• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wallis Casting

Each to their own, but for me there is no better tool for controlling a float when trotting, than a pin ;)

Mark,

Hopefully you will get someone close to home to teach you how to cast, as it really does open up a lot more opportunities. If you don't though, and are prepared to travel up to the Ribble, I will take you on the river for a day this winter and teach you :)

Don't be swayed into using a coffee grinder :D

Terry,
Thank you, that's a very kind offer which I may well take you up on if nobody else nearer home is willing and able to help a fellow BFW'ER out.

Always makes me laugh how those who cant do it don't see the need. Mark asked for help, not alternatives.

There is no finer way to float fish....... in my opinion.

Mark, I have come across a few folks over the years who find it almost impossible to master, others have the knack in 5 mins.

All I can say is stick at it and nip up the M6 to take Terry up on his offer.

Alternatives are help!
God love the smug centrepin aficionados!

You're right though, there is no better way to trot a float, but trotting a far bank run in water too deep to wade, with a pin, is far more trouble than it's worth.

Yes I have indeed but the difference between theory and practice is sadly a very large gap for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6a-P44oQI is my clip and although I am now retired from coaching I would be happy to meet somewhere convenient to both of us and give you a few pointers. I am based near Newbury.

The cast requires you to do two actions with each hand simultaneously and this takes practice to rewire the synapses in your brain. Previous expertise on the Xbox (whatever that is!) is an advantage, so I'm told.

PM me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6a-P44oQI is my clip and although I am now retired from coaching I would be happy to meet somewhere convenient to both of us and give you a few pointers. I am based near Newbury.

The cast requires you to do two actions with each hand simultaneously and this takes practice to rewire the synapses in your brain. Previous expertise on the Xbox (whatever that is!) is an advantage, so I'm told.

PM me.

Martin,
Thank you, that's very generous of you to make me that offer and I appreciate it.
Newbury is not too far away for me.
I will pm you a little later today.
Many Thanks
Mark

I'm glad Martin showed up :D

When I wrote my article on centrepins I realised that it was not complete because "I don't do floats" and where casting floats with a c'pin is concerned it's a technique (differs from casting a lead) that was not a skill I could pass on. I used to demonstrate all forms of casting (including at the BS annual show) and primarily for barbel fishing where leads figure for me :)

I asked Martin to write a piece specific to using a c'pin for float fishing and Chris Plumb (haven't seen him for years) one for trotting specifically for barbel, and these are contained (links) within my article.

I have demonstrated the Wallis cast for many many people, some "get it" some don't. As TonyR said, many whom don't "get it" say they don't see the need, centrepins and/or Wallis casting :D

PM sent Martin.

And I'd like to say thank you to everyone else that has either posted or PM'd me on this topic.

Last edited:
My old friend John Crosby [ Horsenipples] on the previous BFW forum was a demon at the Wallis cast . I watched him cast right across the Yorkshire Ouse ,which is no babbling brook with consumate ease . Spurred on by this I had a go myself . TBH I found it easier to do with a float set up than with a lead as I got less over runs .I got fairly good at it , BUT if you don't keep practicing , [as I didn't], you end up back at square one , it's really a matter of training your brain if that makes sense .

Makes perfect sense.

I spent 15 mins on the phone with Martin yesterday morning and he talked me through it and pointed out a couple of errors that I was making unintentionally (subconciously).

By mid afternoon yesterday I was managing to Wallis cast about 20 yards in my back garden.......amazing what a difference a call makes.

I will of course keep practising but I really can't praise Martin enough for his pointers.

Are you sure it wasn't JR Hartley, Mark (sounds like a great ad idea for BT)? Glad you've got it going a little better.

Sound common sense from Mike..... :)

If you have an out and out trotting rod, it pays to have an extra but ring fitted near the reel. This allows another finger to be used, near the others. Sounds odd but it does work.

Once you get confident you will find your thumb can palm the reel forward, and give you another few yards.

Richard.

Careful Richard, the society of wistful, nostalgic pin botherers will be on your case! :D

I'd use a closed faced more often if I could find one with a decent drag!

Careful Richard, the society of wistful, nostalgic pin botherers will be on your case! :D
!

Not at all. I've just set my heart on becoming proficient with the pin.
I'm on the trent at the moment and have had a great day catching decent dace and roach on the pin.
Have even been Wallis Casting semi decently.

Back