• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Best T.V. Fishing presenters

Those of us who lived in the Midlands never had the opportunity to see those programs as they were only broadcast on southern regional TV but my old mate and fishing partner used to speak fondly of them.

Those of us who lived in the Midlands never had the opportunity to see those programs as they were only broadcast on southern regional TV but my old mate and fishing partner used to speak fondly of them.

Aaaah yes, the good old days when the TV companies had their priorities right and understood where the important folk lived :D:p:D

Cheers, Dave. (Its OK, I put my helmet on before I pressed the 'send' button :D)

a passion for angling is a great tv programme with chris yates and the other guy i cant remember his name now, but for me it would always be john wilson. like him or not he's a character and always used to make me smile.

a passion for angling is a great tv programme with chris yates and the other guy i cant remember his name now, but for me it would always be john wilson. like him or not he's a character and always used to make me smile.

Reading this made me think of some great episodes that certainly made me smile. One involved barbel from the Wensum. I recall he had a bucket full of maggots and he was feeding the swim for a while with handfuls of the favoured grub. Then in went the simple rig with a hook festooned with maggots and wallop! Enjoyed that.

I also recall an insane scrap with a catfish (I think). He was on a little boat and his rod snapped. He managed to land the fish though. Enjoyed that too.

I also recall an insane scrap with a catfish (I think). He was on a little boat and his rod snapped. He managed to land the fish though. Enjoyed that too.

Not the first time either! He'd already snapped one on camera a few series previous whilst fighting a Lake Trout in Canada!! :D "My old mate Nap in Canada will remember fights like this" he said whilst hanging on to the Vundu Catfish. Great shows.

John Wilson every time, I used to video the shows as a kid - I seem to remember they started at 9 on channel 4 on a Sunday night?

I used to watch them over and over - my poor ole mum used to be sick of the sound of him cackling away...

chub fishing on the wensum was i think my favorite episode, followed closely by the tench episode.

the first couple of series were definitely the best :)

As a kid learning to fish John Wilson's early stuff on a Sunday night on C4 was brilliant. Inspiring stuff to a youngster. Now I find his stuff a little predictable and over produced. I remember an old one tench fishing estate lakes when he's waded out a bit, got some optonics in position and proper bobbins. Brilliant stuff. Some of the current stuff is good, like when Simon Scott joins in on thinking tackle, you can tell he's incredibly clued up about his fishing, the waters and he loves a bit of margin fishing, which you never see Fairbrass doing.

Ha ha, yes I used to record them on vhs too when I was little, after watching them I always said that when I get older I would love to fish the river wensum but I'm still waiting.

Must confess I have been watching Robson Green of late I know I know, but I have found him quite entertaining and I have been laughing out loud at some of his quips.

Does that make me a bad man?

Always enjoyed the Day Ticket series with Richard Garner and Trevor Pritchard.To me each programme was just like a days fishing with your mates,plenty of banter and the occasional "wind up":D

I see there is a new series starting on Quest , Freeview channel 38 . Thursday 11 th April 9 .00 PM . Called Rod and Rucksack

Just watched catching the impossible (again) with MB catching that thumping Perch of over 5lb. His excitement, shaky hands and utter joy: tv fishing magic that.

Just watched catching the impossible (again) with MB catching that thumping Perch of over 5lb. His excitement, shaky hands and utter joy: tv fishing magic that.

Agreed - that was a magical moment, perhaps the best fish of a series of whoppers! I love the scrap with the barbel on the Gt Ouse when Martin's giving it some and you can see the fish just sat there mid river hardly trying - really illustrates well what it's like to get stuck into one of those big girls!

used to like a bit of the vintage wilson as well, remember him catching a couple of clonking roach from a weirpool, think it was on the wensum or kennet..?
the breaking of his rod in the boat was a classic, he had a heavier rod set up with the blue soap for the vundu? catfish and a lighter rod set up for whatever, typically he gets the big cat on the lighter set up.. my mrs hates fishing but always watched him with me for his insane laughter and the bloopers.. was good entertainment value..

Back