• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tripods

Being on the inquisitive side i bought a fox horizon pod from ebay the other week, i also bought the screw converter so i could use it in the upright rod-up position. I already had a few 48" adjustable banksticks, and retro fitted some delkin D-Loks from my Spro pod. With the buzz bars off it easily fitted into my 4 Rod quiver and seemed about the same weight as my spro. On the Bnk it took a little longer to set up, but seemed as equally sturdy. I set mine up on a grass bank so the three banksticks would easily fit in and be well secure. I had a few screamers of bites and it was rock solid through out. A very good bit of kit.
The only minus is; and i havent tried it yet will be fishing from a gravel bank, as i like to fit a water bucket under my spro pod as a counter balance, but with a bit of string it could be easily resolved.

Jon

Being on the inquisitive side i bought a fox horizon pod from ebay the other week, i also bought the screw converter so i could use it in the upright rod-up position. I already had a few 48" adjustable banksticks, and retro fitted some delkin D-Loks from my Spro pod. With the buzz bars off it easily fitted into my 4 Rod quiver and seemed about the same weight as my spro. On the Bnk it took a little longer to set up, but seemed as equally sturdy. I set mine up on a grass bank so the three banksticks would easily fit in and be well secure. I had a few screamers of bites and it was rock solid through out. A very good bit of kit.
The only minus is; and i havent tried it yet will be fishing from a gravel bank, as i like to fit a water bucket under my spro pod as a counter balance, but with a bit of string it could be easily resolved.

Jon

I hope it wasn't you driving up the price of the one i was bidding on Jon:)

It certainly could have been Mark, got it for £37 plus postage in the end. All in second hand and converted £51. Uber stable.

Jon

On the odd occasion that I use two rods on the Trent these days I use my beach pod, it cost a tenner from #dragon carp. When I got it I took the two front legs off and replaced them with a couple of fox storm caps allowing me to use any extending banksticks, I also removed the rod rests and threaded the 'buzz bar' (a bit grand that description), so I can mount my Delkims on it. on grass its very stable and on gravel or rocks I fill a carrier bag with a few stones and hang it from the hook under the centre boss.

i use the korum but find the rod & butt bars a little too close so therefore not leaving enough space near the right hand rods reel, it catches sometimes. they are well built though & well balanced.

It certainly could have been Mark, got it for £37 plus postage in the end. All in second hand and converted £51. Uber stable.

Jon

You did well there Jon, the couple i'v been watching have gone for a bit more than that. Let me know if you decide its not for you :)

looks a decent price for the pod from Steve, already converted and the storm poles are a big bonus. Just fitted mine with some Delkim Dloks for ease of set up.

Jon

the reason iam selling the pod . ive got 1 ,but i bought for my mate but he dont want it now . the pod is like new ,used about twice .

The Korum is OK but I'd not use it on the Trent. Anyone trying the Korum needs to be wary of over extending it. There's a fair bit of flex in the extending arm. A good hard hit will see your rods catapulted off the rests.:(:D
If you want real solidity but at a high price, look towards the likes of the Fox Ranger or Sky pods. A little less money then a modified Fox Horizon.

Wouldn't swap my Ranger for anything else on the market but, boy oh boy, do you pay through the nose.

I bought the Ranger over a year ago & was well impressed at first, but after a while the the screw threads deteriorated, corroded & then the threads became useless..These screw threads should be brass, they are not & for over £200 it's scandalous..
I returned it to the shop (Erics) & they gave me my money back, I bought a 2nd hand Sky pod which imo is a better made piece of kit, maybe a little heavy but well made..So Ranger owners be warned keep the threads covered in grease, this will help.

I bought the Ranger over a year ago & was well impressed at first, but after a while the the screw threads deteriorated, corroded & then the threads became useless..These screw threads should be brass, they are not & for over £200 it's scandalous..
I returned it to the shop (Erics) & they gave me my money back, I bought a 2nd hand Sky pod which imo is a better made piece of kit, maybe a little heavy but well made..So Ranger owners be warned keep the threads covered in grease, this will help.

Sorry, I didn't see this first time round. I've had the pod for quite some time now, certainly well over a year. It's right enough that the threads are brassy, rather than proper brass (brass with something else added perhaps). However, there's not a sign of corrosion on them and I've not needed any grease to keep it that way. There's always a chance that they've tweaked the product over its production run.

Like the sky pod but very pricey suppose its like owt else you get what you pay for but the ranger not having brass threads at £200 is disgusting to be honest, Iv been using the korum river pod and is fantastic IMO very light and when I used it in a blustery wind I was astonished at how sturdy it was!!
Cheers

Sorry, I didn't see this first time round. I've had the pod for quite some time now, certainly well over a year. It's right enough that the threads are brassy, rather than proper brass (brass with something else added perhaps). However, there's not a sign of corrosion on them and I've not needed any grease to keep it that way. There's always a chance that they've tweaked the product over its production run.

I hope they have Chris because apart from that the Ranger was the perfect barbel pod. I've found I'm back to using banksticks, I can't justify the extra weight the Sky pod adds to my already heavy load..I've been fishing a spot which is a mile walk or bike ride:eek: from my parking spot & I've had a couple of near death experiences;)

Tripod

I'l be looking to buy a tripod for my visits to the Trent and the rare occasions I use 2 rods on the Wye, Iv been looking at either the Gardener/Korum or the Trafford Angling products and was wondering if there's any difference in build quality, anyone got any experience of these.

Thanks

Mark

Over the summer I was in discussion with a major tackle manufacturer (not Fox) about the design of a barbel rod pod. It transpired that they were in the process of producing a pod which will be available early 2012. If it is along the lines of my modified prototype then it will tick most of the boxes. There will be three of these specials made available for BFW members to evaluate. To be one of the lucky winners, you will need to provide an account of a memorable day's fishing and why it was special, (no less than 200 words and no more than 400 words). It doesn't have to be that you bagged up or caught a fish of a lifetime, for instance you could simply describe seeing an otter family at play. In the event of a tie break, you are asked to write a short account of no more than 100 words, why you deserve to be one of the triallists. To enter, just start a new thread titled Triallist. Good luck.

I got all excited with this thread thinking it was about a long forgotten TV kids Sci Fi programme
The_Tripods.jpg

sadly, it seems not.

I used to use a spro pod, which is excellent value and certainly does the job, but through inquisitiveness I bought a Fox Horizon pod, which I have been using a year or so now, with the addition knurled brass widget which gives the pod an easy achievable upward position. It has been excellent this term and it is now my number 1. However at times I have used bank sticks and to be honest if they are secured properly they are just as good as a pod if not better.

ps does this count Jim???

I had a Fox Horizon pod for about a season and as others have said it's good piece of kit, but i found it cumbersome and by the time i'd set it up i could have both rods out,(on bank sticks) and sat enjoying a brew and a fag.

I used to use a spro pod, which is excellent value and certainly does the job, but through inquisitiveness I bought a Fox Horizon pod, which I have been using a year or so now, with the addition knurled brass widget which gives the pod an easy achievable upward position. It has been excellent this term and it is now my number 1. However at times I have used bank sticks and to be honest if they are secured properly they are just as good as a pod if not better.

ps does this count Jim???

A good initial attempt and it looks as though you could be one of the lucky winners by default. The judges are looking for an account of a memorable experience whilst on the bankside and a then complete the tie breaker .. I deserve to be one of the lucky triallists because...

Back