• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tin of worms....open!

David Gauntlett

There have been one or two threads/posts recently asking why folk are no longer allowed to fish (or do whatever) the way they want to, without criticism or comment. The authors are asking in so many words why our freedom of choice is being taken away by the censorship of others...and it bought to mind something that I have not heard asked before, but which really intrigues me, and perhaps niggles me a bit as well :D

What exactly was it that bought about this rather odd, and very sudden hatred....of camo type clothing? What was it that started this derision 'cult' that is currently all the rage against anything that could even vaguely be labelled as 'camo gear' ?

I understand that camo gear is hardly essential, your can obviously make yourself pretty well invisible without it if you try hard enough. However, it does no harm either...and I doubt even the most die-hard critic would seriously try to pretend that it does. I have heard rather feeble comments to the effect that realtree (for instance) doesn't blend too well with plain grass banks...but we all know really that that is utter nonsense. At the very worst, that person would look like a bush or whatever on the bank...which may even draw the fish to you for cover :D:D:D

Seriously though, my point is....why is it that if a person happens to like camo gear, either because they think it helps with concealment, or whatever their reason....that nowadays that makes that person a 'numpty' in so many peoples view? What suddenly made camo gear a no-no? Why does it now cause such childish derision to be poured on the head of anyone who chooses to wear it? What the hell is suddenly SO wrong with it?

And PLEASE don't tell me it's because 'it makes you look silly'.....remember, I am OLD....I have had a lot of years to appreciate how silly we ALL look when we are fishing, whatever the hell we choose to wear.....and however good we THINK we look :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Perfectly relaxed about virtually any clothing for fishing (you can wear a ballet dancer's tutu, for all I care), even if some camo-wearers are "Camo On the Inside" (blinkered outlook, naked ambition, ever prying and half-inching, morals of the proverbial alleycat etc), a very unpleasant Angling condition which one can only hope they will eventually grow out of...

PS - Check out flyfishers. Now, they're really something, with a gazillion, dinky little semi-surgical gadgets dangling on extension lead "zingers" off their t***.

Last edited:
Perfectly relaxed about virtually any clothing for fishing (you can wear a ballet dancer's tutu, for all I care), even if some camo-wearers are "Camo On the Inside" (blinkered outlook, naked ambition, ever prying and half-inching, morals of the proverbial alleycat etc), a very unpleasant Angling condition which one can only hope they will eventually grow out of...

PS - Check out flyfishers. Now, they're really something, with a gazillion, dinky little semi-surgical gadgets dangling on extension lead "zingers" off their t***.

Ah!! but, aren't some non-camo wearers aswell. In fact seeing that camo wearers are in the minority, it stands to reason that more non-camo wearers are in fact, tits!! ;)

So, if you don't wish to be labelled a "tit", wear camo! :D

The Chairman on Monday

Anyone who for opts for any sort of "uniform" (the Military and our Lady Guides being the only exceptions) is a megaboob, in my opinion, a veritable piscatorial Jordan (and we've seen recently how the public have finally seen through her) .

As ever,

B.B.

Hi men,

Bloke fishing near me yesterday looked like he had just come from the pub!, and any uniform would have been better that what he had on !!!

Then again he was practising the worst case of barbel , or come to think of it , any angling I have seen . 2 rods on bank sticks , set high up , slack lines across the narrow river ( 20 ft ) to fierce snag trees. Waiting for the baitrunners to kick in .

Trivial chit chat about camo if you see that !.

Hatter

I think I shall wear this on my net visit:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270456744199
eBayISAPI.dll

I am sure that I can therefore evoke maximum apoplexy!

A Camo-Wearer!

Last edited:
Hi men,

Bloke fishing near me yesterday looked like he had just come from the pub!, and any uniform would have been better that what he had on !!!

Then again he was practising the worst case of barbel , or come to think of it , any angling I have seen . 2 rods on bank sticks , set high up , slack lines across the narrow river ( 20 ft ) to fierce snag trees. Waiting for the baitrunners to kick in .

Trivial chit chat about camo if you see that !.

Hatter

An all too common occurrence I'm afraid. The world is full of clowns.

As ever

Hugo

I've worn camo every day for the past four months and I'm sick to the back teeth of it!;):D
I won't wear military camo at all when fishing or shooting. Where I live it can be frowned upon by some due to our proximity to Catterick Garrison. I do have commercial camo patterns (Realtree and Mossy Oak) that I often shoot and ferret in. However, I tend not to use them for fishing. This is partly because of the way that some anglers look down their noses at it and mainly because I don't want it stinking of fish when I'm trying to sneak up on small furry things.:D

I personally do not have a problem with people wearing whatever they want on the bankside as long as it doesn’t interfere with other peoples fishing.
The anti-camo brigade do seem intent in voicing their opinions of how people should look, and what methods they choose to adopt in their pursuit of this sport. If it isn't the adornment of camouflage clothing they are whinging about it would be something else.
Some of the anti-camo comments even went as far as to say that camouflage doesn’t work! I have lost count of the times I have been roving along a river to find somebody in a swim wearing camo which I haven’t seen until right on top of them!
With regard to the bigger of censorship by others……If an angler’s chosen approach to fishing with regard to their clothes, tackle, tactics etc. isn’t interfering with other peoples fishing, harming the fish/environment in any way, or breaking fishery/club rules then why have an issue with it

I wear German Army issue goretex camo gear which I purchased for a pittance off ebay. The overtrousers which have a small bib and come with braces were less than £30 brand new!!! If someone can source a suitable non-camo outfit of a similar spec for the same price I would gladly wear it. Until then I'm warm, dry, and happy with what I've got.:)

Im not down with all this camo gear and yes Dave I do think you people look silly in it . Real tree whats that all about ?:eek:

I go shooting every week, so realtree is a real advantage to me in woods etc.
So i wear my realtree jacket for fishing as dont want to have to spend out twice.
Keeps me dry and warm, nuff said!!!

Wait till people start turning up in Ghillie Suits for their fishing! I shoot a lot and I barely see their relevance for shooting!

Cheers,

Steven

I wear German Army issue goretex camo gear which I purchased for a pittance off ebay. The overtrousers which have a small bib and come with braces were less than £30 brand new!!! If someone can source a suitable non-camo outfit of a similar spec for the same price I would gladly wear it. Until then I'm warm, dry, and happy with what I've got.:)

Hit the nail on the head...;)

I think its more carpers who have all camo gear then park a ruddy great white van behind them:eek::rolleyes:

Back