• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your opinions on night fishing ?

Neil,
Honestly i have no problem with your opinions, or you putting over your point of view.

With a subject like this we get choices, we do, we don't, and sometimes a bit of both, there is no right or wrong provided we stay within the law, and club or fishery rules if they apply, but when you say things like -

''must have at all costs'' society ( my cruder take take on what you say) and the fact that fish do start to feed in the evening should be the time we should let them have their solace and their grub unhindered, to pursue them relentlessly does neither the fish or angler any favours at all.

That will always get a reponse from me, because then your opinion is telling me that you disaprove of the way i conduct my fishing, and is what i meant by patronising - maybe i used the wrong word, dictatorial was the only other i could think of, but as you can't dictate what i do i didn't think it was appropriate, so patronising i thought was the best fit :D

If you had said something like ...... ' I prefer not to fish at night because i think the fish are likley to be feeding and i would prefer to leave them in peace ' .... then fine - thats your choice, and i would fight tooth and nail for your right to have it.

At the begining of this thread i asked for peoples opinions, i got yours, and then you got mine, not because you don't like to fish at night, but because you don't like me to fish at night, and others of course.

If i spout the popular view Neil, it's because i happen to agree with it, popular or not, and people that know me know that i'm not one to hold back on my opinions even if i happen to be in the minority, i think.... i hope i do anyway - listen to the other point of view, and it has been known - not very often mind you :D that i've been persueded round to that other point of view.

This is probably my last post until saturday morning, as i'm shortly off to bed, and then going fishing straight from work, probably till 1 or 2am saturday morning :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All the best
Ian.
Hi Ian
Have a good session, hope you catch:)
Neil

You do it in most threads Damien. That is not a criticism, just my observation.

You might criticise, Ash. It would be a boring world don't you think surrounded by sycophants at your ankles or indeed if there was a place, like this one perhaps, in which you might be able to express an opinion, where everyone agreed that we should be able to fish 24/7?
It's an incorrect observation by the way.

I might moralise, Ash, but not just about everyday life.

Damian

Damians different style, like Paul Bootes, livens up the forum and certainly provokes responses. It's true that a variety of opinions spark debate and makes the reading more fun. Sometimes we all need a difference of opinion to really get our teeth into, it allows us to elaborate even more on our own point of view!!

Hi Ian
Have a good session, hope you catch:)
Neil

No such luck Neil, :p

But my mate did - a 5.12 chub and 9.10 Barbel, a few hundred yards downstream of me.

But it was a lovely evening, saw a big white Barn Owl fly right down the river, passing about 15 feet in front of me about 6 foot off the water, i guess he may have been looking for the wee mouse i was feeding with bits of my bait - at least he wanted it - it must have just come out of hibernation by the way he was scoffing bits of my bait :p

You might criticise, Ash. It would be a boring world don't you think surrounded by sycophants at your ankles or indeed if there was a place, like this one perhaps, in which you might be able to express an opinion, where everyone agreed that we should be able to fish 24/7?

Damian

You are totally correct Damien, the forum indeed the world would be a dull place without a difference in opinion.

Mine was that you had taken a topic way off course by comparing societies 'I want it now' attitude to people wanting to night fish. Your entitled to your opinion Damian but that doesnt necessarily hold it to be valid. I dont think your contention to be valid.

Again this isnt a dig. I should of just said 'what Ian Grant said' as he was spot in, imo.

You are totally correct Damien, the forum indeed the world would be a dull place without a difference in opinion.

Mine was that you had taken a topic way off course by comparing societies 'I want it now' attitude to people wanting to night fish. Your entitled to your opinion Damian but that doesnt necessarily hold it to be valid. I dont think your contention to be valid.

Again this isnt a dig. I should of just said 'what Ian Grant said' as he was spot in, imo.

I think I was the one that said ''I want it now'' and that to me at least was perhaps something that we as Anglers should ask ourselves want impact can it have on the Barbel? We all know the Barbel do move onto the shallows in smaller rivers to feed at night, they do this because they feel safer from predation both from man and beast I world presume, so the act of as Anglers moving in on them must have some detrimental effect perhaps?
I am not moralising at all, just curious.

No such luck Neil, :p

But my mate did - a 5.12 chub and 9.10 Barbel, a few hundred yards downstream of me.

But it was a lovely evening, saw a big white Barn Owl fly right down the river, passing about 15 feet in front of me about 6 foot off the water, i guess he may have been looking for the wee mouse i was feeding with bits of my bait - at least he wanted it - it must have just come out of hibernation by the way he was scoffing bits of my bait :p

Good luck on your mate, but I guess he missed the Owl and the mouse antics:)

Damian

Damian like every one else on here you have your right to express your opinion . To me when you express that opinion you come across as Condescending :( Thinking yourself better than others: behaving towards other people in a way that shows you consider yourself socially or intellectually superior to them, especially when explaining or giving something

So then Ash, you are to make a distinction between the ego's desires in circles both on and away from the river bank?

Let me help you with my contention then;
2 days before my first contribution to this thread I posted on the Hants Avon thread, my last post previous to that was 19 days beforehand! Continuing; 4 days before that I posted on a thread about bait disasters, a post which came after a break of 23 days!

You do it in most threads Damien. That is not a criticism, just my observation.

Like I said, Ash, an observation that is incorrect!

Damian

So then Ash, you are to make a distinction between the ego's desires in circles both on and away from the river bank?

Let me help you with my contention then;
2 days before my first contribution to this thread I posted on the Hants Avon thread, my last post previous to that was 19 days beforehand! Continuing; 4 days before that I posted on a thread about bait disasters, a post which came after a break of 23 days!

Like I said, Ash, an observation that is incorrect!

Damian

Gosh how interesting, this thread is total guff.

This has actually been one of the better threads, it's a very relevant subject to barbel fishing and has prompted some strong opinions, written in a variety of styles!

There's little of it that's interesting, Ian.

Rene Descartes said, 'If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things'.
I guess most on here in contention with the notion that their own motivations for being able to fish 24/7 would never doubt their own search for the truth, I suspect however that search stops at their own motivations.

4 rods, baitboats, year round fishing for pumpkin fish, catfish, barbel and sturgeon - make no mistake about it, these are as little do with the natural world in which we fish as it is possible to be and wholly driven by an angler's own self-interest and perhaps those of a commercial fishery owner.
If I wanted to catch a barbel, I would fish a river in which they naturally (now anyway) reside. If that was too much hard work, I would have to confess to being averse to hard work!

Damian

Last edited:
4 rods for barbel...now there's a thought!

I agree with what your getting at Damian, but I don't see night fishing as being part of it, day or night what's the difference? Stretches I mostly fish are devoid of anglers most of the time anyway!

Havent night fished for a few years now,but will never forget an invite i had to take a trip to the river trent,and meet up with some good lads who posted on BFW.
Never fished this river before,and was struggling on the Great Ouse,and PB there was about 7lbs,so loaded the car,drove 2 hours to Notts,to meet the boys at around 4pm.
Arrived,and handshakes all round from 5 good very friendly geezers,who said Howard weve saved you a very good swim,dumped my gear,tackled up,and a young lad appeard and said,dad says to give you this walkie talkie,to keep in touch with us,and gave a demo how to use,...What a nice lad!!!

Settled down to watch 2 feeder rods.....bugger forgot my brolly,no worries though
one of the boys lent me his spare brand new Aqua.

Rods started started twitching,and soon landed 4 chub to near 5lb,then light faded and the barbel started feeding,once netted,i pressed the walkie talkie..got one i said,
and 20 seconds later Mike appeard camera in hand....photo taken,and barbel returned,about 6lbs,the fish were on the feed all night,coming to both rods,so was happy each hour,to ship both rods,and go for a chat,with one of the lads,the back to recast.......kept this up until dawn,and ended the session,with ten barbs,best fish
9lb plus.
Drove back home with a large grin on my face,best days/night fishing session ive ever had,with some of the nicest guys on this planet,a night ill remember till the day
i die.

Damien......dont be a killjoy :)

ATB Howard

Okay, more pedantic guff from me then.

Damien, I should of said you moralise on most of the threads you post on, not most threads.

This is a thread about opinions on night fishing NOT a thread about opinions on the rights and wrongs of night fishing, which are 2 slightly different angles on which to discuss the subject.
Moreover, Damien constructs an arguement whereby the inference is that fishing has to be done at certain times and in certain ways in order for it to be considered ethical (for want of a better word).

Fishing is either okay or it isnt(we could get in to the right and wrong ways to go fishing but that again is another topic). If you do not think it is ethical to night fish then by inference you must think there is something wrong about fishing in the day too, its just you skew your beliefs to make it okay. Fish feed at night as part of their natural behaviour it may also be a reaction to angling pressure but fish do not know this. If you think fish know they are being fished for then you credit them far too much intelligence.

If you prefer to fish in the day then fair enough but to say fishing at night is wrong is just hypocritical, imo.

One final thing from me on night fishing:

One thing about it, is the Bream come out to play. I've never had a big bream off the river in daylight but at night time they are gauranteed! I had a 8lb 10z pb last night came in like a wet sock and then went mental on the mat, was completely silver like a skimmer.

One final final thing:

You loose lots of little bits of tackle if your not very organised, Im on my 5th pair of forceps this season!

I forgot that post Martin, my reaction was to the way you said ' this thread ' which i assume you didn't mean it the way i took it.
Sorry if i misunderstood :( :D

Ian.

No worries Ian.

The picture in your profile is really nice, nice one! hope your getting out before the river season ends.
With regards to this thread, I get a touch of nausea with a certain person who dribbles verbally and quotes a 16th century French metaphysics and Mathematics philosopher. Sorry but I guess I should not even rise to it.
Anyway

Tight Lines to you and everyone

Martin

Back