• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

I've had a couple of trips to my club venue which consists of three small ponds. The club acquired the site several decades ago when it was a derelict Brickworks and neglected ponds. It's been through several iterations with the usual stocking of carp, tench and roach. But in more recent times the club have completely changed the venue for a long term project favouring true crucians and tench with a sprinkling of roach and rudd.

279369140_10158765710132253_1650085867048905407_n.jpg 280302079_10158790229662253_2155069022840004669_n.jpg 280288088_10158790205017253_1603615976007883062_n.jpg

At the moment the crucians are generally in the 8oz/14oz range with the occasional one a little bigger. Similarly the tench are typically 1lb/2lb+ with one of the ponds holding tench to around 5lbs again with the odd one maybe around 6lbs. Not a king carp in sight so its perfect for a fairly light approach. I favour the pole at around 8mtrs to 10mtrs.

278897601_10158765710682253_6273938503053988784_n.jpg crucian.jpg 279054921_10158765710542253_4941095798811718449_n.jpg

Last week I fished the lower pond, tucked away in a quiet corner, fishing at around 10mtrs alongside a good patch of lily pads. For the first time I found the bigger tench that inhabit that pond. The short afternoon session produced several tench between 4lbs and a couple ounces short of 5lbs. Very satisfying and really enjoyable. I typically only fish this venue when the rivers are closed but I think I'll be giving it a go throughout the summer.

280531279_10158790229892253_3790439428145469285_n.jpg 280881437_10158790230002253_2488713957933853580_n.jpg 280661964_10158790230142253_6447527993068486501_n.jpg

I've had a couple of trips to my club venue which consists of three small ponds. The club acquired the site several decades ago when it was a derelict Brickworks and neglected ponds. It's been through several iterations with the usual stocking of carp, tench and roach. But in more recent times the club have completely changed the venue for a long term project favouring true crucians and tench with a sprinkling of roach and rudd.

View attachment 19372 View attachment 19373 View attachment 19374

At the moment the crucians are generally in the 8oz/14oz range with the occasional one a little bigger. Similarly the tench are typically 1lb/2lb+ with one of the ponds holding tench to around 5lbs again with the odd one maybe around 6lbs. Not a king carp in sight so its perfect for a fairly light approach. I favour the pole at around 8mtrs to 10mtrs.

View attachment 19375 View attachment 19376 View attachment 19377

Last week I fished the lower pond, tucked away in a quiet corner, fishing at around 10mtrs alongside a good patch of lily pads. For the first time I found the bigger tench that inhabit that pond. The short afternoon session produced several tench between 4lbs and a couple ounces short of 5lbs. Very satisfying and really enjoyable. I typically only fish this venue when the rivers are closed but I think I'll be giving it a go throughout the summer.

View attachment 19378 View attachment 19379 View attachment 19380
Lovely fishing ….I applaud your club on it’s stocking policy Neil unlike my local club who had a two acre “pond” excavated next to a much bigger water which is full to the gunnels with carp. They asked the membership via the club forum what we would like to see stocked and almost to a man (who bothered to respond) everyone said Tench, Crucian, Rudd in the main but specifically asked no king carp. What have they stocked…..Carp!!!
Your ponds could become a nice oasis for you….Enjoy 👍👍

Last edited:
The car is all packed. bar my food and Maggots. Earlyish start tomorrow for my trip down to Linear. Lots of Tench coming out of Manor Farm lake. Hopefully the Hunts corner Tench are biting as well. Really looking forward to this, not just for the fishing, but having a well earned break from work as well, and being by the waters edge for a few days is something I really enjoy.

The car is all packed. bar my food and Maggots. Earlyish start tomorrow for my trip down to Linear. Lots of Tench coming out of Manor Farm lake. Hopefully the Hunts corner Tench are biting as well. Really looking forward to this, not just for the fishing, but having a well earned break from work as well, and being by the waters edge for a few days is something I really enjoy.
Good Luck Simon, enjoy the break and catch a few Tinca’s. I’m sure we all look forward to your report(s). I’m lucky and can go when I want ‘cos of being retired but well remember having to fit fishing in round a working life. Forget work for as long as you are off and just RELAX 👍👍

I arranged to meet my son at our local club lake yesterday, He wast due to arrive until 10am so I was left to my own devices first thing, I need the extra time, trying to catch him up 😉 he’s well over double figures now on our tench sessions.
After walking my dog I set off for the lake, our venue is only 1.5 - 2 miles inland and I was greeted with a cool sea mist
And the needles fog horn in the distance.
The mist soon cleared and I set about trying to temp the tincas. Iam using my own rolled boilie’s which have served us well, we’ve been catching all our fish on them, I’ve coupled with a pva mesh bag, I not casting any distance it’s all close range within 5-10 meters or so, just a under arm cast.
First cast resulted in a lost fish a carp to snags, then nothing until 10am when I managed a 3lb tinca 👍,
By this time my son had arrived and was fishing another part of the lake doing battle with the resident carp and losing🤬.
With nothing happening I moved to a another peg I’d baited earlier and settled in, I could see Nathan from my position and true to form he netted a 3.6 tinca followed by a 10.9 common, plus he had a couple of smaller carp but no more luck with the tench
I managed one more tench of 3.5 👍 then the bites dried up so we called it a day, hopefully we’re be back in the week for another go

Attachments

• CAEF5CF5-5362-4519-86A4-84F23A21D8BF.jpeg
    CAEF5CF5-5362-4519-86A4-84F23A21D8BF.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 6500163C-0A14-438E-85CF-23611553BFC4.jpeg
    6500163C-0A14-438E-85CF-23611553BFC4.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 105
  • B9315145-C0AF-4E7D-8CD8-D8680CFCDCB7.jpeg
    B9315145-C0AF-4E7D-8CD8-D8680CFCDCB7.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 109
Not long home from eight hours on the pit. Arrived a little bit later this morning and didn’t have baits out ‘till 6:45am. First fish at 7:25. Ended the session with nine Tench ranging 2lb 13oz - 7lb 14oz. Got rather damp and lost a couple of feeders in the weed but a small price to pay for a nice Tench. Proves that the clip releases ok should a fish get weeded. Back Thursday for another bash.

Not long home from eight hours on the pit. Arrived a little bit later this morning and didn’t have baits out ‘till 6:45am. First fish at 7:25. Ended the session with nine Tench ranging 2lb 13oz - 7lb 14oz. Got rather damp and lost a couple of feeders in the weed but a small price to pay for a nice Tench. Proves that the clip releases ok should a fish get weeded. Back Thursday for another bash.
Hi bill sounds like you had another good session, your certainly doing well on your tinca quest 🎣
Good luck Thursday, we’re hoping to get out again Thursday also 🤞

Hi bill sounds like you had another good session, your certainly doing well on your tinca quest 🎣
Good luck Thursday, we’re hoping to get out again Thursday also 🤞
Many thanks Robert. This spring has been beyond my wildest dream to be honest. I did start in early April this year rather than May like last year and caught from the off which I wasn’t expecting. With the exception of an eight pounder which I know I’ve had twice, identifiable from a red “pox like rash” on it’s flanks, it’s difficult to say how many of the others are second or third catches but it doesn’t detract from my enjoyment at catching them. I intend fishing for Tinca ‘till the end of June and then I’ll be after Barbus on the rivers. My problem is that I have to travel a fair distance for my Barbel fishing but the Tench are ten minutes down the road. I’ve two other gravel pits on my club ticket that I want to try as well but I’m finding it difficult to tear myself away from the current fishery !
Good Luck to you both if you get out Thursday. Keep us all posted 👍👍

Nothing to report sadly. Lost one at the net earlier today when it caught my other line, not a big fish. Lost a Carp yesterday evening that snagged me in the near side margin. Manage to free it, but with only 10lb fluorocarbon hook length on, it was probably always going to break.

Strangely, my mate who’s Carp fishing, has just had one of 7lb 6oz and he didn’t even want to weigh it. Nice fish.

Well I'm home now, dried out and sorted and everything away. No more fish were forthcoming. Trip didn't quite go to plan if I'm honest, and if I go to Linear again, I'll fish it differently and maybe take a rake, as the margins were full of pond and silkweed. Give them a good raking and fish on the shelf, and also help in the landing of fish. No other close in features to speak of either.

I ended up fishing for the Carp as I couldn't get either the Maggot feeder or the method to work for me. Landed one Tench but lost two fish in the marginal weed, a Carp and a Tench.

Hunts corner is a lovely little lake, more suited to Carp fishing than it is for Tench fishing IMO, but there's defiantly good Tench in there. I just don't think you can target them easily, and may as well fish for the Carp and see if you catch one that way. It's well kept, clean and tidy, and Rat free.

Well I'm home now, dried out and sorted and everything away. No more fish were forthcoming. Trip didn't quite go to plan if I'm honest, and if I go to Linear again, I'll fish it differently and maybe take a rake, as the margins were full of pond and silkweed. Give them a good raking and fish on the shelf, and also help in the landing of fish. No other close in features to speak of either.

I ended up fishing for the Carp as I couldn't get either the Maggot feeder or the method to work for me. Landed one Tench but lost two fish in the marginal weed, a Carp and a Tench.

Hunts corner is a lovely little lake, more suited to Carp fishing than it is for Tench fishing IMO, but there's defiantly good Tench in there. I just don't think you can target them easily, and may as well fish for the Carp and see if you catch one that way. It's well kept, clean and tidy, and Rat free.
Well done Simon you gave it a go and hopefully chilled out 👍

Five and one hook pull today. Ranged from 3-14 to 5-13. Three of them were male which is first time I’ve caught more males than females. The day started with a cock up. Nearly got to the lake and realised that I’d forgotten my phone. Ten seconds of thinking “what if” I decided to turn round and go back for it. It’s only ten minutes each way but result was that the time it took the bay I wanted was just taken so I fished a swim I’d never tried before for Tench.

Payed another visit to our local club lake again today, to say it was hard going was a understatement.
I blanked today, Nathan managed one tench of 4.14 the only fish of the day for us.
Until next time maybe over the weekend 🤞

Six ‘n’ half hour blank this morning. Not a touch, not a sign! Apparently the carp were spawning over the weekend so perhaps Tinca has had a belly full of protein rich carp spawn 😱🤣?

Last weeks session resulted in one tinca landed and one big un lost, once again my Dad bagged up and showed me how its done with 11 tench to 6.5lb.

Well this week wasnt much different 🤣 i went in the peg my Dad was in last week and he chose a new one.. i had 6 to 5.5lb and he had 12 to 6lb 😂
He also managed a 1lb+ roach, rudd and perch. I had a couple rudd to 8oz and then lost a huge one of about 2lb just before packing up.

One last lake session next week before the glorious 16th, probably going to try target the roach and rudd this time.

Visited the little lake Saturday morning for another go at the tench. fished until lunchtime with no luck on the tench front. I had one small carp and lost a bigger one to the inconveniently placed snags🙄😂.
With signs of spawning activity here also bill I expect they are favouring a different food source😉
We’re thing about a evening session tomorrow depends on work, but off Friday (jubilee day) so May go then instead 🤞

Great day today, went to the pit with my youngest son who is an occasional angler (very occasional!). He fished a lake behind me and started with two rods set up for carp. He rung the changes but alas nowt! Early afternoon he talked himself into trying maggot feeder, his first fish was a 5-06 Bream, bigger than any bream he’d previously caught. His afternoon finished with three bream 5-06, 6-06, 6-08. Two Tench (never caught a Tench before) of 6-01 & 6-12 and a mirror carp of 11-10. I was tickled pink with his catches 😁
I only had one take all day, a bream BUT a new PB Bream and it actually gave a bit of an account of itself and pulled back !

860D7F7F-49B9-4DB6-8FF0-5569BB0B07D7.jpeg60A89179-4C1F-41FA-85F4-BA5BAAA0B680.jpeg

Back