• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tidal trent.

Chris Allcock

How's it going everyone?
I hope all is well, I'm off to the tidal trent in August I was just wondering if my 1.75 tc barbel rods would suffice? I was rattling to the bloke in AD and he said they would be no good as the barbel are massive... Now I remember just about, 33 ish years ago my grandad caught a 26lb mirror carp on Shropshire Union canal at market drayton with his fibre glass match rods, 6lb line, and It took an about an hour to land. Now I know there's a difference between still water and water with a heavy current. But nevertheless it was a fish that was extremely wild and had never been caught before so it fought like a demon almost to the point of snapping his rods. I would say fishing rods have come on leaps and bounds since then... Carbon fibre is extremely durable and also very strong compared to fibre glass,I mean look at that chap who caught that 96lb catfish in Worcester a couple of years back he only had 2lb tc barbel rods.
I welcome your advice.

The fish nost definitely aren't the issue for 1.75tc rods, it will come down to casting weight, loaded feeder etc, and of course conditions on the day.

If there's no extra water on (dependant on how tidal the stretch is), i would expect you can cope for a session with those rods, however if you are fishing a more tidal stretch, or there is extra water pushing through, you may struggle.

The fish nost definitely aren't the issue for 1.75tc rods, it will come down to casting weight, loaded feeder etc, and of course conditions on the day.

If there's no extra water on (dependant on how tidal the stretch is), i would expect you can cope for a session with those rods, however if you are fishing a more tidal stretch, or there is extra water pushing through, you may struggle.
I can quite comfortably lob out a 5oz lead with ease, but I'm guessing 5oz is not going to be enough, what tc rod would be better?
Thanks mate.

personally i would worry more about the welfare of the fish if you hook a good double on the tidal with those rods you could probably land it no question.. but it would take you a lot longer than it would if you were using rods that weren’t under gunned... taking into account you are going in august when it could be scorching hot therefore less oxygen in the water a prolonged fight in those conditions would be detrimental to the fish
you could probably get a pair of korum rods that would do the job for around £100 why take the risk ?

personally i would worry more about the welfare of the fish if you hook a good double on the tidal with those rods you could probably land it no question.. but it would take you a lot longer than it would if you were using rods that weren’t under gunned... taking into account you are going in august when it could be scorching hot therefore less oxygen in the water a prolonged fight in those conditions would be detrimental to the fish
you could probably get a pair of korum rods that would do the job for around £100 why take the risk ?
Fair comment mate, the fish welfare imo is paramount.
Cheers mate I will look into getting some heavier rods.

How's it going everyone?
I hope all is well, I'm off to the tidal trent in August I was just wondering if my 1.75 tc barbel rods would suffice? I was rattling to the bloke in AD and he said they would be no good as the barbel are massive... Now I remember just about, 33 ish years ago my grandad caught a 26lb mirror carp on Shropshire Union canal at market drayton with his fibre glass match rods, 6lb line, and It took an about an hour to land. Now I know there's a difference between still water and water with a heavy current. But nevertheless it was a fish that was extremely wild and had never been caught before so it fought like a demon almost to the point of snapping his rods. I would say fishing rods have come on leaps and bounds since then... Carbon fibre is extremely durable and also very strong compared to fibre glass,I mean look at that chap who caught that 96lb catfish in Worcester a couple of years back he only had 2lb tc barbel rods.
I welcome your advice.
To be pedant the big cat was Tewkesbury.

I do like 13ft rods nowt wrong with the Korum 2 1/2tc and for me a slightly heavier down stream rod still 13ft. Once hooked a good barbel in a high running off tide and a bit off extra water a lighter rod can get a bit swamped and feel wallowing,hooping over on the cast tripod/rod rest. Much of a learning curve really.

If it’s a one off trip and the river conditions are on your side i don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to buy new rods. I’ve fished areas of Sutton comfortably with 4 oz mid river in low summer water.

it limits you thats all. So you can’t fish it when it’s at its best and pushing through with a few feet on.
also you won’t be hitting many far bankers with 5 oz on a 1.75 rod
So you pick the right peg on the right day and you hopefully have a cracking session.

I understand your point Terry, but by this logic you wouldn't fish any river for barbel in summer with rods less than 2lb+ tc?

I understand your point Terry, but by this logic you wouldn't fish any river for barbel in summer with rods less than 2lb+ tc?
not really there is a massive difference between say the nene and the tidal trent the nene i could probably hold bottom with an ounce ... the tidal trent i need 4oz and i know i could land a barbel a hell of a lot quicker on the nene than on the tidal using 1.75 rods
.....and if it’s too hot i wouldn’t fish for barbel anyway

Would a 2lb tc be still under gunned for the tidal trent? Because to be fair I really only need 1 pair of barbel rods, I do a lot of middle severn fishing, I'm only going to be travelling to the tidal trent once or twice a year, so ideally I need rods that are not going to be overkill for the severn.
Cheers.

It may not always be prudent to want to hold bottom (and I'm referring to a lead on the riverbed here 😁). I've not fished the tidal, however there must be fish closer in? On some pegs at least?
I'm getting this picture in my mind of a chap on this near bank casting to the far bank, thinking there are more fish - and some chap on the far bank doing the opposite. Obviously not that simplistic but it brought a smile to my face.

It may not always be prudent to want to hold bottom (and I'm referring to a lead on the riverbed here 😁). I've not fished the tidal, however there must be fish closer in? On some pegs at least?
I'm getting this picture in my mind of a chap on this near bank casting to the far bank, thinking there are more fish - and some chap on the far bank doing the opposite. Obviously not that simplistic but it brought a smile to my face.
Exactly. A lot of the tidal Trent clubs cross over on bank sides and the bends in the river go both ways.
there’s bound to be plenty of pegs where you can fish a quality inside line.

Chris,
Angling Direct have a deal on at the moment on a half decent twin tip rod which affords you a 2.25lb and 2.75lb tip. My son, who is an occasional angler, has a pair and they would give you options for the odd trip to the TT. £50.00 each at moment.
Regards
Bill

Chris,
Angling Direct have a deal on at the moment on a half decent twin tip rod which affords you a 2.25lb and 2.75lb tip. My son, who is an occasional angler, has a pair and they would give you options for the odd trip to the TT. £50.00 each at moment.
Regards
Bill
Il have a look at those bill, thank you.

If you negate the Initial Collingham stretch, hardly any is fished enough on both banks through. On the odd occasion I have fished and someone plops down opposite on the far bank. A diplomatic flurry, is generally enough. That is very rare though.

Back