's not for me, 2 rods and bite alarms, but I do like to use a bait runner. However, each to their own as long as the fish are unharmed and no intrusion is made onto others sport.

I think a lot of ex carp anglers moved over to Barbel because they were the new 'in' fish and used their carp rods with tactics to suit

Best Regards
Dave

Thinking back, in 1969 I used to fish Topcliffe weir pool for the resident Barbel and Chub, I used to use a fibreglass Avon rod with 1.5lb tc and a Mitchell 300 with 8lb line, never thought or felt it was undergunned at the time, but then I also fished the Black Bull l length below the bridge at Topclife,the barbel used to live behind some willows in the fast water, you had to wade above the willows, roll some Luncheon meat down, and when you hit a fish you had a right job to get them out... a friend of mine resorted to a light beach rod and 15lb line to hit and hold, I gave up as my gear was not up to it.
So, you could say that modern "Carp" tactics are not so modern.

Dave

My own theory is that due to all these high protein baits that the Barbel have been eating for some years now they actually have devoloped bigger muscles...When someone goes to the gym to lift weights they have to eat alot of high protein food in order for bigger muscles, i know fish are different to humans but i would guess that lots of protein will have the same affect..Probably now compared to years ago it might explain as to why stronger tackle is generally needed..The venues havent changed but the Barbel have..

Incidentally, just before the snow melt, my mate fished the quarry waters at Bewdley (Lickhill), and had 14 barbel to 8lb on 8lb maxima main line and 4lb diawa hook length, size 16 Kamason B520 and 3 maggots and maggot feeder, he fished between 10am and 2pm.
So they are still there and falling for it.
Its my intention to go back to the maggot and meat aproach this year, I also think it depends on where your fishing, ie if eels are going to be a pain, also you cant beat heavier line and baitrunners for night sessions.

My own theory is that due to all these high protein baits that the Barbel have been eating for some years now they actually have devoloped bigger muscles...When someone goes to the gym to lift weights they have to eat alot of high protein food in order for bigger muscles, i know fish are different to humans but i would guess that lots of protein will have the same affect..Probably now compared to years ago it might explain as to why stronger tackle is generally needed..The venues havent changed but the Barbel have..

Sorry I have some difficulty in understanding that:) Barbel by nature are a strong fish and have to cope with fast flowing water, I would say the introduction of man made high protein baits would have just the opposite result in making the barbel less likely to have to work for its food especially on more intimate rivers such as the Ouse, Lea etc. that see a lot of anglers bait.
Feasible perhaps then to catch such fish on these rivers on lighter tackle?

What i mean Neil is as youve just said Barbel were already strong fish but throw lots of protein food at them and just perhaps its actually made them even stronger than they naturally already were..

Its the fatty oils that make them slow down feeding not the protein..Protein enhances energy & muscle growth..But as ive said its just my own theory..:rolleyes:

Sorry I have some difficulty in understanding that:) Barbel by nature are a strong fish and have to cope with fast flowing water, I would say the introduction of man made high protein baits would have just the opposite result in making the barbel less likely to have to work for its food especially on more intimate rivers such as the Ouse, Lea etc. that see a lot of anglers bait.
Feasible perhaps then to catch such fish on these rivers on lighter tackle?

Having watched several friends (and other anglers) lose barbel while fishing "light" (leger) tackle over the years on the Lea, it's not something I'd recommend. There always seems to be something "snagworthy" within the fishes reach wherever you fish and not enough room to bully them upstream or get below them.

On the Royalty this summer there was a guy fishing just below waters meet using light lines..Sure he got plenty of Barbel on but he lost most of them in the weed..In the end the bailiff had a word with him and told him what he was doing was un acceptable, and indeed alot of anglers quite rightly lodged complaints..

Its the fatty oils that make them slow down feeding not the protein..Protein enhances energy & muscle growth..But as ive said its just my own theory..:rolleyes:

Its a reasonable theory and I see where you are coming from regarding the science, 'tis true that that is the feeding required for farmed fish, the Hallibut pellet, high protein baits and so on would increase body mass.

Having watched several friends (and other anglers) lose barbel while fishing "light" (leger) tackle over the years on the Lea, it's not something I'd recommend. There always seems to be something "snagworthy" within the fishes reach wherever you fish and not enough room to bully them upstream or get below them.

Agreed, if it was only 'playing' the fish then lighter line would be feasible, of course it's the dragging out of snags that is the problem.

I hooked a barbel last summer and I'm still trying to get it in. Every now and then it stops fighting to pick up a few more boilies, then puts on a few pounds of muscle and starts pulling me in!

Myself i am an exponent of the term Carbelling when i am fishing the big rivers, bite Alarms, Bivvy, Cooker, 30lb braid etc etc. I have never Carp fished but what i do have is a matchfishing background which has helped me no end. Carp fishing wasnt my inspiration for Carbelling, i came to the conclusion that to fish my river properly i need this equipment and it works for me.
I also fish smaller rivers in the standard roving style, which is a world of difference from my big river fishing, but what i do ensure is that if i get a fish on in any river, my gear is up to the task.

Jon

I suppose that when the chairman of the Barbel society states in print that he always fishes straight through with 20lb braid and is happy that the hook, (or the fishes lip) is the weakest part of of his set up then we can be forgiven for thinking that "barbel fishing has changed". Fortunately this is not the normal way of fishing, at least not among people I choose to fish with but I believe if we were all to follow that example we would be on a slippery slope and in danger of moving away from being anglers and entering the world of the trapper.
I'm not saying I've never used those tactics myself when fishing in snaggy areas on smaller rivers but tbh I was never happy doing it and at present I don't even own a spool of 20lb braid.

That's not to say I don't use heavy lines, one of the venues I fish on the Trent is full is sharp rocks and to give myself the best chance of landing anything I hook I have started using some 18lb line which is sold as sea line, it's main advantages are that it's cheap thick and abrasion resistant. I start off with a measured 100 yards tied onto the backing line then simply strip off any which gets damaged during the day, at the end of the day or before the next session I replace everything back to the knot.
Another place I fish on the lower Severn has mud/silt banks and little or no weed or snags, the classic 'clean bottom' I tend to use a 1.5 lb tc rod here and match it with 8lb mainline, I use a 3.2lb bottom there and target the bream, confident that should a barbel move in I can land it easily, I can't recall ever loosing a fish there on that set up.
I don't just fish larger rivers, I also fish the Teme and the Dove, where I normally use the standard 10lb mainline and 1.75 rod approach. Rigs are dictated by the swim and the river conditions, I tend to make mine on the bank and carry a large selection of hooks, too many really but I always have a few to hand out to anyone who seems to be struggling, I like to have the flexibility to be able to change methods if the one I'm using is not working and like to think you can learn something from everyone you see or everything you read, sometimes what you learn is how not to do a thing. Some of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned have come from watching some of the match anglers fishing the big open matches on the middle Severn in the 80's, Dave Harrel must have thought I was stalking him at one point but What I learned about feeder fishing from watching him for a few hours would have taken me years of trial and error, for instance, would it occur to you that you don't always have to fill the feeder?
There is much to be learned from the 'old school' way of doing things, I am slowly building a half decent library of old books and have been surprised to learn that much of the stuff we look upon as new and cutting edge is nothing of the sort and simply a rehash of something which was being done 100 years ago, they do say there is nothing new in fishing but there is plenty to be rediscovered. In conclusion I would suggest that barbel fishing like all things is actually in a constant state of flux, the recent move towards heavy rods and lines has been driven in part by fashion and in part by a vociferous minority of anglers who have found a couple of swims where the old bait and wait works well and provides them with a constant string of doubles to post on their blogs and sell to various mags. I'm not knocking it, if you are happy to feed a swim all day and then fish it for the last couple of hours and you can make it work for you then that's your prerogative, but to use a golfing phrase, "don't let it be the only club in your bag".

Last edited:
Back