• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

whats your most used lead system??

Wayne Glossop

Just wondering what your most used lead system is i use the korda safe zone semi-fixed bolt rig which i will stick to the same rig but will change from korda as im very disappointed with the quality of the lead clip and tail rubber the clip breaks and rubber splits.
Regards

What is a lead system? I use the sinker that keeps the bait where I want it, usually something I've made myself. I think someone has been well and truly hooked by the marketing men.

What is a lead system? I use the sinker that keeps the bait where I want it, usually something I've made myself. I think someone has been well and truly hooked by the marketing men.
Lol im certainly a tart in the fishing game :D

Lol im certainly a tart in the fishing game :D

You might want to try to become more of a tart in the photography stakes Wayne....if you get any further away from the camera than you are in that shot you are using as your avatar, we will need to use Google earth to find you :D:p:D

Cheers, Dave.

You might want to try to become more of a tart in the photography stakes Wayne....if you get any further away from the camera than you are in that shot you are using as your avatar, we will need to use Google earth to find you :D:p:D

Cheers, Dave.

Lol trust you Dave haha, dont blame me its the missus with the camera on that one :D. Infact il change it for you Mr Gauntlett to the recnet 10lb on the dot, which i caught on sunday lol let me know if this better haha
Regards

Last edited:
Lol trust you Dave haha, dont blame me its the missus with the camera on that one :D
Regards

I know the feeling Wayne. I had some pictures taken for me of some barbel, on my first night out since getting back into river fishing three years ago...on opening night at that. The only other angler I could find was as peesed as a fart :D

Some of the pictures were interesting, to say the least :p

Cheers, Dave.

The latest one is a bit better Wayne...although it looks like it was taken around 1850 in America....judging by the top of the covered wagon I can just see peeking over the bank behind you :p

Only kidding mate...I haven't got the hang of self takes at all yet...I intend to get some practice in as soon as I catch a fish :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

The latest one is a bit better Wayne...although it looks like it was taken around 1850 in America....judging by the top of the covered wagon I can just see peeking over the bank behind you :p

Only kidding mate...I haven't got the hang of self takes at all yet...I intend to get some practice in as soon as I catch a fish :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Lol can be a nightmare self takes especially if the fish dont co-operate :D, i had same problem with another angler taking the picture of my p.b think he might have been a touch jealous :D :p im sort of getting to grips with it all now :). I practiced on garden holding nothing :D
Regards

Recently been using 6 ounce breakaways giving me more chance of hooking summat.

What?
Alll this has got me a bit worried, I always use as light a lead as I can get away with, and always a running ledger, I suppose that is nothing like a bolt rig, but seems to work, besides I get no enjoyment with having to lob out heavy leads as well, besides are the fish in that flow that needs a 6 ounce lead...I think not .
Breakaway leads Pah!!

Hi men,

Guru lead clip system . Small , neat , great swivels , wont change from them for a long long time . If anyone watch barbel feeding in tap clear water , as we have for many years , then I see no point in running leads . With a lead clip the barbel takes the lead off the bottom with it , an advantage in rocky swims . Tighten your rod up to your lead to any degree then running leads become 1 3/4 Tc bolt rigs:D .

Hatter

Hi men,

I also like to use leads without the swivels , tie a little loop of 4 lb mono to the lead and put that in the clip , works well .

Hatter

What?
Alll this has got me a bit worried, I always use as light a lead as I can get away with, and always a running ledger, I suppose that is nothing like a bolt rig, but seems to work, besides I get no enjoyment with having to lob out heavy leads as well, besides are the fish in that flow that needs a 6 ounce lead...I think not .
Breakaway leads Pah!!

Its the trent with big leads mate i only use 6oz up to 10oz when in a really bad flood pal.

Lol can be a nightmare self takes especially if the fish dont co-operate :D, i had same problem with another angler taking the picture of my p.b think he might have been a touch jealous :D :p im sort of getting to grips with it all now :). I practiced on garden holding nothing :D
Regards

Its ok practicing in the garden , I usually set mine up on bank with camera on extending bankstick set the height you want and put insulation tape round extending bit were it joins the bit in the bank , that way you can remove extending bit and camera and put it safe away from the elements or anyone coming past , my main problem is that the fish always look great but if the fish take during dark then I end up looking either half asleep of very deshevelled .

Regarding lead arrangement I use a solar run ring with lead attached with link attachment .

Lol iv got it sussed now bob with gardner camera adaptor mate i leave fish in water to rest while i get mine set up

What?
Breakaway leads Pah!!

Agree with most of the above a simple run rig does the trick & use as light a lead as i can get away with but on the tidal trent sometimes 6oz is the minium required to hold bottom.
Then again it all depends on swim choice flooded or not.

The only reason i dont tend to use a running rig is if the lead snags inbetween two rocks for instance then the lead can cost you fish, where as using the semi fixed bolt rig if this was to happen the lead would realise leaving me with just the clip and no heavy weight above the fish giving the fish an advantage of the weight wanting to sink to the bottom and helping the fish keep down in the water

Back