• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Legend Returns

So....what bait do you use for the rest of the time...and how much a year do you spend on that?

Cheers, Dave.

Pellet, paste, boilie, hemp covers pretty much everything.

Would say I spend £40 absolute tops on all my bait for a season. I'm just not 1 who goes through an awful lot.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking anyone, people can do what they like but i just find it funny when a Netto/ Aldi/ Lidl do these offers because they must go down a treat.

Fair play to you Daniel.

I buy plain Spam, Pepper Spam and, when I can get it Stinky French Garlic Spam. Just like I tend to buy Green Giant Corn. Just what I prefer to use. Either way, it's all a damned sight cheaper than the boilies I use. Now if I were one of those prepared to pay a fiver a tin from Ebay then I might be concerned for my own sanity!;):D As it stands I see no real problem with paying £1.50 for a tin of garlic Spam when to make my own would cost me £1.50 for plain Spam plus a bit more for garlic puree/concentrate. In my circumstances (and quite a few more folks, it would seem) it's a no brainer.:D

Yeh, i agree, maybe i didn't explain myself clearly at first and hopefully i've done a better job with the post above.

Like you say they all work but the Garlic and Pepper flavours haven't become so widely renowned for nothing.

I bought 20 tins in the week and christened my first tin of Garlic Spam with fish of 14lb 9oz, 12lb 4oz and 11lb 7oz.
Thats enough evidence for me......

I bought a dozen tins myself, just on the strength of this thread...if I have a session half as good as yours Jon it will be worth it! I left some on the shelf as well for any other Coventrian piscators.

Went to Lincoln netto today thinking i might of missed the boat found 8 tins, purchased the lot.Hope its good guys.

Your not wrong barry had a 9lb 13oz barb today on the tidal trent.

Used it for the first time on Friday night. Had a fish on the first cast, although I was slightly disappointed with the 7.5lb on the scales given the size of the lump I used :eek:. Followed it up with another on the second cast but lost it ... then it went dead :(

But looking at the Severn thread, the fishing was poor over the weekend, so I'm pleased with the results so far. A lot less hassle than flavouring my own with the whole freeze/thaw/freeze process, and I can keep a few tins in my bag instead of remembering to get it out of the freezer every time. So I'm now wishing I'd bought more than the 10 tins I have!

I made my first trip to Netto's last night (Stamford Hill, London) searching for the holy grail, but to no avail.

They just had the black pepper variety so bought a bit of that anyway.

Is the stinky garlic just a northern thing?

Don't know about the south but they were definitely on sale in the midlands. I got mine nearly a week ago and there were only 15 left then ... and I bought 10 of them. So it may be they're just sold out in Stamford Hill

Hi Simon,

It was in all the branches 'darn sarf'....was being the operative word :p
Judging by the number of trays that marched out of the ones nearest to me in the first few days, my best guess is that if you can't find any...then yes, they have sold out :(

I wouldn't worry too much though...plenty of guys actually prefer the pepper version you have. I often wonder how much of the legendary status of the garlic version is down to rarity driven 'must have' fever, rather than actual fish catching properties.

Cheers, Dave.

I used to be a DJ, and the holy grail was always the new white label pre-release records that meant you had the latest tunes no-one else had. I used to hang round shady back street shops at all hours trying to find the rare stuff.

Now I hang round shady back street shops at all hours trying to find the rare stuff no-one else has. Except that rare stuff is now stinky garlic luncheon meat.

And I wonder why I'm not married..:rolleyes:

Whilst out delivering today I came across a Netto(Kirkby merseyside) so i thought i'd pop in and have a look, they had 16 tins on the shelf, sadly i only had enough spare change for 5 tins. Looking forward to trying it out on a coloured river Wye over the next couple of days.

Hi Simon,

I often wonder how much of the legendary status of the garlic version is down to rarity driven 'must have' fever, rather than actual fish catching properties.

Cheers, Dave.

Couldn't agree more! You can make garlic spam/meat with liquid flavours, including mainline indian spice etc. that is absolutely no different to SFGS. Action Baits from Tony Miles and Trefor West used to do a very similar liquid, opti spice i think it's called,they may still do it. Not sure if Action Baits are still going though, anyone else know?

Opti spice and Sausage Sizzle was a killer combination for me a few years ago, 2mL of each mixed with 50 mL of rape seed oil to bulk it out and then poured over 1Kg of pellet had the barbel in my local stretch crawling up the bank to get at it.
Thanks for the reminder.

Back