• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

I'll be joining in a week before your probable May group Soiree Bill.
Excellent, good luck Graham. I did put my name down for The Tenchfishers Horseshoe get together this year but it clashes with the Kent Fish-In on Abbeymeads at Medway Valley. All being well Iā€™ll do the Horseshoe fish-in next spring, so many Iā€™d like to attend but all ā€œcrammedā€ into a short period of time.

6:30am start today, ended up walking half way round the the lake pushing the barrow in the dark before I settled on a swim. Similar pattern to last Thursday, as soon as daylight showed the roach were on me. A big bash with the spomb and after a while the roach buzzed off. Ended the day at 3:30pm with six Tench , a 3lber, two 4ā€™s and three 5lb biggest 5-15. Blood donation session tomorrow so likely back down on Wednesday for another bash šŸ¤ž

Had my first session this afternoon, just one bite that resulted in a nice 6.05 so at least Im off the mark !
Well done, more successful than me !

Iā€™ve done 2 short tench sessions this week with no sign of fish or better still a bite.

Just checked my diaries and that is my first proper tench fishing since 2008 !

Well done, more successful than me !

Iā€™ve done 2 short tench sessions this week with no sign of fish or better still a bite.

Just checked my diaries and that is my first proper tench fishing since 2008 !
Keep going Tim, theyā€™ll come

Haha join the club 15 hours fished so far.
Keep going Paul, my fault for starting after Tench in February but I did 54 hours over eight sessions before I saw my first Tinca this year. I hope you all get amongst ā€˜em soon šŸ‘

Haha join the club 15 hours fished so far.
FWIW I think Iā€™ve started about 3 - 4 weeks too early.

Iā€™ve got one more short trip pencilled in for later this week and I will fish deeper water on the basis that they havenā€™t been in the shallow stuff previously. I canā€™t fish next week.

Last year on the same water (70 acres) they didnā€™t feed consistently until late May and that coincided almost perfectly with the water being closed to allow the carp to spawnā€¦ā€¦I think it was similar on Horseshoe last year too (15 miles away).

On the lake in the dark this morning and fishing just before 6am . Had to wait ā€˜till 11am for my first action but then caught steadilyā€™till I left just after 6pm. Fourteen fish to 7-14 with two other sevens in the support cast. A REAL first for today was having a Robin land on my head, not once but twice, as I was feeding maggots to him. Over the moon with the experience šŸ˜
IMG_8790.jpeg

Morning Gents,

First session of the year weekend just gone. Arrived just after first light to see only 2 anglers on so plenty of swim choice. Had a walk around and settled on a swim with the idea to bait very lightly and fish method feeders. The venue is only 3 acres and averages 4-5 feet deep and is VERY weedy.

Spoke to a chap who had done the previous night as he was leaving and he informed me he'd had one and had put some bait in (hemp and maggot).

I moved into his swim and as I didn't know how much bait he'd deposited I decided to just fish the ground bait method feeder and a single piece of fake corn and a few real kernels to top off the attraction.

I ended up with 7 tench to 6.12 with 2 others over 6. A thoroughly enjoyable session. Just a shame it'll be a few weeks before I can get out again.

Thanks

Lewis

Attachments

• 20240406_182059.jpg
    20240406_182059.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20240406_095853.jpg
    20240406_095853.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240406_172636.jpg
    20240406_172636.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240407_061241.jpg
    20240407_061241.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 55
Morning Gents,

First session of the year weekend just gone. Arrived just after first light to see only 2 anglers on so plenty of swim choice. Had a walk around and settled on a swim with the idea to bait very lightly and fish method feeders. The venue is only 3 acres and averages 4-5 feet deep and is VERY weedy.

Spoke to a chap who had done the previous night as he was leaving and he informed me he'd had one and had put some bait in (hemp and maggot).

I moved into his swim and as I didn't know how much bait he'd deposited I decided to just fish the ground bait method feeder and a single piece of fake corn and a few real kernels to top off the attraction.

I ended up with 7 tench to 6.12 with 2 others over 6. A thoroughly enjoyable session. Just a shame it'll be a few weeks before I can get out again.

Thanks

Lewis
Great start to your Tench season Lewis. Well caught. I love the picture of the Kelly Kettle looks like Mount Vesuvius šŸ˜šŸ‘

First tench outing of the season. Had one about 4lb after an hour, then another wait before both rods went off in the space of two minutes. First in the net was 5.2 and the second a new p.b. 7.12.
Chuffed !!!!
Well caught Mike. A new PB is always special, great start to your Tench campaign (even if you did hook yourself as well šŸ¤£)

Back