• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Did Santa Leave You??

John Cook

Evening all sober Barbellers:eek: Did Santa leave you any fishing type pressies?? Just a couple of books for me, :)

Nope, nothing for me. But I regard that as a good thing. It is inevitably a disaster if a loved one springs a surprise fishing related gift on me. Good Lord, the stuff I have unwrapped. Then there is that pressing need in those moments to display delight at the treasure now in view. "My, how wonderful and thoughtful of you darling" really means " what the ***** is that!? Why have you bought me a canvas fishing hut the size and shape of a telephone box ?". There is now an understanding. Is this just me?

Nope, nothing for me. But I regard that as a good thing. It is inevitably a disaster if a loved one springs a surprise fishing related gift on me. Good Lord, the stuff I have unwrapped. Then there is that pressing need in those moments to display delight at the treasure now in view. "My, how wonderful and thoughtful of you darling" really means " what the ***** is that!? Why have you bought me a canvas fishing hut the size and shape of a telephone box ?". There is now an understanding. Is this just me?

Not at all Howard, my wife used to insist on buying me wince inducing, vaguely fish related gifts every year that had me despairing inside at what I could have bought with the money. On one occasion, she helped my young daughter choose a nine inch ceramic trout cruet set, the salt and pepper pots protruding from holes in the fishes back. What can you say :D

Cheers, Dave.

Evening all sober Barbellers:eek: Did Santa leave you any fishing type pressies?? Just a couple of books for me, :)

I had a nice camera John....but not one I can see as being that good for fishing. The rest was money, which is a little bah humbug, but I have convinced them that really is what I want :D

Cheers, Dave.

I hope the days of well intended but hopelessly useless fishing gifts are behind me now:) There have been a few....like the 'all in one' fishing tool c/w with fillet knife, de- scaler, aluminium disgorger and a priest:eek: The many books featuring the Match scene greats:) and of course the very fetching headgear, gloves and scarves.

Only one fishing related gift for me, a Harrison carbon throwing stick (I wonder if I can persuade Harrison to make me a minature version for maggots and hemp?). I rarely get anything I don't want, fishing related or otherwise. The folks know the score and usually ask for suggestions, either that or I drop unsubtle hints.

Another item that isn't strictly fishing related, but does allow me to go more, is a tens machine. It keeps my back functioning normally without the need for stupid amounts of anti-inflammatorys.

Nothing for me,the wife was told years ago not to buy me anything fishing for Xmas or birthdays unless i metioned something,Hope all you guys had a good one and wish you all a prosperous new year and a few doubles to go with it.

Only money for me, but it's my birthday in 2 weeks so asking for the same then and might treat myself to a pair of costa del mar Polaroids with glass lenses see if they're as good as everyone says they are.

The title of this thread "What did Santa bring you?" Why is it that every post on this topic refers to the acquisition of material items? Why don't we look at an alternative view, what did you give and not on the basis of receiving something in return?

The title of this thread "What did Santa bring you?" Why is it that every post on this topic refers to the acquisition of material items? Why don't we look at an alternative view, what did you give and not on the basis of receiving something in return?

Beyond my nine year old nephew, I'm not sure that anyone here will care much that I got him three die cast model trucks.;)

'Santa' didn't bring me anything, but Jesus gave his life for our sins. Amen.

Not wanting his sacrifice to be in vain, I suffer the horror of committing sin on a regular basis. Such torture is never too big a sacrifice for our lord and saviour.

'Santa' didn't bring me anything, but Jesus gave his life for our sins. Amen.

Not wanting his sacrifice to be in vain, I suffer the horror of committing sin on a regular basis. Such torture is never too big a sacrifice for our lord and saviour.

Enough to make you go blind?

Interesting Jim as this year I have tried to move away from buying stuff for loved ones and where possible opted for experiences instead. So my wife has got a day in a professional recording studio. She can sing a bit and would be nice to get something recorded. That worked rather well and I did notice a couple of extra roast potatoes on my plate on Christmas day, so a good call.

My lovely wife bought me a new fishing chair ( wychwood solace low ) a flat cap and a nice bottle of speyside whisky.

Last edited:
Back