• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Did Santa Leave You??

As per Jims post my favourite gift this year was from my son. On Christmas day whilst I was doing a 7 to 7 day shift he vacuumed cleaned did the washing and drying and took my dog for a long walk. Priceless and not many 21 year olds would do that Christmas day!

As per Jims post my favourite gift this year was from my son. On Christmas day whilst I was doing a 7 to 7 day shift he vacuumed cleaned did the washing and drying and took my dog for a long walk. Priceless and not many 21 year olds would do that Christmas day!

Sorry, Clive, I just don't buy it. Or, he must want something very, very badly. Think back, was there some rash half promise that you may have made in the dim and distant past?

Nah Jim he's good as gold. He also settled for less this year being older and both spending around the same on each other.

Having three 'adult' sons I think I understand where you are coming from Clive, any help that is given is much appreciated, especially around the house. I have just come down stairs to find the dining table has a 32'' t.v on it, I had no internet connection, the telephone socket was off the wall with a birds nest of wires around the lounge, apparently it was a BT suggestion from India to improve bandwidth...laugh

I would go back to bed but my youngest son has nabbed it ( home from uni) and the other two are spending some time at home (24.7.365) days too, c/w with girlfriends or whatever, Oh and another lab, that makes three large dogs:eek:

I would go fishing, I really would..But ....:mad:

Having three 'adult' sons I think I understand where you are coming from Clive, any help that is given is much appreciated, especially around the house. I have just come down stairs to find the dining table has a 32'' t.v on it, I had no internet connection, the telephone socket was off the wall with a birds nest of wires around the lounge, apparently it was a BT suggestion from India to improve bandwidth...laugh

I would go back to bed but my youngest son has nabbed it ( home from uni) and the other two are spending some time at home (24.7.365) days too, c/w with girlfriends or whatever, Oh and another lab, that makes three large dogs:eek:

I would go fishing, I really would..But ....:mad:

Take care with the supposed 'BT' suggestions from India Neil. I have had several calls purporting to be from BT....or AOL...or some such, suggesting I do this or that, to 'improve' some aspect of my TV reception or internet connectivity or whatever. I had another visit from a granddaughter a while back, which resulted in more chaos on my laptop, including a virus which kept spamming everyone on my contact list. A little while later, I had a call from AOL (not :mad:) informing me that if I did not stop the spamming, they would have to close my account. They were then really helpful in offering to get rid of the problem for me... if I would just do certain things my end, to allow them to temporarily take control of my lap top :rolleyes:

I explained the details of their birth and what to do to themselves, and sent them on their way....but it didn't stop it them attempting the same later :eek: You really can't be too careful these days mate, may pay to ask your sons what else 'BT' asked them to do......

Cheers, Dave.

I got some fox digital scales, fox halo bivvy light, a personalised calender with my best catches, some personalised fishing socks, a barbel badge, powerfile to make my lead making life easier, 3 delkim txi pluses and receiver, a new camera for fishing :):):):).
Regards

Take care with the supposed 'BT' suggestions from India Neil. I have had several calls purporting to be from BT....or AOL...or some such, suggesting I do this or that, to 'improve' some aspect of my TV reception or internet connectivity or whatever. I had another visit from a granddaughter a while back, which resulted in more chaos on my laptop, including a virus which kept spamming everyone on my contact list. A little while later, I had a call from AOL (not :mad:) informing me that if I did not stop the spamming, they would have to close my account. They were then really helpful in offering to get rid of the problem for me... if I would just do certain things my end, to allow them to temporarily take control of my lap top :rolleyes:

I explained the details of their birth and what to do to themselves, and sent them on their way....but it didn't stop it them attempting the same later :eek: You really can't be too careful these days mate, may pay to ask your sons what else 'BT' asked them to do......

Cheers, Dave.

Crikey Dave your experiences make some frightening reading. Apparently Phillip rang BT, his choice, and they came up with that 'fix', plugging the filter into the main BT socket, (the one with the capacitor) and they would tweak from their end, and should be super fast by 1800 hours to-day!!
The net has been slow of late, and this will give us the full 5 megs apparently, we will see.
Our area has now got Fibre Optics or as Maria calls it Fibre Optrex:) I can't help think that a cynic might feel that BT were giving us a little marketing nudge.

Neil, the AOL/(whatever your provider) scam....is a good 'un. It is not difficult to discover that someone is having trouble with a minor virus or whatever, and who their supplier is. All that is then required is for the scammers to phone up pretending to be that supplier, and attempt to convince the punter to allow them to take remote control (easy) of their PC, on the pretext that this is the best/only way of them fixing the problem. As that problem has probably given the punter considerable grief for a while, that is easier to do than you may think. To make it sound more authentic, these people have Asian accents, just as the employees of your suppliers customer services department undoubtedly have :rolleyes: Happily, it seems that this is not what has happened in your case :)

Happy new year to you Neil, and all our fellow members.

Cheers, Dave.

Same / similar scammers got my Mum (81) by pretending to be Microsoft, trying to sort out her (non-existant) virus by loading LogMein. Fortunatley I'd already loaded it so I could help her remotely & she called me on her mobile during the call.

Oddly, they tried the same thing on my home phone a few weeks later.

It's probably classed as a low-grade crime, but i would cheerfully eletrocute them via the phone line if it was possible.

Neil, the AOL/(whatever your provider) scam....is a good 'un. It is not difficult to discover that someone is having trouble with a minor virus or whatever, and who their supplier is. All that is then required is for the scammers to phone up pretending to be that supplier, and attempt to convince the punter to allow them to take remote control (easy) of their PC, on the pretext that this is the best/only way of them fixing the problem. As that problem has probably given the punter considerable grief for a while, that is easier to do than you may think. To make it sound more authentic, these people have Asian accents, just as the employees of your suppliers customer services department undoubtedly have :rolleyes: Happily, it seems that this is not what has happened in your case :)

Happy new year to you Neil, and all our fellow members.

Cheers, Dave.

Yep I remember that scam come to think of it, did once let AOL take over my PC:eek: most odd.
Actually the guy did ring back this evening as promised, so looks OK.

A Proposterous New Year to you Dave!!:p

Santa bought me a years subscription to 'Waterlog ' magazine which was nice . Currently I am reading another Christmas gift , a copy of Lemmy's autobiography ''White Line Fever '' . How that chap is still alive I will never know , it's a great yarn though :)

I never get fishing related items............................. ever!!!!
As she who must be obeyed says-
"No point he has everything and anyway he is far to bloody fussy!!"

So it was a surprise to get a pair of proper fishing trousers (and they fit) from my daughter!!

I also got a case of Chablis Premier Cru, which I shall waste by pouring it down my throat; I would share some with a few of my angling friends but I am concerned that over exposure to alcohol will do them no good!!

I have always been thoughtful like that!
:p

A good few angling books that I'd had on my wish list for a while including Somewhere Down the Crazy River so that I can see what all the fuss is about.

The rest was run of the mill stuff though a case of rather nice Rioja went down well.

Back