• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

Had some nice fish in the morning on float & ‘pin. Fished pellet & corn over groundbait, no loose feed to help avoid the rudd. Sticky bloodworm & krill gb & pellet. Worked well although 3 bream crashed the party. Apols for ugly mugshots

IMG_7684.jpeg

IMG_7698.jpeg

IMG_7679.jpeg

IMG_7690.jpeg

Yes, but the fish just not really moved in this year.
On the Tench S 3 day fish in the only tench came from past the top car park.
Carp are there in numbers road swims but expect spawning v soon
CWP update; my carp started spawning yesterday morning (6 acres) and I’ve just had a message to say SG (70 acres) is shut from today for a month.

So that’s another tench season passed me by.

Early start this morning, up at 4:05am for reasons that men of a certain age will understand and couldn’t get back to sleep so on the lake by 5:00am. Parked up and took a walk, first swim I approached and a Tench rolled..Invitation accepted and was fishing by 5:30. At about 7:30 I had what I hoped was the first of the day, a 5-13 female graced the net, 9:40am saw the second run of the day but not a Tench, a 20-06 Mirror and that was almost that for the day, almost ‘cos at about 10:20am another run resulted in hooking another carp which got it’s freedom after six or seven minutes of playing when the hook hold went and that was really that for the day other than a Roach and a Perch. There was a fair amount of carp activity and some Tench activity up to about 11am and then all went quiet. I was kept amused feeding a Robin, frightening off a pair of Magpies trying to steel Robin’s maggots and very pleased to see a Common Sandpiper.

653f2a32-58dd-4e86-854e-1eff41a6c1c9.jpeg

Another funny old day! Fishing by 6am but despite seeing fish rolling early on not a touch until a fast run at just after 11am which resulted in a 5-07, after that the silvers moved in and the bobbin just didn’t sit still. I tried a 12mm boilie but that wasn’t to their taste. Just before I packed up I had a scorcher of a take but nothing ! Back tomorrow with my son and grandson but I feel that the day will be more about catching Perch on a whip but we’ll see. One very good result for the day was selling three rods thru’ the Tenchfishers forum, technology is great when it works 🤣

Another funny old day! Fishing by 6am but despite seeing fish rolling early on not a touch until a fast run at just after 11am which resulted in a 5-07, after that the silvers moved in and the bobbin just didn’t sit still. I tried a 12mm boilie but that wasn’t to their taste. Just before I packed up I had a scorcher of a take but nothing ! Back tomorrow with my son and grandson but I feel that the day will be more about catching Perch on a whip but we’ll see. One very good result for the day was selling three rods thru’ the Tenchfishers forum, technology is great when it works 🤣
A bit chilly here in Essex Bill. Getting my thermals out again to consider a dip tomorrow

just one tench and a bream for me today, as Alec said its been a chilly day in Essex, heating back on tonight !! Guy on opposite bank was catching all day, right time right place !

A bit chilly here in Essex Bill. Getting my thermals out again to consider a dip tomorrow
Definitely chilly in Kent as well Alec, didn’t help that I was plotted up facing the northeaster, several layers kept me well comfortable but wasn’t expecting to be wearing my Snugpak in late May!

Oh well another funny old day. Late start, and then three fish lost (suspect carp) one due to lead clip breaking and allowing the hooklink to free, never had that before, and two fish that weeded me and shed the hook leaving me with the weed! Finally got a 5-15 male just before 1pm and then got cut off twice on a gravel bar before landing seven carp to 16-14, six being doubles. I would have swapped the carp for Tinca’s but we can’t control what picks up the bait. My son had a 5-10 Tench and a 13-15 carp but alas the silvers weren’t playing so grandson Stan went home after a couple of hours with his Nan when she brought me another couple of pints of reds down and walked our son’s dog. Tomorrow driving up to Bawburgh in Norfolk for a Tenchfishers get together Friday ‘till Sunday, I didn’t catch last year so hoping to do better this trip.

Finally saw a fish roll last week - right in the edge but was fishing a bit further out. Had an absolute screamer the next night - and a the hook pulled! Hopefully I'm in the right area now, will keep baiting and fishing this spot - subject to the close for the carp spawning. Anyway, feel like I'm getting closer!

What with work commitments and spawning fish we gave the little lake a rest, and tried another club lake. Sadly nothing on the tinca front just a small carp, the same for my son. The highlight of the day was a swam of bees passing my sons peg, Usain Bolt would have been second. 🤣
Hope to give the little lake another go at the weekend🤞🏻

Just completed my first 24hours on the Tenchfishers fish-in at Bawburgh. One run in that time and I’m still on a high from a new PB yesterday evening. 9-03 😁 not the biggest to have been caught a chap on another lake had a 10-15 yesterday part of a six fish catch

Attachments

• IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6712.jpeg
    IMG_6712.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 140
Just completed my first 24hours on the Tenchfishers fish-in at Bawburgh. One run in that time and I’m still on a high from a new PB yesterday evening. 9-03 😁 not the biggest to have been caught a chap on another lake had a 10-15 yesterday part of a six fish catch
Congrats on the pb Bill, thoroughly well deserved 👍

Congratulations Bill, you've worked hard for that. Well done!

My second 24 hours at Bawburgh drawing to a close and little to report. At about 1am the left hand rod hit the butt only for me to strike into nothing and while standing holding the rod feeling bemused the RH rod took to the butt with the same result! Obviously a liner moving across the swim 🤷‍♂️
A couple of hours away from the rods yesterday afternoon for a bbq gave a chance to meet up with new aquantsnces, have a bite and a couple of beers. My mind now turns to tidying up what was a very orderly bivvy yesterday and to start thinking of home. Got a couple or three more hours to fish so forever hopeful of another fish 🤞but I can’t complain if one doesn’t come I’ve got a new PB from the trip 😁😁

Back