• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Best T.V. Fishing presenters

Graham Tremble

Hi Guy's,
I have noticed a few uncomplimentary comments concerning the current crop of T.V. presenters ( Danny Fairbrass and Matt Hayes to name but two ). Who do you rate and why?
Regards,
Graham.

I'm at a stage in my life that I don't like much TV at all. The current crop of carp orientated programs are nothing more than advertorials and others seem to made to a formula and padded out with previews and retrospectives either end of the add breaks making up for content. I might be getting on a bit but even I can remember what happened in part one without a five minute reminder at the start of part two.

I actually quite like Matt and Danny. I loved the Catching the Impossible series too with Mr Bowler. Good relaxed style with an appropriate amount of childlike enthusiasm at key moments. That Fishing Adventurer chap is a bit insane, but good for a bit of overseas variety. I think it's possible to overlook the strange peccadillos of certain presenters if the fishing scenes etc have real quality about them.

A stand out show for me was one of John Wilson's. He was in Thailand with his brother. And during their "fishing trip", they managed to find some time to go fishing. It was a big pond and they caught all manner of weird and wonderful creatures. Probably sums up their entire trip.

I think Danny and the Korda crew have done more to bring Carp angling to the masses than anyone. Some see it as a huge product placement exercise but i actually find it very informative and have learnt a great deal from those shows.

Pic of the bunch for pure entertainment would be Henry Gilbey. :)

Henry Gilbey - human, humorous, passionate and entertaining.
Bernard Cribbins makes me smile when he appears with others.

I think out of the current crop Martin Bowler is pretty good, but for me the best in the last 20 years or so has to be good old John Wilson.

Henry Gilby for me. Although I'v done very little sea fishing I find his shows the best out of the current stuff. Nothing comes close to Yates and James though.

For me it has to be Ian Botham, Charlton, Robson Green and Rex Hunt.....
Oh bugger I'm 4 days late.

But really for me it would be Wilson, Cribbins and Yates.

Last edited:
Mick Brown. Seems a very likeable down to earth gent. I enjoyed watching some of his short youtube clips and the various series he did with MH. Obviously he does alot of plugging too....pardon the pun :D

I'm not sure if dear old Jack was the best presenter,.. when looking at the 'Out Of Town ' box sets he seems a bit stilted and lacking charisma.
Must admit that I never noticed it when I was a lad, I only moaned if there happened to be to little angling in a particular weekly instalment.
I cringe when I hear him say 'say the Lords prayer backwards before striking' when he is livebaiting for pike! Different times I guess,..but he inspired my love of the outdoors.
Despite the odd ' alleged misdemeanour' by one of it's presenters!..I still regard Passion for Angling as one of the most memorable series.

What was the program that had a wellington full of maggots in the title sequence and a big old lump who used to proclaim 200 channels and nothing to watch before smashing the **** out of the satellite dish with an axe and doing a video review?

I liked that one. I also liked Matt and Mick in the first rod race programs and the chasing records series they did. I also enjoyed Total fishing, there were some classic bits on there, especially the reviews, the one where Mick Brown, Stoney and Gord Burton I think made tea had me in stitches.

not just fishing,,but jack Hargreaves was interesting and had seemingly gret knowledge of the countryside.

I absolutely agree Iain. It may have been the novelty of it, because there was nothing else remotely like it around at the time, but whatever it was, I loved that programme and really looked forward to each episode. Jacks style was droll, amusing and hugely informative...brilliant.

Cheers, Dave.

Back