• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Best T.V. Fishing presenters

Jack Hargreaves with his Old Out of Town series whilst not only fishing but all country sports in its day was to me the finest of tv programs for all country sport especially fishing, today like Bob is Henry Gilbey, a great representetive for fishing and boy does he get his share of fish on the programs
we aint ever going to get the tv coverage of football,tennis,cricket ect as the
amount of people estimated to be anglers is only around the 2 million marm, yes there are anglers that no longer fish because of umpteen reasons but
i doubt whether the tv moguls will ever take these into there numbers thinking
so we will have to be grateful for what we get:)

"I liked the Bob James Program best River Fishing in the close season"
He's filming the second episode next week
Phil.W

Went out and fed the local pair of swans, because the old girl is sitting on their nest.....came back and posted the same post again. I like to think I was never this bad in years gone by....but to be honest, I can't remember. Oh dear, lol.

Last edited:
Quality Dave!

I know it annoys some folk Dave, but I think it's good to have a laugh now and then. While we are talking, may I comment on your avatar fella? It's just that if the barbel are that big in your local, I would seriously think about only fishing one rod. Double hook-ups like that one are bound to get you into BIG trouble eventually.

(Discovery Cove, Florida Dave?)

Cheers, Dave.

I know it annoys some folk Dave, but I think it's good to have a laugh now and then. While we are talking, may I comment on your avatar fella? It's just that if the barbel are that big in your local, I would seriously think about only fishing one rod. Double hook-ups like that one are bound to get you into BIG trouble eventually.

(Discovery Cove, Florida Dave?)

Cheers, Dave.

Thats what happens when you try and tickle them out on the Avon mate!

Wish I could say that the avatar was me,..but alas no,..it's my son in Cancun Mexico.

Terry Thomas ( No, not the 'Ding-dong !' one ) in the Angling Today series. See how many of you fellow old farts remember that one ! :D

Thats what happens when you try and tickle them out on the Avon mate!

Wish I could say that the avatar was me,..but alas no,..it's my son in Cancun Mexico.

I've got a video of me doing something similar a couple of years ago, the video alone cost $120 but tbh it was worth every penny, those animals are something else.

I agree Ade, did it in Florida and Eilat, great experience. I find it exhilarating but at the same time slightly sad, because I feel sure they are so very intelligent. If only we could make the breakthrough and converse with them, what astonishing things we might discover.

Cheers, Dave.

M bowler or j wade

I find that Jeremy Wade over dramatises the danger he is experiencing, he does get to fish for some exotic species though but hes too much of a drama queen for my liking.

I like the style of Bernard cribbins and Chris Yates

I find that Jeremy Wade over dramatises the danger he is experiencing.

I get that feeling too during some episodes, but then i've never been involved in a plane crash on route to my fishing destination! In all seriousness i think River Monsters is one of the best shows on TV at the moment - Why? Because not only do i enjoy watching it, but i'm allowed to watch it! It's one of those shows that appeals to all - no matter where i am, at home, visiting my Mum or Sister - if the channels are being flicked and River Monsters pops up i hear "oooh, river monsters - do you want to watch this?" Yes please!
I never hear "oooh, Thinking Tackle" or "oooh, Catching the Impossible" no matter how good they are to us anglers. As a kid i'd sit with my mum watching Go Fishing so perhaps Wilson and Wade have that je ne sais quoi that appeals to non anglers. Both great presenters but i'm sticking with Henry as my no.1!

Back