• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your opinions on night fishing ?

well anyway i for one am looking forward to a couple of hours before & a couple after dark tomorrow regardless of the outcome fish-wise.

Hi men ,

What a bloody load of twaddle , if someone wants to fish through the night because he can't fish during " normal " times due to work , family comitments , or because they enjoy it , good luck to them .

Hatter

On the post itself, it would seem that a consensus of opinion is forming. Definitely no bivvies over night as this attracts the wrong type of chap, fishing a couple of hours into darkness would be perfectly acceptable. Those who bivvy all night should really be at home otherwise there may be some scoundrel bivvying up with the wife.

:D

Definately no bite alarms. If you need an electronic device to tell you you've got a barbel on, you're doing something very wrong. The whole practice of going to sleep in a tent with baited rods out that has drifted in from carp fishing has no place on the river big or small! :p

True enough Jim, all opinions are valid but I am very wary of the desire to ban something for no better reason than the person wishing to implement a ban doesn't like it. I remember a very well known angler writing an article in CAT suggesting night fishing be banned to relieve round the clock pressure on barbel (Stour I think, or Hants Avon) Surprise, surprise, this angling writer hates night fishing.
Why not suggest a rota, e.g. one week Mondays and Tuesdays no fishing, next week Wednesdays and Thursdays no fishing etc, etc, so the fish get a break and those of us who enjoy night fishing are not victimised.
Most people who advocate a ban on night fishing quote the welfare of the fish as their main concern.
But it's a fair bet 99% of them don't like night fishing, and that's the real reason they want it banned.

Hi men ,

What a bloody load of twaddle , if someone wants to fish through the night because he can't fish during " normal " times due to work , family comitments , or because they enjoy it , good luck to them .

Hatter

I agree 100% with you. So long as it is allowed, then fine.

You know, there are some people on here who's are really up thier own bottoms!

Hi men ,

Hatter

And that just about sums it up Mark:)

It's with some trepidation that I post on here, David, expressing such views, as even with minimal wisdom one can see they'd be unpopular, with Ian's post however, it might time to start thinking about hanging up the keyboard. :)

Damian, I must apologise, no offence meant, I was merely referring to the fine and eloquent manner in which you had elaborated your point, some might feel a sense of pride to be compared with young Paul :p

Give us a hug x

i love nights myself, but summer only, freezing my bits off during the winter doesn't appeal to me at all, i love watching the world waking up, fantastic!
by the way, do waterfowl sleep, i had some swans making a right racket in my swim all night once.

Damian, I must apologise, no offence meant, I was merely referring to the fine and eloquent manner in which you had elaborated your point, some might feel a sense of pride to be compared with young Paul :p

Give us a hug x

Ian, I think that's a really nice gesture. Referring to eloquence, there really is some shocking written English on this site.

Don't our beloved quarry get 3 months a year break? And its not like they get fished for 24/7 the rest of the year now is it!

Don't our beloved quarry get 3 months a year break? And its not like they get fished for 24/7 the rest of the year now is it!

Yes they get three months and generally speaking are not fished for 24/7. But some stretches, Adams Mill for instance, were hammered for obvious reasons. In these scenarios it's not difficult to work out some sort of rota that could still include night fishing, though I think the night ban there was more down to the landowners wishes

Of all the clubs who ban night fishing, BAA are the most surprising as they actually own a great deal of the land where their waters run. Having said that it is hardly strictly enforced and I have seen the baliff still fishing when I have left well after dark!

True enough Jim, all opinions are valid but I am very wary of the desire to ban something for no better reason than the person wishing to implement a ban doesn't like it. I remember a very well known angler writing an article in CAT suggesting night fishing be banned to relieve round the clock pressure on barbel (Stour I think, or Hants Avon) Surprise, surprise, this angling writer hates night fishing.
Why not suggest a rota, e.g. one week Mondays and Tuesdays no fishing, next week Wednesdays and Thursdays no fishing etc, etc, so the fish get a break and those of us who enjoy night fishing are not victimised.
Most people who advocate a ban on night fishing quote the welfare of the fish as their main concern.
But it's a fair bet 99% of them don't like night fishing, and that's the real reason they want it banned.

I agree Alex,
People are entitled to their opinions whatever they are, and for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean they should expect them to be forced upon others, the danger is when those people hold positions of power, such as match dominated committees, and are able to influence rule making spoiling peoples enjoyment for no other reason than as you say they don't like it.

Ian.

I personally think any club allowing night fishing, should have restrictions on its members allowed to night fish. By this I mean;
Are they mature enough? no parties, etc, Limited tickets available per night only for responsible anglers.
Do they have adequate kit for night fishing. lights, bivvy, clothing etc
Do they profess enough quailities as anglers to be allowed to night fish etc.
Just a couple of points to stop the applaurable things that happen on day ticket/members only stretches that I have seen. such as;
shouting all night, drinking, defecating in the pegs, smoking pot, going to bed with the rods out all night, freezing to death, having no respect for the surroundings and other anglers, bonfires including burning their bivvies, litter, leaving 30 empty tins of beer in the undergrowth and the biggest thing being complete W##kers.

Once they/you have found the respect of fellow anglers and bailliffs etc, then they should be able to night fish. I am not knocking night fishing at all, but standards need to be achieved.

Jon

Jon, if the examples you give above are happening, and on a club water, then the committee is not doing it's job, most of the restrictions you advise are part of the rules in the club i belong to, but in all honesty it's very very rare anyone abuses them, that must be a nightmare for you if you have to put up with that sort of thing regularly, it just wouldn't be tolerated in my club, it'd get stamped on immediatly, with severe consequences for the perpetrators.

Ian.

Ian, you said.

"People are entitled to their opinions whatever they are, and for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean they should expect them to be forced upon others, the danger is when those people hold positions of power, such as match dominated committees, and are able to influence rule making spoiling peoples enjoyment for no other reason than as you say they don't like it."

Spot on Ian, whatever "fishing type Group" wish to spoil others enjoyment.

Graham

Hi men,

Ian, I think that's a really nice gesture. Referring to eloquence, there really is some shocking written English on this site.

More bloody twaddle , it's just a site for a load of smelly barbel fishermen to have a place to chat about barbel fishing , when they ain't night fishing :D . There are people who post in a way to show their talents , others , like myself , who write as they speak , it takes alsorts .

Buzzers , used at low volume , not a problem with them at all ???. There are people I know who use their baitrunners a to enable you to take your eye off the rod , using the sound of the baitrunner clutch to alert then .With delkims especially , they can be a usefull bit of kit . Certainly as good , no better !, than the centerpin ratchet that a fellow angler was using when he fished into dark on the kennet , as a buzzer !

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Used to night fish by necessity, now night fish 100% by inclination. I'm surrounded by lots of people all day so look forward to the solitude night fishing can bring. Incidently, the B.A.A allow some night fishing but could provide more in my opinion.
Regards,
Graham.

The BAA's ludicrous policy of buying a night ticket in advance needs scrapping. Night fished one of their lakes once, phoned up to get a ticket 'that's fine, you're the only one booked on for the night', 4 others night fishing, including a bailiff! Didn't get another one! Another time spoke to a couple of guys bivvied up for carp on the river, a stretch you can't night fish, said the farmer was happy for them to do so, and they weren't even members!
Why they don't have a seperate season night ticket is beyond me, sure they'd make more money, and yes, they could open up more waters to night fishing.

Rhys,

I used to be a bailiff for the BAA and have sat at various meetings..I raised the point regarding allowing more night fishing some years ago and their answer for not allowing more was because of contests..The BAA mainly cater for matchmen Rhys as you are probably already aware..

Good points from Craig and Rhys above. Most clubs reasons for banning night fishing is their match angling focus. Unfortunately, most "open" clubs committees are made up of match anglers and their policies are therefore easy to implement. It can take a long time and a lot of determnation to get different thinking anglers voted on to committees in any worthwhile numbers. We did manage to get one elected to Banburys committee many years ago but before he could make an impact he got banned for........night fishing!!

Back