• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

I started after the rivers shut in late March. Two blanks with the air and water temperatures 9-10 Deg C. Then away with work for over 3 weeks.

Back last week and the third session (with higher temps) resulted in 5 tench. Biggest three were 8.08, 7.07 and a male of 5.13lb. A very pleasing shortish session; christening the C2's after having to do 'an-about-turn' after my first choice water was full up with carp anglers.

Last edited:
We spent a couple of hours on our local club lake this afternoon.
This was my second blank in succession, I found myself checking I’d got a hook tied on 🤣 as normal I fished my own bait my son fished the same bait 👍🏻 although no tench graced his net he managed 2 carp a 13lb6oz & 15lb9oz so it’s not the bait that works 😉
I’ve told him he’s just rubbing it in now🤣
Here’s to next time (midweek) 🤞🏻

Can’t buy a bite at the moment. My second trip to SWS at Larkfield for a two day one night session. Arrived at daybreak on Monday and had a look at a couple of the lakes but couldn’t find any Tench showing so settled on a nice looking swim on The Ocean. The wind was blowing into the bay. The water was deeper than I expected with a fairly constant 17ft from 40 yards out ‘till it reached a sharp sloping marginal shelf. There was a thin layer of we’d on the bottom but more on the marginal shelf. I fished two rods at 35 yards and one at about 12 yards at the base of the shelf. During the day I fished maggot feeder over a mainly hemp feed with a couple of handfuls of tares and maples into the mix. The obligatory dead red maggots also amongst the mix. I switched over to 12mm boilies and pop ups at night in case any Anguilla’s took a fancy but alas….nowt, zilch not a nibble. I’ve a good two pints of healthy reds left so planning to spend Thursday morning on my local (which hasn’t been fishing too well of late) to give them a swimming lesson 😁
Sounds hard going Bill. I saw the advert for the venue in the Tenchfisher. Seems it has a lot of potential for a real whacker though.

Sounds hard going Bill. I saw the advert for the venue in the Tenchfisher. Seems it has a lot of potential for a real whacker though.
Steep learning curve Ady. I’m not expecting too much but always hopeful. There’s a lot of water to go at but I’ve already found a couple of the bailiffs helpful so fingers crossed 🤞

Two day trip down to Hampshire to fish with a very long standing friend on his local waters. Both days we fished on the Portsmouth Club waters with him choosing Tithe Barn on Tuesday, mate Dave managed one Tench but the only fish I caught was one that I hoped I’d never catch, stillwater Barbel ! and I caught three of the blighters. Put a fair bend in the rod and scrapped very well but didn’t seem right and strangely I feel embarrassed to tell you I caught them. Wednesday we went to Funtley and despite a good start both catching a Tench within the first ninety minutes the rest of the day was slow. Dave managed a second mid afternoon but that was that, three Tench between us with me loosing 3-1 in the bragging rights overall BUT I did land the largest a fish of 4-06. A great trip though catching up, drinking beer and eating nice grub.

Monday 24th
Water temps 11-12 degC. 10 tench up to 8.06 and 8.04 lb.
Wednesday 26th water temp first thing was still 11 Deg C.

A real red letter day at 19 tench up 7.01 lb. I haven't totted up yet but will be close to a 100 lb bag. Finished at 6 pm.

Country seems to be one of contrasts at the moment until the water warms up right across the country.

Monday 24th

A real red letter day at 19 tench up 7.01 lb. I haven't totted up yet but will be close to a 100 lb bag. Finished at 6 pm.

Country seems to be one of contrasts at the moment until the water warms up right across the country.
Ady.
Stop it 🛑

I'm on a 100+ acre place. They seem to be harder than smaller ones.....unless Ady??

Only consolation of sorts for me is that better anglers nearby getting same results

At last !!!!! and a new PB at 8.02, very happy :)

1682615130272.jpeg

Monday 24th

Well caught Ady two cracking days fishing 👍

Back