• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your opinions on night fishing ?

I agree Alex,
People are entitled to their opinions whatever they are, and for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean they should expect them to be forced upon others, the danger is when those people hold positions of power, such as match dominated committees, and are able to influence rule making spoiling peoples enjoyment for no other reason than as you say they don't like it.

Ian.

All sorts of issues are forced upon us, for example, the close season, if there were to be a vote on abandoning it, I wonder which way it would go? Most stillwaters no longer operate a close season. One of the nicest parts of the year is a no go area for river anglers. Similarly, playing about with the clocks, why can't BST apply all year round, providing an extra hour of daylight, now that really would benefit anglers in the winter months. Even better BST+1 then we would be in-line with Europe and an even greater help for anglers.

I'm sorry Ian and Jim, though it is with some trepidation I post on these subjects, what followed in my earlier post, and without being too disrespectful, was meant a little tongue in cheek.
I think you've guessed at my arriving at my position on this, Alex. I don't mind night fishing. It's just through trying to maintain a balance both for us and the fish that I think there should be a period inside 24hrs when we cannot fish, just as I believe there should inside a year.

I dread to think the future for society when most can seemingly bemoan any deprivation of their presumed happiness relating to fishing.

Does anyone see any value in not having momentarliy that which they feel might make them happy otherwise?

Damian

I'm sorry Ian and Jim, though it is with some trepidation I post on these subjects, what followed in my earlier post, and without being too disrespectful, was meant a little tongue in cheek.
I think you've guessed at my arriving at my position on this, Alex. I don't mind night fishing. It's just through trying to maintain a balance both for us and the fish that I think there should be a period inside 24hrs when we cannot fish, just as I believe there should inside a year.

I dread to think the future for society when most can seemingly bemoan any deprivation of their presumed happiness relating to fishing.

Does anyone see any value in not having momentarliy that which they feel might make them happy otherwise?

Damian

Tongue in cheek postings serve a purpose as they effectively play "devil's advocate" and that stimulates debate, which is good. I think that your point has merit, if we were to fish every day of the year, the buzz would diminish.
People in work really look forward to their leisure time. Me, I haven't worked for years and with my various benefits, have no reason to work. The downside is that a lot of the time, I can't motivate myself to fish as I can always go "tomorrow". I did work some years ago and as the end of the day approached all I could think of was getting on the bankside. Now it seems quite an effort to load the car and set off on a tedious drive. Instead, I find watching fishing videos/DVDs just as enjoyable, and feel just as involved without the effort and with all creature comforts to hand. It works for me but I wouldn't suggest that this approach would work everyone.

Hi men,

Get me a lotto win , and see me struggling to fish , yeh right . Monday to Thursday when it's quieter , Friday / saturday Luton Town home and away , heaven .

Hatter

Bit of a trick question Damian.

In the case of a person of your own way of thinking, the very act of denying yourself something which would have made you happy....would in itself make you happy....which puts you in a win/win situation.

The rest of us are unlikely to answer honestly when faced with a rigged game like that....so it ALL becomes a nonsense :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I understand you point Damian, but if fish should get some sort of break over a 24 hour period then it should not automatically be at night as this is very biased towards the natural night fishing "antis". Such a break should be on a rota when people who can only, or prefer to, night fish can also enjoy their sport.

Hi men,

Funny , talked to a catcher of very big barbel ( most fish come to think of it ) , and he was saying on a bit of river that he targeted they just seemed happy to feed at night , even without that great a pressure during the day , and with a few fishing into dark / night fishing . Where as , a syndicate with a strict time to be off ( dawn to dusk ) they fed ok during the day ?. Barbel , got their own minds :D.

Steve , always a god boy . Luton ?, had a little ban from part of the ground , but only for being excited at Luton scoring in the 90th min !:D , now any min will do !.

Hatter

Playing devils advocate here...................

Why not do away with fishing during daylight hours:D:D:D

I fish when i can and if i can, for those who can choose when then can fish i am deeply envious but i hope that day will come for me.

Playing devils advocate here...................

Why not do away with fishing during daylight hours:D:D:D

I fish when i can and if i can, for those who can choose when then can fish i am deeply envious but i hope that day will come for me.

Why not do away with fishing during daylight hours

That would serve the purpose of keeping tiresome young scamps off the bank with the "'Ave ya caught anything, mister?", no loss whatsoever. And, dissuade the more elderly gentlemen from venturing out for fear of being mugged. Without the latter's contributions, club revenues would take a dive.

Alex makes the point earlier, Tom. Why would I say we should limit night fishing hours and not daylight? Because in my experience fish seem to feed that much more confidently at night, certainly on rivers with minimal turbidity.
Strange isn't it?

Damian

Alex makes the point earlier, Tom. Why would I say we should limit night fishing hours and not daylight? Because in my experience fish seem to feed that much more confidently at night, certainly on rivers with minimal turbidity.
Strange isn't it?

Damian

Damian, it would appear self -denial appeals to you! Stop night fishing because that's when you're most likely to catch something!
It's a bizarre way of looking at things but interesting to say the least. As a Chelsea supporter I should be happy as Larry because we are having an awful season!:mad:
I'm not taking the mick Damian, each to his own but being happy with what we can't have as opposed to what we can have sounds a bit mystic somehow.

Hi men ,

Iv give it a go , I don't want Luton Town to play champions league football ................................... , no , not working for me !.

Hatter

It's not really, Alex. It's about having the understanding that the myth that we lead our lives with today, of being seperate from everything around us and just an ego in a bag of skin, continues our neurosis. Driven by this delight for any perceived immediate pleasures, we've almost become distinctly disconnected from everything else, disconnected from where we came.
You're not going to be happy with present Chelsea performances, Alex, but you should be mindful that squiggly lines of peaks and troughs abound through nature - the deeper the trough, the higher the peak.

Damian

Yep - the reason we're **** Alex is the squiggly lines of peaks and troughs - either that, or a mangager who hasn't got a clue ;)
As to night fishing - chance'd be a fine thing - none of my clubs allow it - would be nice to be able to fish that extra half hour though.

It's not really, Alex. It's about having the understanding that the myth that we lead our lives with today, of being seperate from everything around us and just an ego in a bag of skin, continues our neurosis. Driven by this delight for any perceived immediate pleasures, we've almost become distinctly disconnected from everything else, disconnected from where we came.
You're not going to be happy with present Chelsea performances, Alex, but you should be mindful that squiggly lines of peaks and troughs abound through nature - the deeper the trough, the higher the peak.

Damian
Yes I get that Damian, it's true that when things are going badly the good times are so much better. Works with both fishing and football and even work I guess!

Don`t see the difference betweet night and day fishing other than one is light and one is dark lol and do both myself and my local club Amalgamated Fisheries charge an extra £50 on top of there ticket prices just to night fish and i personaly know one of the farmers who used to rent his land to them and he never got any of this money for people to be on his land after dark and booted Amalgamated Fisheries off his land because of it.

Andy

Last edited:
I think that it would be a lovely day to go fishing and into the dark.

And why not?

Hugo

Because I have infernal chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and have to stay at home looking after my daughter's lurcher puppy..........

Last edited:
Back