• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Did Santa Leave You??

Had a few fishy bits this time round such as a new head torch, a couple of drop off indicators and a fleece hat. In years gone by I have had some rubbish bought me by relatives with good intentions only for it to be given away or binned so was more than happy with this years results.

There is no escaping the socks and pants curse:(

Wash your mouth out Adrian I've got waitrose discount! What is going down well though is John Aston's 'The Glorious Uncertainty'

Last edited:
You guys should check out Aldi, good wine great prices.

I don't use Aldi or Lidl if I can posibly help it for obvious reasons. I did send our cleaner along to Aldi to collect a Sancerre and Pouilly Fume which were quite acceptable. Didn't much care for their £22 claret though. Missed out on the Lidl wonder whisky at £40 a bottle, apparently equivalent to £100 stuff.

Everyone seems to think Aldi and Lidl are like Netto or Happy Shopper! I've been very impressed with everything I've had from there (aside from the English mustard which wasn't a patch on Colemans), everything else I've bought tastes just like the big name counter part only a fraction of the price. It's not always a case of you get what you pay for, Sainsbury's are a classic example of that in my opinion, I think it's because we're so used to being ripped off in this country we're suspicious of good value!

I find myself agreeing with Adrian, my wife is half Dutch and she goes to Aldi to buy Frikadellen and such like, recently I went with her and picked up several bottles of Flurie, it was cheap and very nice.

Seems she has been shopping for other foods there as well:-

AND I DID NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!!!:eek:

I know she is selective and still shops at sainsburys as well but some of the products from Aldi can only be described as great value!

I find myself agreeing with Adrian, my wife is half Dutch and she goes to Aldi to buy Frikadellen and such like, recently I went with her and picked up several bottles of Flurie, it was cheap and very nice.

I know she is selective and still shops at sainsburys as well but some of the products from Aldi can only be described as great value!

No doubt Aldi have gone upmarket to pull in a wider range of punter. Their best wines are not a giveaway, but are good and typically a couple of quid below the major supermarket brands. Before Xmas, Tesco were doing Villa Maria at £6 a bottle which was cheap and then applying a 25% discount. So in reality £4.50 a bottle - Aldi would not be able to compete with that.

Here in Tewkesbury we have a new Aldi opened recently, and the good wife probably does 30% of her shopping from there now. Tesco's have been the store that has lost the majority of our business, Morrison's to a lesser extent.
Aldi seem to favour locally supplied meat produce more than others, although Fruit and Veg seems to be sourced from the continent, although we are of course right in the Vale of Evesham!! Crazy innit :(

I don't use Aldi or Lidl if I can posibly help it for obvious reasons. I did send our cleaner along to Aldi to collect a Sancerre and Pouilly Fume which were quite acceptable. Didn't much care for their £22 claret though. Missed out on the Lidl wonder whisky at £40 a bottle, apparently equivalent to £100 stuff.

I have taken a liking to the 12 year old Ben Bracken malt at lidl now, and for £18.49 a bottle its well worth it. This whisky was formally called Tamnavulin, and when the distillery closed down 11 years ago, a load of casks were sold to lidl. There was an 18 year old speyside malt at lidl a while back for just £20!! :eek:

Don,t mind a drop or two of the old Jack Daniels, But recently bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace as it was on offer, beats old Jack hands down. Its now my new tipple, even at full price. :)

Don,t mind a drop or two of the old Jack Daniels, But recently bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace as it was on offer, beats old Jack hands down. Its now my new tipple, even at full price. :)

Think i might have a look a my local asda, and see if they have it. Just looked at the reviews and flavour of this bourbon, and i might just give it a try.

Cheers

Dave

We at Curgudgeon Towers are not, as some of you might have thought, snobs. The butler shops at Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Aldi.

As an alcoholic I no longer drink, but do recall last Christmas, when Aldi sold Bollinger, under a different label, at half price.

Bunty loves Aldi's sparkling wines..................

Regards as ever

Hugo

Back