• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wallis Casting

Mark Dodd

I've fished with centrepins on and off over the years and have decided after concentrating on big nocturnal barbel over the last 5 years or so to concentrate more on daytime trotting for all species.

Whilst fairly proficient in their use I am properly rubbish at the Wallis cast.

I've practiced and practiced, watched the clips on YouTube, and then practiced again, but am still just as bad at getting a decent cast executed.

Are there any fellow anglers proficient in the art in the Worcestershire/Warwickshire/Brum area that could lend me a hand?

Or anyone know of any decent tuition (even if paid for)?

Cheers

I wish I could help, Mark, however; firstly I'm in Manchester and secondly, I'm also pretty rubbish at the Wallis cast - though I'm getting better (with a lead as opposed to a float).

I'm sure (I would hope) you'll get a few offers on here.... :)

Like you Mark, I struggled for years, and I started learning it (or trying to) when I was in my early teens, when I SHOULD have been able to pick things like that up quite easily. Never managed it, though, and even trying to give it a go now with step-by-step slow-mo videos on YouTube, I still can't get it. So now I just use the Nottingham cast, which is pish easy, just as (if not more) accurate than the Wallis, and you can also get a fairly decent distance if you're using a fairly long rod (13ft plus). You're also less likely to have tons of excess line flying off the reel and ending up as a nest by your feet - that was always the main problem I had with the Wallis.

Nottingham cast's easy, can't get my head around the wallis cast so don't bother with it. To be honest I find trotting with a pin a pain if it's not directly off the rod tip or close to it, if I have to cast far I'll use a fixed spool.

Its 'just' pulling loops (2 or 3) of line through rod rings, then releasing them just as you cast out Cliff ...as opposed to the 'Wallis', where the centrepin is made to spin to allow line out.

Gave up with center pins many years ago. Could never get the float go fly more than a few feet. So i now trot with my ABU 507. Much neater and no tangled line

I gave up on centrepins and then went back for another go. However, I have to admit that I don't leger with them. What I can say is that if you are struggling with them, and Wallis casting in particular, the quickest way to see you right is a day with someone that knows what they are doing. I managed to become reasonably competent using them without Wallis casting. After struggling with it, I gave up on it and made do without for several years. A quick demo this summer with someone that knows what they are doing and I can now Wallis cast after a fashion. I'm not good at it, but I can do it. As I try it more, I get steadily better. I may even give legering a go sometime. The biggest snag I have at the moment is that I can loop cast a float just as far as I can Wallis cast. It's sometimes easier to just loop cast than practice the Wallis.

I've not mastered the Wallis either, but I am fairly proficient with the "off the side" method, admittedly more with a lead than with a float rig. If I'm float fishing with a pin I tend to go nottingham cast or wade so I can fish directly off the rod top.

Gave up with center pins many years ago. Could never get the float go fly more than a few feet. So i now trot with my ABU 507. Much neater and no tangled line

Never found a need for centrepins, can do all and more with closed face for float fishing and fixed spool for ledgering.

Never found a need for centrepins, can do all and more with closed face for float fishing and fixed spool for ledgering.

Each to their own, but for me there is no better tool for controlling a float when trotting, than a pin ;)

Mark,

Hopefully you will get someone close to home to teach you how to cast, as it really does open up a lot more opportunities. If you don't though, and are prepared to travel up to the Ribble, I will take you on the river for a day this winter and teach you :)

Don't be swayed into using a coffee grinder :D

Phil - it's not a 'need', just a preference really and being able to cast makes it all the more enjoyable. Having said that, I tend to catch most of my barbel pretty close in (I fish the smaller rivers). It's not for everyone, admittedly, and probably seems like a backward step to some, however with angling, increasing technology doesn't necessarily equal an increase in pleasure. That's my take on it......and I enjoy using 'pins (which is what it's all about)... :)

Back