• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What's your choice of reel

Imo ……. A proper 5000 sized D or OC.
Old SS long nosed spool in black with slower worm drive oscillation
Shimano oversized line roller with Daiwas folding handle.
Old daiwa bottle cap clutch and shimanos super stopper needle bearing anti reverse
Gear ratio a tad quicker at 5.2:1 and the drop in torque compensated for with an extra 1/2 inch on the handle.
Internal bail snap.
Access to to the main drive gear from one side of the body without the need to remove the rotor.

That’s a start!! 😎
Adams order is on it’s way Rich 🤣

Rich,

Add Matt black powder coat finish and (sorry purists but) a double handle version on the left and I’ll have two please !

Happy new year all.

Steve.
It will definitely be Mat black. Understated and very discreet. Zero bling!
Double handles I’m afraid you’ll have to source Chinese copies. The genuine handle will be single long and a nice big knurled grip.

Perfect barbel reel doesn’t exist yet…..
Screenshot_20211230-220231_Chrome.jpg

Wash your mouth out Richard :p

🤣
If such a reel existed Bill I honestly believe there would be stacks of barbel anglers ordering them.

It would only be the lovers of rear clutches and double handles that wouldn’t be interested in it.
That's me then.

I'll never understand why people like fidling around where the lines coming of the spool when playing fish.

I just love the ability to slacken off slightly near the net without worrying about fingers near the bit that's got to work during that possible last lunge.

I also find the balance of a double handle allows a smoother winding action.

Last edited:
It will definitely be Mat black. Understated and very discreet. Zero bling!
Double handles I’m afraid you’ll have to source Chinese copies. The genuine handle will be single long and a nice big knurled grip.
matt black !!!!!! you know they should be as 1000 graphite grey

Nope. I like the jap SS grey but I won’t copy it. It’s my dream reel not yours 🤣
I could go with the grey but only if it had the optional extra double handle !

Feels like we are negotiating the perfect barbel reels for us all. Maybe we should crowd fund it ….. not sure I exactly know what this means but I hear the tech savvy boys talking about it so must be worth a punt !

That's me then.

I'll never understand why people like fidling around where the lines coming of the spool when playing fish.

I just love the ability to slacken off slightly near the net without worrying about fingers near the bit that's got to work during that possible last lunge.

I also find the balance of a double handle allows a smoother winding action.
Absolutely agree mate. It’s far more convenient to adjust a clutch from the rear than it is the front.
However…….. you loose a lot of the clutches responsiveness and smoothness by having all the plates with load on them transferred through a 6 inch shaft to a cross pin which is then inserted into your spool.
Your setting your clutches tension at the opposite end of the item you want to be directly effected by that setting and the drawbacks are it will never perform as nicely as a clutch that is tensioned directly in the spool itself.
You can fit better washers, you can service it, you can even get them helped along with a bearing race around that shaft but it will never be as smooth or responsive as a clutch spool in one.

Double handles are just marmite. Yes they are more balanced if you spin up your reels without load on them….. Well ok but that’s not really important to me. Once there’s tension on the line I can’t honestly say that Balance is noticed personally.
What they are though is tiny little rubber grips. Something you hold between a finger and thumb a bit like a poxy China tea cup…… no thanks. Not for me. Give me a proper handle to grab!

Of course each to their own 👍🏻

Absolutely agree mate. It’s far more convenient to adjust a clutch from the rear than it is the front.
However…….. you loose a lot of the clutches responsiveness and smoothness by having all the plates with load on them transferred through a 6 inch shaft to a cross pin which is then inserted into your spool.
Your setting your clutches tension at the opposite end of the item you want to be directly effected by that setting and the drawbacks are it will never perform as nicely as a clutch that is tensioned directly in the spool itself.
You can fit better washers, you can service it, you can even get them helped along with a bearing race around that shaft but it will never be as smooth or responsive as a clutch spool in one.

Double handles are just marmite. Yes they are more balanced if you spin up your reels without load on them….. Well ok but that’s not really important to me. Once there’s tension on the line I can’t honestly say that Balance is noticed personally.
What they are though is tiny little rubber grips. Something you hold between a finger and thumb a bit like a poxy China tea cup…… no thanks. Not for me. Give me a proper handle to grab!

Of course each to their own 👍🏻
Re your last comment, feels a bit like cod fishing to me where you have to crank up from depth although I admit I don’t fish our bigger rivers where you may be 80 yards plus when you hit the fish.

I love the idea of rear drag, I.e. keeping your hand out the way of the front end when playing the fish but I was bought up in the Mitchell era when drags weren’t the that good and you played a fish by back winding. These days I tend to fish with a tight’ish drag and anti reverse on and if I feel under gunned control the spool with my index finger to increase pressure. I also admit that I have, on occasion, ended up with a sore finger but hey, no pain no gain !

Back