• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

whats your pb barbel???

Oh! yes a 11.1 Marden fish is a real stunner especially from such a small River, years ago when I worked for the Min of Ag at Harris's bacon factory in Calne, (now of course demolished, due to the Danes:() we used to feed the Chub bacon bits and bits of pork pie from the balcony that was alongide the Marden, don't think there was any barbel then, but just in case I will claim an assist :)
Is it a Marden record Paul?

Neil- this takes me back. I grew up in Calne and started my fishing on the Marden. Over 30 years ago I caught two roach on successive trots near Black Dog Bridge on the way to Chippenham. The first was 2.12 and the second 2.10. Both on lobworm and a peacock quill float. Happy days.

Lovely day. over 100lb of roach to 1lb.13 oz (weighed)majority around a lb.
A dozen Perch to just under 2lb - estimated. and 4 carp to about 12lb.
All caught on 1/2" cubes of spam on a size 8 hook (Including the perch???? weird but true.)
3 bb crystal float top and bottom......

I was roach fishing.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was about 'your pb barbel' but instead find Graham yet again defying his promise not to post on here anymore..... as if.... as he was really fed up that people criticised him for his flagrant attempts to use this website to drum up trade for his business!!!!

Last edited:
Dear Geoff, I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Lawn business is going great guns and too busy too add any more customers at this time.

I don't own any spam factory either, and don't do any guiding for roach...or perch.....or carp? And my last ever barbel group is friday 17th August - all full up.

Hold on . I think I did say something like that in 2003/4 ish. But I know a few people on here often thank me /ask me for some advice sometimes. Hope thats ok with you.

Probably a fat man with a beard has been using you as a monkey. Grow up.

Love Graham

Last edited:
Howard, that is quite stunning ! I have had a Marden 2, but it was a fluke (although not a million miles from there !)
Neil, not claimed, very hot day and no witnesses, never really felt I 'I needed' to claim it ! Have witnessed 2 other 10's, but the river really is a shadow of its former self these days (barbel-wise at least) lack of weed and poor levels ! I've not had a fish over 6-15 for at least 5 years now !
My friends brother used to tell a similar story about the Chub in Calne !

Dear Geoff.

That just about sums up your knowledge re BFW I'm afraid Geoff. Anyway. I'm too tired to play games with you. Carry on. For whatever reason you want. Or send me a PM..don't spoil it for others.

It actually changed because of trouble makers.....:D:p

A PB that sticks in my memory was not one of my captures but that of my then 8 year old daughter Morgan . We were floatfishing for basically anything that came along near the mouth of the tiny river Kyle a tributary of the Yorkshire Ouse . It was a baking hot summers afternoon , the tiddlers were feeding OK but catching a barbel was not something we were thinking of . A shout from Morgan , ''got one ''!, I looked round and the old match rod was bent rather alarmingly , centre pin screaming . The river was literally as wide as the rod . Luckily the fish swam straight downstream and we followed it until it swam in to the Ouse ! This was very fortunate and allowed us to gently coax the fish nearer and nearer the side . After much give and take , we eventually got the fish on the bank of the Kyle from where it had set off .7lb 5oz , single maggot , size 16 hook and 3lb line, not bad for a little un ! I was bricking it but the confidence of youth won over . Happy days :)

You are losing track graham- your join date on this website was 13/12/09!

geoff, Its your good self losing track,as i joined in about 2002ish,and my join
date says 18.01.2010 the format of BFW was altered for various reasons,
so think the start dates changed then.

whatever the reasons,when i joined in 2002 Graham was a regular poster,
know this as often received advice from him

from what iv heard the river roach have declined, my biggest is probably just over a lb but i had the nesy season i could possobly have last year doing 3 pbs chub 5lb 8oz, perch 3lb 8oz, barbel 10lb 4oz not bad to say id been away from the sport for 4 years and the pb barbel was caught from the stretch of a trent i was brought up on general course fishing with my dad which was a massive acheivement as a decent barbel from that stretch is very very hard work i blanked for 3 full weekends and never got disheartened and always believed in myself. i didnt really know much about barbel and still got stacks to learn but another acheivement was to catch a barbel from the local which happened after 5 nghts of blanking one friday night i said to my dad im off to catch a barbel and he said the first fish you will get will be chub sure enough he was right however i never gave up and walked in at 3:30am saturday morning with my 3rd ever barbel of 4lb 3oz the other two come from a still water and thats where the qddiction began for me the next dqy i went back and broke my pb within less than 24hrs a weekend never to forget :):):):)

My knowledge of bfw graham shows you have thrown your dummy out the pram 4 times threatening to leave bfw but always slide back in so you can promote your guiding and merchandise.

I thought this thread was about 'your pb barbel' but instead find Graham yet again defying his promise not to post on here anymore..... as if.... as he was really fed up that people criticised him for his flagrant attempts to use this website to drum up trade for his business!!!!

Geoff,again methinks your way off the mark,his reputation as a good fishing
guide and all round nice fellow,is well known to hundreds of barbel anglers
for many years,and think he could continue his guiding hobby for many years
from word of mouth from very satisfied ex customers.
might add i havent been one.

talking Personal bests,around about 2005 i posted here complaining about the litter infested rivers i was fishing,and received a PM from a guy called G.E.
inviting me to fish a clean pretty river,and was pleased to take him up on his offer.Arrived at his home 7.0 am went to the river Loddon,it was as he said,
very pretty,i blanked,but enjoyed netting a 7lb 4oz chub for him,and learnt
a bit about his style of barbel fishing.

As id blanked had a second offer to barbel fish,2 weeks later on the Kennet,
so again returned to Grahams home 7.0am and off to the kennet we went,
had some brilliant tuition on rollin meat,graham 4 me nil,but got the gist of
rollin meat.
Back to the weirpool,and low water conditions were difficult,but nearing dusk
and my rodtip looped over,and over the net came a 9lb barbel,happy!!
back to grahams for a cup of tea,10.30pm and time to return home,vey happy.

Two days fishing,32 hours of friendly advice,and no money asked for,from
a real nice guy who doesent need to tout for busines.
That is one of my personal bests.........thanks graham

Glad to hear you are earning a honest living at last Graham:) I'm in the lawn business too, and one of the perks is I get a good supply of lobs.

Back to the Roach, had a look at one of my Tewkesbury based Mill Avon roach swims yesterday with a hope of fishing there soon, as I peered over the undergrowth I noticed a huge swirl in the River...Pike? Otter? I thought, but a few seconds later all was revealed...

BL00DY CORMORANT :mad:

One of these posters contributes lots of positives to BFW in terms of advice, banter and opportunities to join fish ins, guided or otherwise.

The other nothing but vindictive sniping, usually misdirected, which has got him banned from various other forums. BFW would be a better place if it was suggested he carried out his trolling elsewhere.

Howard, that is quite stunning ! I have had a Marden 2, but it was a fluke (although not a million miles from there !)
Neil, not claimed, very hot day and no witnesses, never really felt I 'I needed' to claim it ! Have witnessed 2 other 10's, but the river really is a shadow of its former self these days (barbel-wise at least) lack of weed and poor levels ! I've not had a fish over 6-15 for at least 5 years now !
My friends brother used to tell a similar story about the Chub in Calne !

I agree the claim is possibly not worth the hassle, not that I think I ever had to bother myself with that problem:)
The Marden is a chalk stream I am pretty sure, and I know a smaller but another chalk stream that is another tributary to the Bristol Avon, and the Roach and Chub that were caught b ymy young sons years ago were of stunnig quality, given the size of the 'River', most would ot give it a second glance. I do hope the Marden returns to it's fomer glory one day, love these sort of places.

Geoff,

Can you please explain what your problem with Graham is and stop sniping.

You are not really adding anything to the post.

Get on with it or get over it!

Jeff

Dont know what this grudge is that Geoff has with Graham but i will say that Foxy is a top man! He intruduced my son and myself to the River Loddon and St. Pats. Gave us tips and pointers which allowed us to up our PB's almost instantly. He is still giving me pointers and i bet he is doing the same for many on here...Great Guy! Keep doing it Foxy and take no notice of such people:)

Geoff has long been a bafoon and just cant seem to resist having a pop at anyone with a bit of a name. About time he was thrown off here really.

Back