• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats your PB?

How big is your PB?

• Total voters
As we’re doing photos gents here’s mine from a few years back from the Dorset Stour.

16.10 DORSET STOUR.JPG

Come close to beating it a few times on the Hampshire Avon over the last few years, but still no cigar.

Not too bothered though to be honest ,lost the big fish or bust attitude a while ago.Its just a lovely place to catch from no matter what size they are.

IMG_2729p.JPG

As has already been alluded to the merit of a capture is relative to the venue fished.

10lb 6oz off the lower thames 15 yr ago tho what little time i have is spent chasing a elusive for me medway double had them to 9lb 12oz can't crack the 10lb barrier tho
Perhaps if i barbel fished exclusive id stand a better chance tho get sidetracked by other species and sea fishing

Those Hants Avon barbel really are something special.
Why? Any river with a low stock that gives up one of it's barbels is special. There seems to be a bit of snobbery about Hants Avon fish, why?
I'll tell you what, just compare the Hants Avon river report page to the Great Ouse page and you'll see that an Ouse fish is more special than an Avon fish. ;)

Why? Any river with a low stock that gives up one of it's barbels is special. There seems to be a bit of snobbery about Hants Avon fish, why?
I'll tell you what, just compare the Hants Avon river report page to the Great Ouse page and you'll see that an Ouse fish is more special than an Avon fish. ;)
How special a fish is would be very subjective and a matter of personal opinion. My favourite barbel was my first double that came from the Cherwell as opposed to my PB of 11.10 that came from the Warks Avon. But I still most vividly remember my first ever barbel, again from the Cherwell that weighed in at a mighty 2lb 2oz!

How special a fish is would be very subjective and a matter of personal opinion. My favourite barbel was my first double that came from the Cherwell as opposed to my PB of 11.10 that came from the Warks Avon. But I still most vividly remember my first ever barbel, again from the Cherwell that weighed in at a mighty 2lb 2oz!
Exactly. My favourite/special fish wasn't my PB, it was the fish I used to catch on the BA at Kellaways, trotting maggot or caster. I had quite a few like that and I can confirm, a barbel caught on a trotted bait will always be more special than one caught on a static one. :)

How can a great Ouse barbel be more special to Joe? He doesn’t fish it and might never have fished it before.
Also your assumption of more special is based on the rarity of the barbel in the river but no one said that either

Wow as a bloke who grew up on a council estate i’ve never been called a snob before

I’m well chuffed

Blimey, were you up watching the Ashes as well?!

It’s all a matter of opinion Chris, and in ‘my’ opinion Chris the Hampshire Avon barbel are consistently stunning looking fish. Long, lean and with that lovely dark golden colouration. They reflect the crystal clear, biologically rich environment they live in. To me they are special, if that makes me a snob then so be it.

Blimey, were you up watching at Ashes as well?!

It’s all a matter of opinion Chris, and in ‘my’ opinion Chris the Hampshire Avon barbel are consistently stunning looking fish. Long, lean and with that lovely dark golden colouration. They reflect the crystal clear, biologically rich environment they live in. To me they are special, if that makes me a snob then so be it.
All barbel coming from clear waters carry the same colouration Joe, and if they don't live on a diet of boilies and pellets, they'll mostly be long and lean. Btw, this is a Dove fish. ;)
11-4-from-opp-spit-swim-9-9-07_orig.jpg

All barbel coming from clear waters carry the same colouration Joe, and if they don't live on a diet of boilies and pellets, they'll mostly be long and lean. Btw, this is a Dove fish. ;)
Yes Chris.

That's my point..

We are all entitled to a personal opinion Chris. I've derived a lot of pleasure from the few Hants Avon barbel I've caught, for me they are special fish - sorry if this causes you a level of offence..

Yes Chris.

That's my point..

We are all entitled to a personal opinion Chris. I've derived a lot of pleasure from the few Hants Avon barbel I've caught, for me they are special fish - sorry if this causes you a level of offence..
I wasn't talking opinion Joe, just facts. :)

Some wonderful looking fish .Weight wise my top 3 would be

1-Yorkshire Ouse 11b 14oz
2-River Swale 11lb 2oz
3-River Nidd 10lb 11oz

However the 'best' was not caught by me but my daughter Morgan when she was still at primary school ,7lb 6oz from the tiny River Kyle , caught on a boiling hot summers day when we were fishing for tiddlers with a float set up . Considering you could jump over the river [ with a good run up !] and that she was very inexperienced it was a special achievement . Another special fish was a Yorkshire Ouse fish of 9lb 10 oz caught on a day so cold the margins were frozen over , that fish sticks in the memory

Back