• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Undergunned?

Did you ever consider putting some of your theories into practice Neil? My three Wizards all work fine and do you know my superb 45 year old Chapman’s 700 Denis Pye pike rods have tamed one or two decent pike in their time. Incidentally time is by no means over yet.
The only thing I have found my wooden rods do not do well is cast a long way.

I have a few old cane rods Kevin which never see the light of day, just that I have no confidence in them. But that's me.
If you want I can see what I have in the Garage if you would like them.

Being pedantic for a moment bamboo is not a wood, strictly speaking its a grass.

Anyway, life got in the way of my grayling plans and it was almost dark by the time I got to the river so I ended up sitting it out in the rain, under my brotel, behind 12' of carbon waiting for one of the barbel to trip herself up, I was joined by a good friend who netted the only fish of the night for me, a fin perfect specimen of 13.6 which unfortunately was foul hooked in the pectoral fin so went back with no pictures.
I did think after I should have photographed it as it was a pb foul hooked fish for me.
The only other action of the night was when Karl walked into my line as I was rebaiting and dragged a number 8 hook into my finger up to the bend, that made my eyes water a bit.

same thing happened to me ade a few years back,,i was getting a set of trebles out of brambles for a bunch of kids,one of them walked through the line and a treble went hard and deep in to my finger. I went to my mates café and tried pliers ,forceps etc but the hook was well in and there was claret all over the show,so I had to suffer the indignity of a trip to hospital,which made a bunch of nurses burst into hysterical laughter:rolleyes:

:)

If Kevin doesn't want them , I will take them off your hands :)

Very generous, from memory I have a very old victorian keepnet, a cloth 'game bag with leather straps, a 3 or 4 split cane rods plus a green heart (I think) a 60's ally extending handle a cane 6' handle still both very useable. Mitchell 206 and various other mitchells, a B&W Avon Rod, a Hardy Avon Rod, preist, Pike gag, half set golf clubs.:)
Oh yes a Royal Wedding Charles and Diana trotting rod, that I bought in a Auction in Cirencester.

:)

Neil that’s a very generous offer that I will unfortunately have to decline. I have; if you will excuse the pun more "wooden rods" (Sorry Ade "grass rods" just don't work does it?) than I can shake a stick at. My long suffering would give me an ear thicker than a Severn Barbel if I brought any more home. A 4 inch Arial trotting reel would be nice if your garage holds a spare one though good chance of getting that past the radar?

Albert. I have far too many carbon rods. All very good at doing the job they were designed for in a totally soulless manner. I also have glass rods, an Apollo steel rod and two Spanish reed “match†rods among other weird stuff. Funny thing it’s only the carbon rods I ever sell on.

Different bloke Graham but same mind set, in fact they would get on well.
Those were good days, I often wonder where it all went pear shaped.

We will have a natter about it some time Ade, This is probably the wrong thread.....as was the reason for your wonderment. :rolleyes:;)

Neil that’s a very generous offer that I will unfortunately have to decline. I have; if you will excuse the pun more "wooden rods" (Sorry Ade "grass rods" just don't work does it?) than I can shake a stick at. My long suffering would give me an ear thicker than a Severn Barbel if I brought any more home. A 4 inch Arial trotting reel would be nice if your garage holds a spare one though good chance of getting that past the radar?

Albert. I have far too many carbon rods. All very good at doing the job they were designed for in a totally soulless manner. I also have glass rods, an Apollo steel rod and two Spanish reed “match†rods among other weird stuff. Funny thing it’s only the carbon rods I ever sell on.

These grass rods:) are somewhere in the void of the garage roof I made when we moved in 7 years ago, along with all the other stuff, I can't recall a Arial reel, but I will have to get up there soon to sort it out.
I do agree that these old rods have a lot more appeal than carbon, a good split cane is really a thing of beauty.

These grass rods:) are somewhere in the void of the garage roof I made when we moved in 7 years ago, along with all the other stuff, I can't recall a Arial reel, but I will have to get up there soon to sort it out.
I do agree that these old rods have a lot more appeal than carbon, a good split cane is really a thing of beauty.

If ever you do get round to digging that lot out Neil the £50 to charity was a serious offer, you can even choose your own charity.
I can also collect as I have a syndicate place on the lower Severn so get down there fairly regularly. Could even arrange a guest day if you fancy it.

Ade
I used a Kennet perfection for many years, used it to float fish for Barbel and Chub and it was fine!

I would still give it a go now if some SOB had not nicked it:mad:

I'm sure your "Wizard" would do the trick!!

Kevin,I know split cane rods and such are nice.i have the original Peter stone leger strike and also a ken smith glass match leger.i have had my fair share of barbel on them over the last 45 years but never use them now.they
don't cut it like my free spirits.a matter of opinion really.
Albert

Back