• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

whats your most used lead system??

I use a similar basic run rig to that Howard's post shows when I need more than my usual 3 swan link for barbeling. However, in a situation (some styles of carping for instance) when you really want the rig to run, I don't like plastic run rings much...the line soon cuts into them and they are then non-run rings :p In that instance, I buy cheap lined rod rings and DIY them, then attach them via a silicon sleeved rotten bottom (B/S to suit situation)

I also use a long anti-tangle sleeve on the hook link, which completely covers my quick change link, loop and loop knot, and the bottom section of the swivel. By the time the tulip bead covers the top of the swivel and that knot, there is virtually nothing left exposed for the hook to catch on, and the separation between hook link and main line is huge. For longer range casting, add a bag of some sort or a PVA stringer to the hook and you would have to do something REALLY strange to ever get a tangle :p

Cheers, Dave.

I use pva foam on the hook to stop the hook snagging when letting the lead roll on the bottom of the tidal trent. Has work a treat for me ;).

I'm just trying some of the "new improved" Enterprise clips on my rigs at the moment. They are a bit fiddly to put together but what I like about them and the reason why I bought them, is that it won't mean a dismantling of the rig when I get snagged and have to pull for the lead to break away I will just have to replace the clip that attaches to the end of the run ring. That's the theory anyway which I have yet to test!

Let us know how you get on John - the theory sounds good but i wonder if in practice it would be just as easy to snip the mainline put a new clip on and tie the hooklink back on! I bought loads of the original snag safe clips years ago and won't be running out soon but it's good to know Andy has them in the BFW shop should i need to top up.

Hi John. Hope you are well.

Yes, that was the "improved" idea re not having to do as Andrew suggests. It just took me longer to put a new clip in than retie...

Andrew. Me too. Just had another 3 packs from BFW to top up.

Dave. Yes makes sense what you say. Very similar really, the tulip bead (must be rubber) covers all the swivel (size 8) except the eye..or clip.

Graham

Graham

Back