• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What's your choice of reel

None of the above.

Old Shimano fighting drag reels (Super GT4000) up to 10 lb line; and even older Shimano match 3’s for trotting. I prefer the latter to modern Cadence and Daiwa equivalents.

New Okuma 6000 inc reels for heavy stuff. They are replacing a set of really, really old GT4000 Baitrunners. I might even flog 2x 5500 Ci4’s in favour of the Okumas….
i use the okuma 6000 inc on the tidal trent superb reels

5010s on my normal rods and X-areo 6000 on floodwater rods. Shimano Supermatch REs for all my other fishing. The RE spools interchange with the 5010s and all together there are 17 different spools I can use, back to my match fishing days.

The 5010s must be 30yrs old by now.

Ss2600's for most of my river fishing. Tdr 4012 occasionally. Heavier rods cast'izm's and in closed season distance feeder fishing. Occasional float fishing, shimano olivio. Love the QD on the tdr's and cast'izm's.
I also love the handle size on the Ss2600's and cast'izm's. Retrieve the feeder in seconds on the river. I prefer my reel on the bulkier side.

Last edited:
Wide drum speedia and Mill tackle wensum when not throwing heavy feeder/lead (less than 2oz). I just can't casting well with heavy lead.
Shimano 4000D for casting heavy feeder/lead.

5010s on my normal rods and X-areo 6000 on floodwater rods. Shimano Supermatch REs for all my other fishing. The RE spools interchange with the 5010s and all together there are 17 different spools I can use, back to my match fishing days.

The 5010s must be 30yrs old by now.
Like your style Simon ... I was using a 4000OC the other day and I thought "Why am I using this when I've got perfectly good 5010's / RE's at home?" 😂

Emblem BR25A's . . .poor mans Castizm with a baitrunner . . .much prefer these to the tiny spools of my previous 5010s; can crank in any passing tree trunk in flood conditions no problem . .

I moved from Shimano X-Aero 4000s to Nash Scope GT 4000s earlier this season. I started to experience the much maligned line under spool phenomena with the Shimanos more and more often, which was strange as it never happened in the two or three years before. I’d made no changes to line type, etc and reels were serviced appropriately.

The Scopes are fantastic reels, in my opinion. Loads of cranking power considering the size and weight and the clutch is superb. It was a bit of a leap moving away from a Baitrunner, but no regrets so far. The quick drag means I’m only a few clicks away from the level I’d have the Baitrunner set anyway. They look the nuts too.

If I were to go back to a Baitrunner, I think I’d opt for a Shimano 4000 OC but I’d certainly consider the Okuma offerings based on what others are saying on this thread.

2 x Jap Shimano Stradic X gtm for me when two-rodding it for barbel or smaller carp and tench. Also have a somewhat rarer Stradic x gtmh that I tend to use on its own. Never really used baitrunners When barbel fishing, though I do have three 8000 shimanos. I’ve always found the fighting drag on the Stradics allow me to open up or crank down the drag perfectly quick enough.

If I’m on cane and pin then most usually one of three Speedias or an Okuma Sheffield. If I want to go deeper vintage style then an absolutely lovely little 4” Zephyr that is just achingly lovely to look at.

Like your style Simon ... I was using a 4000OC the other day and I thought "Why am I using this when I've got perfectly good 5010's / RE's at home?" 😂

I took a break from fishing for quite a long while, but never sold my gear. As I'd match fished, I'd got a lot of equipment that suited the style of fishing I was doing before I took the break. When I started fishing again, it would have been massively prohibitive monetary wise to renew all my gear with the latest stuff, and although my gear was old, It was top of the range tackle when I bought it and it was still perfectly serviceable.

I started Barbel fishing on the river Dove and I found the 5010s ideal for my needs. I don't change tackle very often, if at all. I've only bought my self new floodwater rods and reels earlier this year, the first new rods I've bought for many a year.

I'm happy with my lot. 👍

Lighter work I use the Daiwa Theory SP4000A or Shimano 4000D, they're both spot on hooked up with the 11' Torrix and then a 5000 XTEA on the heavier rods for when there's water on. All solid and reliable reels.

Also wheel out a centrepin every so often for a change.

For all of my float and chub fishing I have switched over to Cadence reels.

They are fantastic reels. Great value too, especially as they sometimes do a buy one, get one free offer.

I also use a Cadence CS5 as my bass lure reel, and have been really impressed with it.

Shimano 5000 XTEAs / 5000 REs /5000GTMs

Barbel and Carp

6000 XTEA pike and Zander

Shimano stradics 3000 and 4000 for trotting and feeder. As well as Super Aero ( but clutch slipping now) for trotting.

2 x 6000d ribble 3 x 8000 xtea for trent or ribble flood fishing 2 x okuma epix 55 for dove
have a new 6000oc and a okuma 6000 inception just in case

Haha, what's the design for the perfect barbel reel?
Imo ……. A proper 5000 sized D or OC baitrunner
Old SS long nosed spool in black with slower worm drive oscillation
Shimano oversized line roller with Daiwas folding handle.
Old daiwa bottle cap clutch and shimanos super stopper needle bearing anti reverse
Gear ratio a tad quicker at 5.2:1 and the drop in torque compensated for with an extra 1/2 inch on the handle.
Internal bail snap.
Access to to the main drive gear from one side of the body without the need to remove the rotor.

That’s a start!! 😎

Last edited:
Back