• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Legend Returns

Why don't you just flavour your own plain meat rather than pay £1.50 a tin?:confused:

Not knocking it mind because it does work but Netto will be laughing. Roll out the garlic spam a couple of times a year and watch the anglers descend!!:D

1 tray and 3 tins left in York Netto at 8.45 this morning . I could have taken the last tray but kind soul that I am I left it for my fellow anglers :)

Last edited:
Took my own advice and nabbed a tray on the way home last night. Now just need to ninja it into the garage past the wife. Three trays left in Hartlepool.

41 tins acquired!! everything they had left!

Would have been 42 but an old dear asked me if she could have a tin as i queued up to pay! :mad: Too bloody soft thats my fault!:D

Because the plain Spam is £1.50 a tin anyway?:confused::confused::confused:
I tried flavouring plain stuff and it just isn't the same.

You can get decent brands that are right for the job for a lot less than £1.50.

Theres plenty you can add to it for your own uniqueness.

I just couldn't justify going spending £50-£100 on tins of meat:D. I only use it in high water conditions as it is so only get through maybe half a dozen tins a season.

I just couldn't justify going spending £50-£100 on tins of meat:D. I only use it in high water conditions as it is so only get through maybe half a dozen tins a season.

So....what bait do you use for the rest of the time...and how much a year do you spend on that?

Cheers, Dave.

Yep the co-op do a good 'spam' peppery flavour, firm too, and catches barbel.

Fair play to you Daniel.

I buy plain Spam, Pepper Spam and, when I can get it Stinky French Garlic Spam. Just like I tend to buy Green Giant Corn. Just what I prefer to use. Either way, it's all a damned sight cheaper than the boilies I use. Now if I were one of those prepared to pay a fiver a tin from Ebay then I might be concerned for my own sanity!;):D As it stands I see no real problem with paying £1.50 for a tin of garlic Spam when to make my own would cost me £1.50 for plain Spam plus a bit more for garlic puree/concentrate. In my circumstances (and quite a few more folks, it would seem) it's a no brainer.:D

Anybody know if this is a one off or a regular supply?
Unfortunately, there isn't a Netto within 30 miles of Brighton.

Regards,
Jeff

My neice got me ten cans from higham netto, ten cans left apparently. Don't often use meat as I prefer paste. As I'm not into using throwing lots of bait in can you freeze the left overs?

I do Haydn, tbh I usually just take half a tin with me but then again I haven't caught a barbel on my home river all seasson ;p

Jeff i think its probably a one off as i contacted spam earlier this year and they said they were not making it any more! mind you i was told there was none left in any supermarket in the uk so what do i know!

This is the second batch that Netto have had. The first was just into the new year. Prior to Netto stocking it the major supermarkets (Sainsburys IIRC) had stocked it. This latest batch has a much longer sell by date suggesting that it was made at a later date. Somebody must have found a few pallets lying around somewhere as Spam assured me by email that it was a special edition and there would be no more.
If it's any help to anyone, Morrisons tend to stock the peppered Spam alongside the plain stuff.

I think you are spot on chris,i contacted netto earlier in the and they said that they had no more in stock, and spam said that they were not making it any more so somebody must have found a few rogue cases!.:D:D

The sell by date on the batch i got says March 2012 - i presume that you guys wil keep it and fishwith it beyond that date - how much past that date??

I shouldn't worry about sell by dates. A short while back one of the newspapers carried a story about an old man, who, if I remember right, found an old tin of corned beef or some sort of tinned meat from the sixties(possibly earlier). He reportedly ate the stuff and claimed it to be absolutley fine.

I'd have no worries fishing Spam five years out of date. The barbel will still like it.

Yes. Tinned meat from the huts and food caches of the early 20th Century, Scott and Shackleton Antarctic expeditions were found to be still edible, I understand.

sell by dates are more to do with the seller, use by dates on fresh food are more important but not set in stone.

Problem is I have taken quite a liking to the old spam and always have a nibble myself when I open a new can.
Yum Yum.
I to sent an email to Spam earlier this year we should start afacebook petition maybe.
BRING BACK GARLIC SPAM.
Ken

Back