• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

Ady.
Stop it 🛑

I'm on a 100+ acre place. They seem to be harder than smaller ones.....unless Ady??

Only consolation of sorts for me is that better anglers nearby getting same results
You're right of course Graham and I liked the red stop sign btw. Apologies. I couldn't help myself.🫣

Last edited:
If your on the lookout for a good hook, these have been amazing...
20230429_122959.jpg

Do you find the points last the Korda hooks I’m using at the moment hook points are like chocolate in boiling water.
I didnt have an issue with the XS hooks (I’ve used sizes 20 and 12) blunting.

But then I used quite a few Korda Kranks last winter and they were ok too. But I do carry a file or two - so I sharpen hooks as a routine operation.

Well done Cliff on your pb. Back this afternoon with a mate. Mate was in the swim I was last week, I the next one along. Both blanked.

Which Korda hooks Dan?
Wide gape in size 8 and 10 I think it’s more that at that size where they are trying to make them so sharp now the point is just getting so thin it’s not taking much to burr it especially when using small bags to punch out that bit further for the tench. It’s ether turning other in the bag, or when I reel in over the gravel spots I’ve found. Lovely hooks sharp nice pattern catch fish but just a little too easily turned over for my preference. I prefer something a little more in the middle of balance between sharp and durable more so for confidence knowing if the fish are in the swim it’s not blunting straight away and when the rig resets it’s still a good chance of not getting done again 🤣 I’ll go back thinking anglers for the moment there slightly more cruder gage of wire on the hook but points take more abuse

I like the Guru hooks they're my go to hooks in the MGWM pattern for tench and barbel.
This tench was caught on Friday by a newly made acquaintance. Any idea what the red spots are?

Attachments

• IMG20230428163410.jpg
    IMG20230428163410.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Pond pest bacteria infection or by leaches will heal up with some nice food prob be sat up somewhere for winter

I like the Guru hooks they're my go to hooks in the MGWM pattern for tench and barbel.
This tench was caught on Friday by a newly made acquaintance. Any idea what the red spots are?
Have you tried the Gardner target specimen hooks Ady? Nice pattern and not easily blunted in my experience, have been using them for 2 seasons now for pretty much everything except carp/pike

Managed a couple of hrs yesterday on our local club lake.id tinkered with my bait mix after blanking on my last
2 sessions🙄 I knew there was nothing wrong with the old mix but it’s the dabbler in me 🤣
As usual I met my son there and as usual he was after the tench, but ended up with 4 carp to 12lb
I sat behind the rod for 30mins the the bobbin shot up and after a short tussle a 5lb tench sat in the net🎣
A recapture my son caught the same fish a couple of weeks ago🎣 were beginning to think the mythical 6lb’er
Might not exist 🤔 but that’s the draw it might so are quest will continue 👍🎣

Attachments

• 79992A3A-E9F3-45EB-9EDE-3A315A12D297.jpeg
    79992A3A-E9F3-45EB-9EDE-3A315A12D297.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 71
Have you tried the Gardner target specimen hooks Ady? Nice pattern and not easily blunted in my experience, have been using them for 2 seasons now for pretty much everything except carp/pike
I haven't Alan. But they look an awesome pattern. When next in the shop I'll buy a pack to try.

Went out yesterday for the first time in over a month as I had work and a trip to Scotland for some bird watching.

Clanked the gate of the fishery open at 04.45 and sat there with just the odd bleep for nearly twelve hours and then finally got a drop back I could have a go at at and two minutes later a lovely 2lb 3oz Eel litterely slid into the net nicely lip hooked and the hook fell out in the net, weighed and put back in less than a minute, must be a world record that😅 nowt better than laughing at your own jokes.

Weather up here has not been great a few anglers have said the tenching has been patchy, yesterday air temp got to 15C as was the water temp.

Had planned to go again this morning but got a few aches sat in the chair for so long must get a better one. I did actually see a bloke using a proper garden chair from the early 70's only a few of us will remember those chairs?

Probably my last bit of fishing for a bit now.

Another 30 hour blank for me.
And for 2 pals fishing other cotswold well known lakes.
That's about 80 hours blanking this year.

It is tempting to go to somewhere else that's full of tench...but... .I'll persevere. Or as the Missus says.....Keep life wasting.
Are you sticking to the classic Tench style. Drennan inline feeders and maggots G?.

Back