• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thoughts on Barbel wising up to rigs

Another facet to this is sharp hooks as mentioned above. It’s anecdotal, but I trialled sharpened hooks on one rod v the other, and the numbers said I got more takes with the sharpened hook. Unfortunately, it’s not really viable on gravel due to the amount of times you have to change the hook (even though I was using a small groundbait pva stick which meant the hook point was always perfect until the rig was brought in).

It’s certainly an easy, effective edge in carp fishing though, and simple physics tells you that a hook point that penetrates easier will convert more pickups to takes. I’m amazed how many people use one hook throughout a long session, obviously it depends what you’re fishing over but if mine aren’t perfect, another one goes on. On the rocky tidal Trent I’ve gone through 10+ hooks in a 24hr session before, cost doesn’t even come into it. It’s the most important item of tackle between you and the fish, why would you sit there with £300 rods and cheap hooks to save £1 a packet?

Another facet to this is sharp hooks as mentioned above. It’s anecdotal, but I trialled sharpened hooks on one rod v the other, and the numbers said I got more takes with the sharpened hook. Unfortunately, it’s not really viable on gravel due to the amount of times you have to change the hook (even though I was using a small groundbait pva stick which meant the hook point was always perfect until the rig was brought in).

It’s certainly an easy, effective edge in carp fishing though, and simple physics tells you that a hook point that penetrates easier will convert more pickups to takes. I’m amazed how many people use one hook throughout a long session, obviously it depends what you’re fishing over but if mine aren’t perfect, another one goes on. On the rocky tidal Trent I’ve gone through 10+ hooks in a 24hr session before, cost doesn’t even come into it. It’s the most important item of tackle between you and the fish, why would you sit there with £300 rods and cheap hooks to save £1 a packet?
A very well made point. I've used quite a few patterns of hook to ascertain the best for fishing gravel rocky bottoms. I've gone back to the pattern initially chosen (Guru pattern). An interned hook point pattern. Using the other patterns I was continually getting point damage. Not so with this pattern. Although I've a quality diamond type sharpener there's only so much a hook will take. Obvious to state, agreed, the hook is the weakest link of any rig.

Forgive me in advance if my comments are difficult to understand because English is not my mother tongue:
It seems to me that most of the line twitch and other "aborted touches" are caused by fish bumping into the wire or touching the feeder. The barbel, which swims with the pectoral fins extended and the champion in this context. If you don’t believe me, I suggest you remove the hook link and relaunch your line on the spot. Some shots are incredibly powerful, up to trigger the baitrunner! There are also the small fish that pull the bait, but I don’t think that’s a big problem.
A set-up adapted to the conditions of the moment is relatively effective (I spent hours in the trees watching the carp and barbel prick to be convinced). I use the semi fixed rig when the flow is not powerful enough to make the fish self-supporting. I do not hesitate, when it is possible to use a flying back lead or to fish slack line because I have confidence in my rig. The size of the bait, the length of the hook link and the sharpening of the hook are also decisive. I sharpen my hooks with the Jag Kit during fishing and I throw a hook when it no longer suits me. Even if my friend still wants to fish with lol.
In the low flow conditions on the river Lot recently I have experienced many, many sharp pull "line-bites". Probably just what you have described.

No point striking, and I have changed to a bolt rig and then wait until the baitrunner is running with a fish already hooked.

With the two carp I hooked after many persistent small tugs, the bites were quite different to those line bites. Only experience can really explain that difference!

I think, when there is a good flow, the barbel approach from downstream and the chances are the bites will be very positive and soon after the fish locates the bait. In low flow you can have a few fish moving around your loose offerings and that's when the line bites happen.

Experience on your piece of river helps decide what approach is needed to deal with this.

Forgive me in advance if my comments are difficult to understand because English is not my mother tongue:
It seems to me that most of the line twitch and other "aborted touches" are caused by fish bumping into the wire or touching the feeder. The barbel, which swims with the pectoral fins extended and the champion in this context. If you don’t believe me, I suggest you remove the hook link and relaunch your line on the spot. Some shots are incredibly powerful, up to trigger the baitrunner! There are also the small fish that pull the bait, but I don’t think that’s a big problem.
A set-up adapted to the conditions of the moment is relatively effective (I spent hours in the trees watching the carp and barbel prick to be convinced). I use the semi fixed rig when the flow is not powerful enough to make the fish self-supporting. I do not hesitate, when it is possible to use a flying back lead or to fish slack line because I have confidence in my rig. The size of the bait, the length of the hook link and the sharpening of the hook are also decisive. I sharpen my hooks with the Jag Kit during fishing and I throw a hook when it no longer suits me. Even if my friend still wants to fish with lol.
A point very well made in English David. Where are you from?

Completely agree Rob. I’m a stickler for a perfect point and especially with the nash claws I use, I’m dressing them frequently at home.
On the bank however I just swap rigs to enhance time in the water but I’ll make a dull hook needle sharp under more controlled conditions as it’s definitely an edge when fishing over gravel.

In the low flow conditions on the river Lot recently I have experienced many, many sharp pull "line-bites". Probably just what you have described.

No point striking, and I have changed to a bolt rig and then wait until the baitrunner is running with a fish already hooked.

With the two carp I hooked after many persistent small tugs, the bites were quite different to those line bites. Only experience can really explain that difference!

I think, when there is a good flow, the barbel approach from downstream and the chances are the bites will be very positive and soon after the fish locates the bait. In low flow you can have a few fish moving around your loose offerings and that's when the line bites happen.

Experience on your piece of river helps decide what approach is needed to deal with this.
Maybe while waiting another second or two the carps would have done a classic run?

no they are the indications people put down to chub the vibrating rod tip is when the barbel is hooked but is not bolting off but is trying to rid itself of the hook imo
I also agree on this Terry. My pb came to this sort of bite. I hit it thinking it was a chub. I soon realised it wasn't when it shot off down stream. 😂

One of the cheapest bits of kit I carry and one of the most valuable!
Screenshot_20220902-180841_Chrome.jpg

One of the cheapest bits of kit I carry and one of the most valuable!
View attachment 20628
I don't know what it is about sharpening hooks on the bankside that otherwise would have been destined for the bin - quite a therapy really saving them for another day and improving them in some cases.

Back