• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Undergunned?

Adrian Williams

No Longer a Member
I'm fishing a river tomorrow which holds barbel up to 18lb but also lots of grayling which are my target species. Will I be irresponsible if I use my Allcocks Super Wizard?

I have no idea what that is but as it includes words such as "allcocks" and "wizard" it would appear to be more than adequate for your needs. And I want one.

Whole cane with split cane top two section....sounds like I would prefer to keep it on the wall, can you imagine the mayhem if a reasonable barbel was attached?
But I guess that is the dilemma with small river fishing and using the 'right' gear for the target species. So many rivers now contain Barbel the chances are very real you will be broken.
I remember when fishing such a small river trotting for Roach etc I was broken by a Barbel, I recounted this to a member who in a way criticised me for fishing 'too light'.
I did step up my hooklength and caught the probable culprit, but it is a balancing act and of course no one would relish leaving hooks/ line in any fish.

Whole cane with split cane top two section....sounds like I would prefer to keep it on the wall, can you imagine the mayhem if a reasonable barbel was attached?
But I guess that is the dilemma with small river fishing and using the 'right' gear for the target species. So many rivers now contain Barbel the chances are very real you will be broken.
I remember when fishing such a small river trotting for Roach etc I was broken by a Barbel, I recounted this to a member who in a way criticised me for fishing 'too light'.
I did step up my hooklength and caught the probable culprit, but it is a balancing act and of course no one would relish leaving hooks/ line in any fish.

Very true Neil, but then equally some would criticise you if you went trotting for roach with a 1.75tc rod and 8lb line straight through - bit brutal, and probably not that effective!

Maybe if the mortals amongst us had a clue what a wizard was we could format an opinion

But if you are targeting a small fish the nobody can really complain

I'm fishing a river tomorrow which holds barbel up to 18lb but also lots of grayling which are my target species. Will I be irresponsible if I use my Allcocks Super Wizard?

Adrian,

If you do get an 18 pounder make sure you cast back in as soon as possible because big Barbel are often found in groups

Richard

Ade unlike a carbon blank it can be fixed if you do break it. I aint talking Barder prices either.
As Walker beat a 44lb carp with something wooden with very little more backbone I fail to see how anyone can doubt your wizard’s ability to do the job. The only real question is what rod rest?

Possibly age might be a factor, wood dries out and the rod will lose some tensile strength. Glue for the split cane also will be less effective.
Nice to look at though, and lots of sentiment attached to these rods..but:rolleyes:

Very true Neil, but then equally some would criticise you if you went trotting for roach with a 1.75tc rod and 8lb line straight through - bit brutal, and probably not that effective!

Oh! I agree 100% in fact my starting point is the lightest I can get away with, perhaps using a 12/13' carbon match rod with say 3/4 lb straight through would be able to tame many a barbel with care, but also be fine for Roach (are there any left?) Perhaps a cane match rod of that vintage may be less able to cope.

Possibly age might be a factor, wood dries out and the rod will lose some tensile strength. Glue for the split cane also will be less effective.
Nice to look at though, and lots of sentiment attached to these rods..but:rolleyes:

Did you ever consider putting some of your theories into practice Neil? My three Wizards all work fine and do you know my superb 45 year old Chapman’s 700 Denis Pye pike rods have tamed one or two decent pike in their time. Incidentally time is by no means over yet.
The only thing I have found my wooden rods do not do well is cast a long way.

Being pedantic for a moment bamboo is not a wood, strictly speaking its a grass.

Anyway, life got in the way of my grayling plans and it was almost dark by the time I got to the river so I ended up sitting it out in the rain, under my brotel, behind 12' of carbon waiting for one of the barbel to trip herself up, I was joined by a good friend who netted the only fish of the night for me, a fin perfect specimen of 13.6 which unfortunately was foul hooked in the pectoral fin so went back with no pictures.
I did think after I should have photographed it as it was a pb foul hooked fish for me.
The only other action of the night was when Karl walked into my line as I was rebaiting and dragged a number 8 hook into my finger up to the bend, that made my eyes water a bit.

Back