• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tripods

Mark Walters

I'l be looking to buy a tripod for my visits to the Trent and the rare occasions I use 2 rods on the Wye, Iv been looking at either the Gardener/Korum or the Trafford Angling products and was wondering if there's any difference in build quality, anyone got any experience of these.

Thanks

Mark

I use the Spro beach tripod for the Trent, an excellent piece of kit.

Don't bother with the korum, it's nowhere near stable enough for the barbel.

My Trafford Angling tripod fell apart[utter rubbish too much plastic]
The Korum looks no better.
Some one once posted a WWW for a nice stainless steel looking job but it was around £90.
Good job i hardly get to go fishing.

MH

Spro beach tripod has served me well over 3 seasons so far. I also like the 2 bank stick approach when spacing rods out. Seen the korum and Trafford tripods and for me all they deserved was a look IMO.

If you're going to 'live' on the Tidal Trent, get a Spro. Otherwise a Trafford tripod will suffice, as it's a good piece of kit in its own right.

the spro trpod already has a 3/8 thread for your alarms, which is an added bonus. Agreed Antnony a must for the TT.

hi mark, eddie i use a scaffolding bar cut down to 12 inches, blank the bottom off, then drill a hole in it then weld a nut to the base with a 3/8 bolt this will srew into ure bank stick, u choose what degree u want it ,and this will never come out of the rod rest, then when u get a bit u just , slide it out into the bite, hope this help u,

In my early days we used to use the old fashion beach rod rests pushed in to the desired angle..cheap a chips and equally serviceable but not to be confused with 'BLING'

They were something along the lines of these.

images

images

images

Cheers

Adie

tirrod

mark go to reviews look fox horizon pod modifications
u can pick a secondhand pod up for £40-£50 go to ebay
conversion fitting item no 160549224680 for £8.99
thats what i use

The Korum is OK but I'd not use it on the Trent. Anyone trying the Korum needs to be wary of over extending it. There's a fair bit of flex in the extending arm. A good hard hit will see your rods catapulted off the rests.:(:D
If you want real solidity but at a high price, look towards the likes of the Fox Ranger or Sky pods. A little less money then a modified Fox Horizon.

Wouldn't swap my Ranger for anything else on the market but, boy oh boy, do you pay through the nose.

Thanks for all the input guys, I like the idea of the fox horizon conversion and will probally go down this route if i can find one for under 50 pounds

Trafford Anglings are not bad, not has good as the fox's tho. I have a T/A and it does me when I cant get the sticks in:D

I was also interested in the gardener as there products are normally good but after seeing the Fox Horizon conversion I don't think i'l bother, if i can fing one for the right price it shouldn't work out to be too much more money.

Back