• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Things I miss. Thamesley feeders

Bacon that dosn't leave a white sludge in the pan.
Tins of Meaty Fish Bites.
Maners.
oh yes, better if you grill it,frying, i drive the water off in a dry pan, take the bacon out, dry the pan, and add a little oil, get very hot and it will fry rather than boil, but what a kerfuffle!

Shinning a torch on a white piece of Peacock quill for Tench in the late 70's.
I suppose it's not the done thing nowdays but it was done a lot then.

Spent all night and doing that, was magic when the float lifted or just zipped away. Gosh, going home with tired eyes on the Green line bus the next morning with smelly nets and funny looks from the passengers on the bus.
Getting home and going to bed very sleepy but already planning the next trip in your head as you drifted off to sleep. Sometimes I seem to remember fishing all night with a torch and in the morning going accross into the river next door trying to catch Barbel and Chub until the early evening, now that was hard, really long sesions but many happy times indeed.

Martin

Ditto with a torch mounted on a bankstick, at an angle to the rod or close to its handle, shone at the tip or along the length of a rod usually fishing sausage-meat paste or meat for Kennet barbel in the same era. Then this fella I knew stumbled upon a massive box of betalights in all shapes, sizes and colours at some firm he was visiting, to whom the owner said "Take it, we have loads...".

Ditto with a torch mounted on a bankstick, at an angle to the rod or close to its handle, shone at the tip or along the length of a rod usually fishing sausage-meat paste or meat for Kennet barbel in the same era. Then this fella I knew stumbled upon a massive box of betalights in all shapes, sizes and colours at some firm he was visiting, to whom the owner said "Take it, we have loads...".

Happy Days indeed

Not knowing what was gonna come next was a great feeling !!

back when bite alarms cost 2 arms and 10 legs, it's was a ledger weight at night with a piece of bread mash as an indicator, i feel old saying that.

The endless summer holidays (6weeks) from school fishing for perch on the local canal...
They seemed to last forever
Paul :)

Loved those Thamesley's, block-ended, or pop the ends out for opener-enders.
Image11.jpg

But I loved those Drennan screw-in spring/quiver tips. Fantastic for still and sluggish waters, targetting speci roach.

Chris. Spot on. Had me drooling just looking at that picture.

Yes. dough bobbin for me after tincas.

The tench scenario mentioned by Martin always reminds me of Fred and Joe Taylor, fishing the soon to be filled in Lakes near Heathrow, I think with BV.

Evocative tale in the Creel magazine about the soon to be demise of their favourite tench Heaven.

Graham

Where are they going to move the fish to?
Ah dough bobbin for tench. Used that up on clay pits near Tewkesbury as a lad. (Mythe, guesting after dark)
Funny thing was, we stumbled upon a little trick on how to encourage a take. If it had been quiet for some while, we would tap our nails on the rod blank, just half a dozen times or so, close to the handle. If tench were around, a lift would follow, more often than not.

Where are they going to move the fish to?
Ah dough bobbin for tench. Used that up on clay pits near Tewkesbury as a lad. (Mythe, guesting after dark)
Funny thing was, we stumbled upon a little trick on how to encourage a take. If it had been quiet for some while, we would tap our nails on the rod blank, just half a dozen times or so, close to the handle. If tench were around, a lift would follow, more often than not.

I suppose you could say you nailed 'em then Chris....might be a new method that others could tap into :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back