• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats your PB?

How big is your PB?

• Total voters
Not my PB but took my friend Tony out on the Thames as he had never seen a barbel let alone caught one.
Two hours later had a PB of 14lb 8oz.
We then spent the next four hours sat there giggling like school kids
2189AF59-2D5E-4650-894E-3168F55B5AB2.jpeg

Thank Goodness we are all different in our approaches and desires.

There are some stunning heavyweights in the lists. And congratulations to all members.

On a personal note, I know a number of places, on the Severn, the Trent and Thames, apart from other well known rivers where time spent would likely yield barbel in excess of 18lb.

The key being " time spent" more than usual.

Apart from a couple of 3 days fishing due to distance on non tidal Trent, I could probably count on two hands the number of days overnight fishing all my life.

The main reason being that I simply don't enjoy night fishing and not keeping focus...

I never use bite alarms with barbel fishing, and focus on my rod tips. My choice.

Seriously trying to do that on a week long Thames trip, would leave me shattered after day two. Even more so as I don't sleep well away from home.

I have always admired those that have the resilience to undertake those sessions. Just not for me.

This week I will fish three different rivers, three different scenarios, one pretty, two ok. But three different approaches.

It's what I like to do. It's about enjoying how you fish as an individual.
Great post Graham.

Thank Goodness we are all different in our approaches and desires.

There are some stunning heavyweights in the lists. And congratulations to all members.

On a personal note, I know a number of places, on the Severn, the Trent and Thames, apart from other well known rivers where time spent would likely yield barbel in excess of 18lb.

The key being " time spent" more than usual.

Apart from a couple of 3 days fishing due to distance on non tidal Trent, I could probably count on two hands the number of days overnight fishing all my life.

The main reason being that I simply don't enjoy night fishing and not keeping focus...

I never use bite alarms with barbel fishing, and focus on my rod tips. My choice.

Seriously trying to do that on a week long Thames trip, would leave me shattered after day two. Even more so as I don't sleep well away from home.

I have always admired those that have the resilience to undertake those sessions. Just not for me.

This week I will fish three different rivers, three different scenarios, one pretty, two ok. But three different approaches.

It's what I like to do. It's about enjoying how you fish as an individual.
I couldn't agree more Graham, I have never fished a single night for Barbel and have no intension of ever doing so. I personally think that good application of bait and then presentation will catch any Barbel regardless of time of day ;)

I never fish past 10 evening time dave , even in the summer, wich is why i love my winter fishing, plus its a lot quieter on the banks,
Reegards

Oh and Don't keep moving......
Let the Fish find You..
This one depends on so many things I’d say Dave.
The river and the head of fish infront of you for a start. Along with how long the session is and what time of year it is. Sitting in a single swim knowing you’ve got active fish infront of you is worth perseverance and drawing what’s there onto your bait but there are definitely cases where moving can save a blank. If I’m pulling a full day session on a low stock river particularly if conditions are challenging then a mobile approach is definitely more likely to give you the upper hand. There are many instances where you physically need to drop a bait on her nose or she ain’t shifting for nothing
I saw a post further up saying to avoid low stock waters in winter….. well I wouldn’t do that. Yes I’d be selective on the days and river conditions but I’d also be prepared to move frequently in this case to stand a sporting chance.
I do a lot of very short sessions more often than not 3-4 hours tops. In this case I’m selecting a swim I stand a decent chance in and seeing it through.
Both moving and drawing approaches have their day but I wouldn’t dismiss either, it just depends

Some great fish and posts here, a real treat to see. No great shakes as a barbel fisher, but my best is a 13-11 from St. Pat’s taken on chub gear, a 12-09 from the Loddon, but my favourite was a 12-04 from St. Pat’s because I caught it on a rolled bait. 15 in a day from the Wye was also a bit special for me.

This one depends on so many things I’d say Dave.
The river and the head of fish infront of you for a start. Along with how long the session is and what time of year it is. Sitting in a single swim knowing you’ve got active fish infront of you is worth perseverance and drawing what’s there onto your bait but there are definitely cases where moving can save a blank. If I’m pulling a full day session on a low stock river particularly if conditions are challenging then a mobile approach is definitely more likely to give you the upper hand. There are many instances where you physically need to drop a bait on her nose or she ain’t shifting for nothing
I saw a post further up saying to avoid low stock waters in winter….. well I wouldn’t do that. Yes I’d be selective on the days and river conditions but I’d also be prepared to move frequently in this case to stand a sporting chance.
I do a lot of very short sessions more often than not 3-4 hours tops. In this case I’m selecting a swim I stand a decent chance in and seeing it through.
Both moving and drawing approaches have their day but I wouldn’t dismiss either,
I get what you're saying Richard.
Any Barbel fishing I do these days is plotted up in one spot for a minimum of 24 hours, it's the way I like to fish.Just cannot be asked to do short sessions.It's all a ball ache for me.
I fish for Roach dace chub during the day either trotting/quivertip feeder and rig up the infinitys for the glorious Barbel at dusk till a few hours into daylight.Works for me.
Each to their own and all that.

Couldn,t vote on the poll, as is doesn,t go low enough :(. My PB is 9.12. From the middle Severn. I,m not ashamed or embarressed by this, as i don,t fish anywhere near as much as many on here, or, as i,d like to. I used to fish a river almost every week, until my 2 buddies left for pastures new. One emigrating to Australia, the other moving to Norfolk. I don,t like fishing on my own, mostly for safety reasons. I still love inland freshwater rivers, and dearly miss them 😢. But my outings now, are mainly sea fishing on the River Mersey at Perch Rock (New Brighton), with a fellow cabbie. Ive really enjoyed it. And as long as im out there somewhere, by a river, catching or not, i,ll always be happy. :)

Last edited:
Not my PB, but my personal favourite photo, this little chap brought as big a smile to my face as did my PB .
I always say that I dont fish for tiddlers , but in this case I made an exception .
View attachment 17219

A Wye ps.

David
I remember taking a friend for his first few goes on the river. First time he managed a 7 1/2lber so wanted to go again. Next time out the river was full to the brim so we ended up on a little section that was normally more of a run off for the water but it was more fishable and pretty much as soon as he cast out he caught the smallest barbel Iv ever seen in my life even to this day Iv never come close. He couldn’t believe how excited I was about this fish but I told him you never see them that small and that it was rarer than a double. They look amazing at that size

Hi All
My top five Barbel - 19.02, March 2007, 18.13, March 2018, 18.06, Feb 2007, 18.04 March 2018, 17.12, Sept 2007.
I've been lucky to be in the right place at the right time, I've also had five 15's but can't seem to be Lucky enough to get a sixteen, but best part of season to come yet!
Regards Wayne
That's a tremendous collection, Wayne. I've been in the right place at the right time for every single barbel I've ever caught, but still trying for a 15. 🤣

I couldn't agree more Graham, I have never fished a single night for Barbel and have no intension of ever doing so. I personally think that good application of bait and then presentation will catch any Barbel regardless of time of day ;)
Yes that's true Keith, but on some fisheries you definitely have more chance after dark. Irrespective of how successful day or night fishing are, my favourite type of barbel fishing is in the dark on a warm summers night. The atmosphere simply cannot be replicated during daylight hours.

Back