• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your opinions on night fishing ?

I couldn't quite remember where I had read this excerpt and where indeed I might find it to be able to relay it's message, but here it is, from his 'The Conquest of Happiness', Bertrand Russell, in his lucidity;

The human animal, like others, is adapted to a certain amount of struggle for life, and when by means of great wealth homo sapiens can gratify all his whims without effort, the mere absence of effort from his life removes an essential ingredient of happiness. The man who acquires easily things for which he feels only a very moderate desire concudes that the attainment of desire does not bring happiness. If he is of a philosophic disposition, he concludes that human life is essentially wretched, since the man who has all he wants is still unhappy. He forgets that to be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.

Damian

So can you tell me what the relevance this has to some one wanting to night fish?
Having read the line and I quote '' and by means of great wealth homo sapiens can gratify all his whims with out effort . The mere absence of effort from his life removes an essential ingrediant of happiness ''
So what the guy is saying . If you have loads of money you can have what you want , when you want and because no effort has gone in to it . It still makes you unhappy .
So how do that apply to some one going night fishing ? Which this thread is all about .
No amount of money is going to catch me a fish :rolleyes:
Like alot of people on here . Time , planning and effort will catch fish and some times we are not all ways successful . But when we do it makes us happy :)
So should I have a problem with that Damian . Am I wrong to feel happy when I have put the time and effort in to catching a fish ?

Wanting to night fish, Joe, or wanting to do anything, the point is made in the very last sentence that in your desire to have anything you might, never forget that being without that is just as important to your happiness!
It is as relevant to fishing as it is to anything else to which your desires might attach themselves, surrounded by wealth and fortune or not.

Damian

It's with some trepidation that I post on here, David, expressing such views, as even with minimal wisdom one can see they'd be unpopular, with Ian's post however, it might time to start thinking about hanging up the keyboard. :)

Take no notice Damien, I think I know what you mean:) especially regarding the pursuit of the ''must have at all costs'' society ( my cruder take take on what you say) and the fact that fish do start to feed in the evening should be the time we should let them have their solace and their grub unhindered, to pursue them relentlessly does neither the fish or angler any favours at all.

Of course folk will object to having to curtail their night fishing but I really find it hard to believe when some state that night fishing is the only time they can fish.

Anyway, I trust many on here are in some sort of relationship, and just remember that feeling of 'guilt' when the church clock chimes 11 and then 12 midnight and just telling her that they only 'come on' at night when all she wanted was you to ''come on'':p

Abstain you sinners!!!

......and appreciate the fact that we have someone like DK to once in a while to rock out little boats.

"but I really find it hard to believe when some state that night fishing is the only time they can fish."

Its not that hard to believe Neil, apart from the odd day out now and again if i wish to fish then i am free to fish from 8.00pm onwards.

And i know plenty of people who are in the same boat.

I personally think this debate is a bit of a non-entity. Surely people do what they enjoy, isn't that what fishing is about? Styles, species, baits, locations and when are all down to the individual. It may not be everyones cup of tea but don't castigate those that enjoy it providing they play by the rules.

Hi men,

What with working for a living , doing shift work, working weekends , kids , dogs , horses , chickens , ducks , renovating a cottage , Luton Town FC ,and all life throws at us it's a wonder we go fishing at all !. Sue does not enjoy fishing into dark , preferring to stalk them in the middle of the day , as I do , but this does not mean I would feel that people wanting to fish into dark should stop , it's their choice .

Of corse , anyone who thinks there should be some sort of amnesty on the fish. , please feel free to stop bothering them , by stop fishing ?.

Hatter

"What are your opinions on night fishing?"

Its time to pack up when the isotope starts floating around.

ie. 2 hours into dark when you are 60!

Graham

"but I really find it hard to believe when some state that night fishing is the only time they can fish."

Its not that hard to believe Neil, apart from the odd day out now and again if i wish to fish then i am free to fish from 8.00pm onwards.

And i know plenty of people who are in the same boat.

Hi Tom
Now I am intrigued...as to why that only after 8pm you are free to fish.

Hi men,

What with working for a living , doing shift work, working weekends , kids , dogs , horses , chickens , ducks , renovating a cottage , Luton Town FC ,and all life throws at us it's a wonder we go fishing at all !. Sue does not enjoy fishing into dark , preferring to stalk them in the middle of the day , as I do , but this does not mean I would feel that people wanting to fish into dark should stop , it's their choice .

Of corse , anyone who thinks there should be some sort of amnesty on the fish. , please feel free to stop bothering them , by stop fishing ?.

Hatter

Well Mark that is a long list, and add the distances, and all the fish you put on the bank you both do well....mind you you have one huge advantage with having the trouble and strife as a fishing partner:p I swear I would be out more but I get that feeling of guilt about leaving Maria at home for so long, mind you it could be she is glad to see the back of me....surely not:confused:

I'm all for freedom of choice, whatever makes you happy, whatever floats your boat sort of attitude, some find it convenient to fish at night, and some have little choice for the most part unless they accept to severly curtail their fishing time, which no doubt would make some on here very happy :mad: that equally applies in both senses to some for the same reasons who can only fish daytime.

In reality for much of the year, at least some of my fishing is done in daylight, simply because of seasonal times of sunset, where i can usually start a session in daylight, and in the early months of the season, only about a third is in darkness.
It is the time of day which restricts me, and rarely can i find time on a regular basis to alter that.
Damian, yes i can see where you are coming from, absence makes the heart grow fonder is what i think you are trying to say, and it does for me too ! but it's not something i want to purposefully inflict on myself, i don't find the abstinance pleasurable at all, but if you do thats fine by me - freedom of choice ;) you carry on mate, you obviously have your outlook on life as depicted with your yin, and the yang Avatar.
I find it slightly patronising the way you and Neil, seem too hold your views as the only right way, whereas i say they are right for you two, but not necesarily for others, especially you Neil, what would make you so interested to know why Tom, can't get out before 8.00 pm ?????? :confused:
Should everyone have the same lifestyle as you ?????? :confused: :confused:
Why would you find it hard to believe that some can only fish at night ?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: though i think most were saying mostly not all the time like myself.
I think it shows extreme single mindedness to be unable to accept that not all have the lifestyle you have, or even the same outlook, some may like to fish once a month, some once a week, some several, this is what i mean by freedom of choice, life is short, maybe very much shorter for some, we never know what fate will drop at our door, you live your life, Neil how you see fit, but please ! show me, and others who prefer not to do it as you do, the same courtesy.
I don't think it's too much to ask - do you ?

Regards
Ian

Ian spot on !

We all fish when we can, where we can, by whatever method we choose too. If this is within the law and fishery rules why anyone would want to curtail another fellow anglers pleasure is frankly beyond me :confused: and would suggest a good look in the mirror is called for :rolleyes:

Regards
Richard

Family commitments mean that if i am available to fish then after 8.00pm is the time i can head off towards the river Neil.

I'm all for freedom of choice, whatever makes you happy, whatever floats your boat sort of attitude, some find it convenient to fish at night, and some have little choice for the most part unless they accept to severly curtail their fishing time, which no doubt would make some on here very happy :mad: that equally applies in both senses to some for the same reasons who can only fish daytime.

In reality for much of the year, at least some of my fishing is done in daylight, simply because of seasonal times of sunset, where i can usually start a session in daylight, and in the early months of the season, only about a third is in darkness.
It is the time of day which restricts me, and rarely can i find time on a regular basis to alter that.
Damian, yes i can see where you are coming from, absence makes the heart grow fonder is what i think you are trying to say, and it does for me too ! but it's not something i want to purposefully inflict on myself, i don't find the abstinance pleasurable at all, but if you do thats fine by me - freedom of choice ;) you carry on mate, you obviously have your outlook on life as depicted with your yin, and the yang Avatar.
I find it slightly patronising the way you and Neil, seem too hold your views as the only right way, whereas i say they are right for you two, but not necesarily for others, especially you Neil, what would make you so interested to know why Tom, can't get out before 8.00 pm ?????? :confused:
Should everyone have the same lifestyle as you ?????? :confused: :confused:
Why would you find it hard to believe that some can only fish at night ?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: though i think most were saying mostly not all the time like myself.
I think it shows extreme single mindedness to be unable to accept that not all have the lifestyle you have, or even the same outlook, some may like to fish once a month, some once a week, some several, this is what i mean by freedom of choice, life is short, maybe very much shorter for some, we never know what fate will drop at our door, you live your life, Neil how you see fit, but please ! show me, and others who prefer not to do it as you do, the same courtesy.
I don't think it's too much to ask - do you ?

Regards
Ian

Why in attempt to to discuss the subject and given that it should be OK to submit a point of view that is not perhaps shared by you, comes over as patronising is odd, and really all that you seem to be doing is spouting the popular view, without giving too much thought about what perhaps the problems with night fishing could have.

This may I remind you is a thread about Night Fishing, and do we all have to share the same opinions for fear of being accused of being patronising or disrespectful .

How ridiculous is that Ian?

Ian spot on !

We all fish when we can, where we can, by whatever method we choose too. If this is within the law and fishery rules why anyone would want to curtail another fellow anglers pleasure is frankly beyond me :confused: and would suggest a good look in the mirror is called for :rolleyes:

Regards
Richard

Yea stuff 'em.

The problem is, no matter how philisphophical you are, the sort of moralising about everyday life which Damien does in every thread is just not relevant to fishing. Salient points they are not.

Fishing is an escape from everyday life and to apply the problems of everyday life to fishing is just not valid.

Who is moralising about everyday life, Ash?

If anyone truly believes that night fishing is that bad for the fish then perhaps they should consider whether they should fish at all? After all a hooked fish has still been outwitted whatever the light levels. It is common sense to fish when they are likely to be feeding, it's not like pursuing them when they are spawning!
Loads of different opinions on this thread and for my part I night fish because I like night fishing. Yes, I can fish in the day if I want to, or even when I feel they won't be feeding. But, as it's still a relatively free country, I will fish at night when I think they will be feeding because that's my personal enjoyment in barbel fishing. If someone else's enjoyment is daylight fishing then so be it, how dull if we all felt the same?

Why in attempt to to discuss the subject and given that it should be OK to submit a point of view that is not perhaps shared by you, comes over as patronising is odd, and really all that you seem to be doing is spouting the popular view, without giving too much thought about what perhaps the problems with night fishing could have.

This may I remind you is a thread about Night Fishing, and do we all have to share the same opinions for fear of being accused of being patronising or disrespectful .

How ridiculous is that Ian?

Neil,
Honestly i have no problem with your opinions, or you putting over your point of view.

With a subject like this we get choices, we do, we don't, and sometimes a bit of both, there is no right or wrong provided we stay within the law, and club or fishery rules if they apply, but when you say things like -

''must have at all costs'' society ( my cruder take take on what you say) and the fact that fish do start to feed in the evening should be the time we should let them have their solace and their grub unhindered, to pursue them relentlessly does neither the fish or angler any favours at all.

That will always get a reponse from me, because then your opinion is telling me that you disaprove of the way i conduct my fishing, and is what i meant by patronising - maybe i used the wrong word, dictatorial was the only other i could think of, but as you can't dictate what i do i didn't think it was appropriate, so patronising i thought was the best fit :D

If you had said something like ...... ' I prefer not to fish at night because i think the fish are likley to be feeding and i would prefer to leave them in peace ' .... then fine - thats your choice, and i would fight tooth and nail for your right to have it.

At the begining of this thread i asked for peoples opinions, i got yours, and then you got mine, not because you don't like to fish at night, but because you don't like me to fish at night, and others of course.

If i spout the popular view Neil, it's because i happen to agree with it, popular or not, and people that know me know that i'm not one to hold back on my opinions even if i happen to be in the minority, i think.... i hope i do anyway - listen to the other point of view, and it has been known - not very often mind you :D that i've been persueded round to that other point of view.

This is probably my last post until saturday morning, as i'm shortly off to bed, and then going fishing straight from work, probably till 1 or 2am saturday morning :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All the best
Ian.

Back