• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

whats your most used lead system??

LOL HAHAHA That made me laugh it started off from lead system to what river is more powerful lol. But tbh mate i really dont know much about the severn i just didnt think it was as powerful as the tidal trent mate. But i personally i like the way i fish the trent im just lucky to have a river less than a mile away with barbel up to 10 which i can enjoy the pleasure but when i get on the trent i take it alot more serious. You may have a bigger river but weve got bigger barbel na na na na na :D :p lol (its all in good fun)
Regards

You've got THREE beautiful rivers that hold barbel to around 15lbs within 10 miles of Meadowhell and you still choose to go beachcasting on the lower Trent. :D

What three rivers are they? Cant beat a bit of beachcasting for the flatties lol :D

Im thinking of trying a running rig, im wanting the lead to break off if it becomes snagged whilst playing a fish. tips or info would be great. I jusy dont like the idea of a barbel swimming around with an hook in its mouth due to the lead not having a weak point.
Regards

Im thinking of trying a running rig, im wanting the lead to break off if it becomes snagged whilst playing a fish. tips or info would be great. I jusy dont like the idea of a barbel swimming around with an hook in its mouth due to the lead not having a weak point.
Regards

Enterprise Lead Clip.

Enterprise Lead Clip.

Cheers Ian, not sure it would be capable of chucking the weight out mate. Iv used the korda running rig kit which is good when theres no snags, but not really ideal on the trent though lol.

Only an idiot wouldn't use some type of Breakaway lead system when fishing for Barbel. Fish safety comes first not some tuppennyhalfpenny lead. Enterprise are good. fishtek luresavers better. lead clips in the right hands ok, in the wrong hands a disaster. year on year more Barbel I catch with "commercial mouth".
Ps not being personal my opinion

Last edited:
Cheers Jon, its jusy something i want to try. The lead clips have been working but i cant seem to find a good quality mate to withstand the 6oz feeders might start and make them with 4lb line instead of 30lb. Will take a look at the fishtek ones.
Thanks

Only an idiot wouldn't use some type of Breakaway lead system when fishing for Barbel. Fish safety comes first not some tuppennyhalfpenny lead. Enterprise are good. fishtek luresavers better. lead clips in the right hands ok, in the wrong hands a disaster. year on year more Barbel I catch with "commercial mouth".

I've never used a 'breakaway' or any other type of 'lead system', unless you count a link swivel, and have no intention of starting now as I see no need at all. In fact I would suggest that if you have to have them tight enough to withstand casting big feeders on the Trent then they will be too tight to drop the lead in a snag situation anyway?

PS. I resent the implication.:mad:

Actually I lie, I do sometimes use those enterprise run rings which are supposed to drop the lead but Ive never had one do it yet

Last edited:
Wayne. I've caught over 300 barbel from all over the Trent in the last few seasons. I have never once had a barbel on and had to pull for a break. In fact i can count on one hand the number of barbel that have broken me at all. I use strong tackle - combi rigs and 30lb braid. On the rare occassions i get stuck fast on a snag, the hook opens up.

If, in the extremely unlikely event i got snagged up with a barbel attached and the line broke, i use a simple running rig so the fish would only be towing around a hooklink at worst.

So not being personal when you say only idiots would not use a breakaway system? They are not 100% safe and would may only serve to give a false sense of security or 'righteousness'.
Never seen a 'commercial' barbel mouth yet down this way, but that is a concern, I am sure.

If, and only if, you TRULY want to avoid the chance of a barbel trailing a lead around, you'll always:
a/. use a running rig.
b/. use a barbless hook.
Doing anything else compromises fish safety.
No compromise, no insincere breast-beating...safety must come first.
But that's just my opinion.

Never had a prob using this,safe,and easy,.....simples

barbelrig.jpg

Thats how im going to do it but i need a weak point to snap the lead off when it gets caught in a snag

Thats how im going to do it but i need a weak point to snap the lead off when it gets caught in a snag

Wayne the pictured rig Does have a snag safe link,that dumps the lead
under pressure.......various makers sell different types,think pictured is an
Enterprise snag safe,know they work as have lost a few leads when snagged in weed,
but worth it to know,a fish wont become tethered

Howard Pretty much the same, except I would dump the round bead and change the rubber to a tulip bead covering the swivel.

You'll be able to put the ring of the snag safe over the rubber tulip beads pointed end and ensure no tangles on casting.

Graham

Howard Pretty much the same, except I would dump the round bead and change the rubber to a tulip bead covering the swivel.

You'll be able to put the ring of the snag safe over the rubber tulip beads pointed end and ensure no tangles on casting.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I note in another thread that you stress that you use the older version of the Enterprise snag safe connector. Interesting mate...what is your reason for that? I assume you find that the 'new improved version' is not an improvement at all?

Cheers, Dave.

Never had a prob using this,safe,and easy,.....simples

barbelrig.jpg

Terry won't be happy with that hook! Looks good to me though. :):)

That's the older version of the Enterprise Snag Safe run ring - they work a treat, not tried the new one working on the principal that if it ain't broke. . .

the version pictured does break if your lead gets stuck!

What some of you haven't realised that Wayne fishes the Trent, its not your normal river its 50-60 yards wide has the biggest flow of cubic metres of any river in the UK. yes you can fish off your rod end or fish the way you do on smaller rivers but eventually after a few sessions or years it may dawn on you that you have been missing out and maybe in a big way.
Personally I dont fish mono. I fish braid which is a differrent beast entirely. Rigs wise you need at least a fixed or semi fixed rig, why because of the distance and length of bows of line involved. Its not uncommon to fish at 20yds and have a bow of ten metres plus. Fishing a fixed or semi fixed rig sets the hookand shows.up on the tip an unmistakeable drop back bite. Imagine fishing a running rig? I have and it works to some extent but not nearly as effective as the semi or fixed rig, especially at distance the further put the less effective.
As I have said I dont fish mono and wayne knows my reasons, but as some have said a tulip bead with a big eye swivel attaching a feeder/lead with a tail rubber is enough to get the desired effect.
As I have said through this thread is safety of the fish is key. If i hook a fish and it snags me my weakest link is the lead link which generally breaks well before.my main line.
Lots to think about and not one way to skin a cat.

Dave. You have to put the new one together. Fiddly.

The one mentioned by Andrew, and shown by Howard is the old type. Perfect.

Worth mentioning I always use Diamond Swivels...not the twisted wire ones that the line can, and does, snag on.

I also take my hair rig tying down the shaft to at least level with where the hook starts to bend ...unless I'm carp fishing.

Graham

Last edited:
Back