• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tidal trent.

personally i would worry more about the welfare of the fish if you hook a good double on the tidal with those rods you could probably land it no question.. but it would take you a lot longer than it would if you were using rods that weren’t under gunned... taking into account you are going in august when it could be scorching hot therefore less oxygen in the water a prolonged fight in those conditions would be detrimental to the fish
you could probably get a pair of korum rods that would do the job for around £100 why take the risk ?
100% bang on the money I am quite hard on them trying to get them in unhooked and rested at any time of the year I dont want an exhausted Barbel thats had a prolonged scrap on under gunned rods and line to massage my ego !!!!!

There has to be a balance between 'hauling' them in, and playing the fish (though not too exhaustion). I tend to use the lightest tackle that will feasibly enable me to land the fish. So, if fish welfare is the primary issue, perhaps best not to fish for them when dissolved oxygen is depleted. Personally, I don't like all this 'moral high ground' kinda attitude which relates to angling. "I do this and I do that, which is better than what you're doing".... Or are we talking the tidal, specifically?

Wow!!!! Way to go there Nick. I’m just gonna repeat that as it was quite a bold statement and took a bit to digest……

All rod builders in the uk are lacking both time and the expertise required to build a rod you have designed.

I honestly can say that I have never seen such an arrogant paragraph written on BFW. Seriously Nick it’s time for a few home truths……. An attitude like that is not going to earn you any respect from anyone I know on here. Constant Name dropping, bragging and extremely wild assumptions just to name the top 3.
Oh and what a claim in that paragraph..,,, icing on the cake that’s for sure.
you know all the uk builders then?
you have their schedules out infront of you and you know exactly what they are and aren’t capable of doing? Total and utter bollocks!!!
Nick if you knew 10% of what you claim on here You’d perhaps be able to back it up with a bit more than an arrogant claim and afew well known names dropped.
i have made my case - and have plenty to back up what i say

arrogant - i would agree - but i say things as i see them

but perhaps unlike you i spent nearly ten years as a professional salmon 'guide'

and unlike most online posters my catches are there to see - to those who know me

Last edited:
and this is my last post on the forum

thanks for those who listened and maybe will improve their angling?

best wishes to all including my stalkers/detractors

but some may wish to reflect on their comments?

why have so many major players in the rod market trusted me to work on their rods?

anyway, my future looks more towards deer stalking and buying a new Porsche, pmsl

Last edited:
Back